X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Thanks Das Boot.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964

Click image for larger version Name:	P3260208.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	158367
      No wooden deck?

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

Nope, is only used when in harbour during mantenance or loading, probably stored in harbour to be used on different boats, as it has standard measures queal to each type XXIII.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

You're killing me, Manfred!

YOU TASK ME!!!...

It's official, you're the most detail crazed r/c submariner on your side of the Atlantic!

David
          Bowing deeply to the North-East
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good catch, Casey. Just ordered this stencil.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Good catch, Casey. Just ordered this stencil.

David
              Friends call me the scrounger. I look until I find it. I ordered one too.
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Stop bowing, start working, i wish we had the Caswell days, he at least was on your back, retirement makes you lazy, the type XXIII deserves it.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Stop bowing, start working, i wish we had the Caswell days, he at least was on your back, retirement makes you lazy, the type XXIII deserves it.

Manfred.
                  Oh, God!... Got Mike off my back; had smooth sailing with Bob; retired, and before I could catch my breath you jump all over me.

So... this is what retirement is like?! **** that!

Off to the shop where I will curl up in the fetal position. Have a good cry, then get back to work.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

You do that, and show us how it is done.

Manfred.

Captain whip
                    I went underground

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

You do that, and show us how it is done.

Manfred.

Captain whip
                      Jeez, I thought Dave was a hard ass.

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        You're killing me, Manfred!

YOU TASK ME!!!...

David
                        Bowing deeply to the North-East
                        He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Well I was just happy that you were building yourself another type XXIII to the same standard that you had built for others previously. Though if you built yourself one that was more badass then the earlier ones, I certainly wouldn’t hold that against you. Just saying.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                            Well I was just happy that you were building yourself another type XXIII to the same standard that you had built for others previously. Though if you built yourself one that was more badass then the earlier ones, I certainly wouldn’t hold that against you. Just saying.
                            That's right.... more gasoline. Thanks... pal!
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Near the stern of the submarine, each side, are two rows of what I'll call (in the absence of any authoritative explanation) 'zincs'. Near the sawing, grinding, filing and sanding I did to separate the upper and lower hull halves some of these zincs were obliterated. Time had come to scratch-build and install the missing zincs.

Here you see the endgame: I'm finishing off the installation of the after set of zincs on the upper row, port side (the model is upside down).

Each of the replacement zincs were a length of stretched-sprue CA'ed in place after laying out their position and spacing with a pencil.

The kit provided the sprue, which I heated and stretched while semi-molten. An acquired art. The amount of heat, over such and such an area, with just so much tension applied, and that tension throttled till the desired diameter is achieved and halted till the plastic once again assumes a solid state. Much good fun. If you don't burn yourself... you're simply not trying hard enough!

CA was applied with tools, not directly from the tube. Here I'm using a spatula type application tool to drive the adhesive along the length of a zinc, bonding it securely to the hull.

A fault with the kit design was Bronco's attempt to capture the oval shaped upper limber holes (the function of limber holes is to vent and flood the spaces between inner and outer hull) at a high draft-angle of the injection forming tools hull cavity. To prevent entrapment, they made the wall thickness so thin at the extreme draft-angle point (near the top of the hull) that a complete fill during the injection of the molten polystyrene was not achieved and the resulting openings were miss-formed. That had to be fixed!

I skinned over these holes with a CA-baking soda grout, then ground out properly shaped limber holes. This started with blanking off the hole from the inside with some masking tape.

CA was squirted over the masking tape and run up to wet the edges of the hole. Then baking soda was sprinkled on. The high pH of the baking soda catalyzed the CA almost immediately. This build-up continued till the hard grout was well over the contour of the bow.

Before going to town with rasp and second-cut file I outlined around the grout with a pencil. The pencil hashing would tell me to stop with the file work. To the right is a contoured grout filled hole that has already been marked, with the aid of a stencil, to indicate the desired shape of the 'new' limber hole.

To the right is how I make the rough-cut to the limber hole -- using a 1/16-inch drill bit as a hand-held mill. To the left you see a finished limber hole, given final form with careful use of flat and round diamond files. Nothing to it!

Invariably there will be pits and scratches around the work, so I rub in some touch-up putty. I permit the putty to get onto the inside edges of the limber holes. That still pliable putty is then pushed into the edges with a rod of a diameter slightly smaller than the width of the limber hole. The rod is swished around a bit and pulled out. Once the putty dries, the surface is wet-sanded and primed.

[/QUOTE]

Click image for larger version  Name:	80045909-12A2-48E2-82D5-EC243156E5EB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	158412
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Das Boot; 01-24-2022, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

Even comes in singles (limber hole).
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	images (14).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	158415Click image for larger version  Name:	images (20).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	78.0 KB ID:	158416Click image for larger version  Name:	images (18).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	158417Click image for larger version  Name:	images (19).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	158418
                                Last edited by redboat219; 01-24-2022, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Working...