Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

Now you're having fun! This is great. And I see like myself you found an ingenious use for the local iron. I wondered for years what those darn things were for and then it hit me. To iron flat my plans! I also use a board and mount the plans too. Beats a PC screen and they don't need batteries. Carry on great sir!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I love the fact you use carbon paper for finding binding areas. Simple, but really ingenious. The rods through the sail, are they used just to set the "floors" for the masts?
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
        I love the fact you use carbon paper for finding binding areas. Simple, but really ingenious. The rods through the sail, are they used just to set the "floors" for the masts?
        Yeah. My Mom worked for the nations leading Cardiologist and transcribed all his papers. That ream of carbon paper was hers, at least 50 years old and still has its ginger! I learned the marking-high-spots trick at Tappan Junior High-school wood-shop class. Notice that I also used ground black chalk to identify interference fit areas on the two mast platforms.

Yes, the two 1/16" brass rods establish the bottom mast platform position within the sail. Today I replace these with little 'tits' that will extend about 1/16" into the sail -- they will do the same job as the rods, but will permit creation and removal of the rubber core that will be part of the eventual rubber sail tool. Fore example, I show the tool used to create the resin sails for Bob's 1/96 BLUEBACK kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7756.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	148014
        Attached Files
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Thank you!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
              Commander
              • Nov 2013

The accuracy is truly amazing...but it always has been.
              A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Where was I?... Oh, yeah. Model building.

Getting the 1/96 BLUEBACK kit checked out and readied for another season of fun I found that the upper hull had warped open much wider than the lower hull -- the two no longer shared a tight, in line, separation. This is how I went about heat-warping the upper hull back into alignment:

As GRP structures have 'some' thermoplastic properties -- the ability to use heat (sometimes a risky operation) and stress to slightly reshape a structure -- I employed a fixture to hold the heated hull to the desired shape as it cooled and (hopefully) assumed the correct geometry once removed from the fixture.

The whole disaster was the result of pulling the still green GRP upper hull from its tool too soon after fabrication. That original sin committed about eight years ago. Lesson learned!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Where was I?... Oh, yeah. Model building.

Oh my, hope you remembered to put some pants on before walking out the front door. Click image for larger version

Name:	images (10).jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	151250
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

I'd buy a Blueback in a second, but there is no cylinder for it.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by redboat219

Oh my, hope you remembered to put some pants on before walking out the front door. Click image for larger version

Name:	images (10).jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	151250
                      That's a former sub builder. It's cheaper to stay drunk.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I think that picture pretty much sums up my last few months. **** it!... back to the real world.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Good to see you're keeping busy.
                          Remember we're always here for you...asking stupid questions.
                          Last edited by redboat219; 07-08-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            I think that picture pretty much sums up my last few months. **** it!... back to the real world.

David
                            I can't wait until September. If you aren't your old crusty self, I'm gonna smack hell outta you.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

That 1/96 Blueback, that's your 2.4ghz boat right? No ballast tank, just weighed down with only the top of the sail showing for the 2.4ghz antennae.

Since you're running already submerged. Do you still need operational dive planes at this point? Can we just go using those 2(3 )ch radio ( throttle and steering).

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                                That 1/96 Blueback, that's your 2.4ghz boat right? No ballast tank, just weighed down with only the top of the sail showing for the 2.4ghz antennae.

Since you're running already submerged. Do you still need operational dive planes at this point? Can we just go using those 2(3 )ch radio ( throttle and steering).
                                Back when I was working for Mr. Caswell -- who purchased most of the Dave Manley (Small World Models) submarine tooling -- I assembled two BLUEBACK kits. One for him. One for me. He only wanted the dynamically diving version, which was pictured in the recent post. Me, I wanted a fully capable static diver.

Bow or fairwater planes on a dynamic diver is a waste of time and effort -- just go with the stern planes and be happy if you can credibly go up-and-down.

His was operating at 2.4 gHz. Mine at, 75mHz.

Sorry about the confusion. I included that photo to show how the upper and lower halves of the model were held together by indexing lips.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...