X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    "What, you playing with models now?"
    Yes. For over twenty years I have designed, developed, manufactured and sold WTC's of one flavor or another. It's been a prideful, rewarding, and sometimes fun occupation. But the body grows weary over time and you have to take it down a notch or two if standards are to be maintained. That time has come for me.

Time to back away from 'work' and enjoy this hobby while I run the clock out and still have my wits about me. I'll post when I have something worth posting. And I'll see some of you slobs at the lakes and pools when we finally get ride of this ****ing Chinese flue, denying our local and State ass-hole politician 'leaders' this unwarranted lock-down of our civil rights.

Remember, boy's and girls, the Second Amendment is not just for Bambi hunting!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2009

Maybe if people stayed home and built stuff instead of going to the titty bars and vaping together we would be sailing without masks

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Actually I was making a double entendre on Ellie being a model for an island girl and the Alfa she's holding.

Also it is a qoute Jack Ryan made when he came to see Skip Tyler working ith the DSRV in Hunt for Red October. As we all know there was an Alfa in the end battle of the movie.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          Actually I was making a double entendre on Ellie being a model for an island girl and the Alfa she's holding.

Also it is a qoute Jack Ryan made when he came to see Skip Tyler working ith the DSRV in Hunt for Red October. As we all know there was an Alfa in the end battle of the movie.
          "You arrogant ass! You killed us!"

Mind the Enabling setting.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            I just got a mystery box with a completed HUNLEY within it. Slightly damages, but otherwise in fine condition. Came from Ron LiButti. I have no idea why I got this. Anyone know anything about this?

David
            Just came across some twenty-something year old SubRegatta footage of a HUNLEY model I got working for a client. Demonstrating that the thing -- if kept below a critical speed -- was manageable in pitch and yaw. Rather remarkable considering the absence of stern planes.

I'll get Kim's HUNLEY to run even better by providing a pitching element to the submarines propeller shaft, that controlled by both the transmitter and on-board angle-keeper.

The HUNLEY in-the-water-stuff stuff starts here: 43:45

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I've been helping a guy by restoring some model submarines he's acquired into operational condition. Case in point is this r/c model of the Civil War, Confederate HUNLEY. The model is of rather poor quality of build and is a mesh-mash of old wrong and newly discovered information regarding the look of the actual craft.

Making this subject actually work submerged presents the unique problem of making it controllable in pitch in the absence of stern planes -- which this submarine never had.

I liked how the original model-builder worked out access to the interior of the model. However, the watertight cylinder he provided to operate the r/c model submarine was pure amateur night! That will have to be replaced. As that WTC did not have a ballast tank -- the model presumably operated in the 'dynamic diving' mode -- I would have to come up with a WTC of my own, equipped with a proper ballast tank.

First thing was to gather the rather massive file I have on the HUNLEY, survey the model and determine what is fine as is and what has to be modified, replaced, or discarded. In order not to invest too much time with the project I would use the sharp knife; I'll get this thing working, but it will never be a museum piece.

The two big changes to the model would be installation of a propeller shaft pitching mechanism that would provide for positive control of the submarines pitch angle while running submerged. The second change would be abandonment of the incorrect bell-crank linkage that operated the rudder and substitute it with a torque-rod such as was employed by the real HUNLEY.

The rip out of rudder linkage and original running gear stern tube underway. The horror... The HORROR!

The propeller pitching mechanism started out as a simple doodle-sketch that was quickly brought to fruition at the lathe, milling machine, and with the aid of hand-tools. Machine brass is our friend! The original stuffing tube type stern tube was hammered out, the bore for the stern tube increased to accept a foundation tube, and within that would later be fitted a single axis gimbal that permits the propeller shaft to pitch up and down -- the resulting change in propeller thrust about the pitch axis would be the means of pitch control of the submerged submarine.

Here I'm boring out the gimbal housing of the pitch mechanism on the lathe.

Producing the oblong bore of the gimbal housing at the milling machine.

Two propellers came with the model HUNLEY. Neither was satisfactory or even close to the look of the real thing. So, I worked up a blade-chart for a practical wheel that would be more in keeping with the look of the real thing. Research is everything!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                Detail Nut of the First Order
                • Sep 2010

Nice, those alterations to get a fully functional Hunley, i've gotta ask, did you finally got into the 212 or did she ended up at the landfill?

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                  Nice, those alterations to get a fully functional Hunley, i've gotta ask, did you finally got into the 212 or did she ended up at the landfill?

Manfred.
                  Your magnificent little 212 is in the que, Manfred. I love what you did with the torpedo system -- I'll try to retain it as I get Kim's boat up and running. You did an excellent job of packaging it.

And your V80 hull and parts are on the bucket-list as well, my friend.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

If you need more technical info about the 212, just ask, use the modification i made with your torpedo tubes as you wish, i only enhanced your well build system, ahh the V80, she must be cured by now.
                    That boat has some nice surprices when she will be finished to run, i'll keep you in suspence, you will find it out yourself.
                    How is your health?, i catched up something as being retired, touched my boats the last time this summer, preparing my house for new foundation and cellar, for now the plate is full and the boats on hold.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

If you need more technical info about the 212, just ask, use the modification i made with your torpedo tubes as you wish, i only enhanced your well build system, ahh the V80, she must be cured by now.
                      That boat has some nice surprices when she will be finished to run, i'll keep you in suspence, you will find it out yourself.
                      How is your health?, i catched up something as being retired, touched my boats the last time this summer, preparing my house for new foundation and cellar, for now the plate is full and the boats on hold.

Manfred.
                      I'm going to go with the lighter-fluid fuel for the weapons -- I need to see how that works to power the torpedoes along. LOL, yeah, your V80 is way past the green-stage by now. Nice surprises? Gee, thanks. I bet it corners like a champ though.

I'm still awaiting an ablation procedure. Way past due -- they keep delaying it as it seems every primary care doctor we hook up with retires after only one appointment... can't be my charming personality, could it?

As it stands now the hospitals are only doing emergency care and won't open up for 'optional' surgery till after the current Chinese Flu scare. Thank you, Communist China!!!! Other than short of breath and napping most of the day I'm fine. Had to retire, I just can not keep up with the production work any more. You take care and keep fighting the good fight.

Good luck with the house -- damn! foundation and a basement! That's big time stuff, Manfred.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

The lighter fluid will work fine, they tend to have less speed and range but not jumping around like a unguided rocket.
                        You're pretty close with turning on a dime, but there is more, build her and you will find out, i allready said too much.
                        Ablation?, have no idea what that is, have to look it up in my english dictionairy, it must be serious enough to make you stop production work, about the healthcare, same story with us, only simple healthcare, those boys and girls at the hospital are overloaded with work keeping those people alive.
                        Try next time to smile to the doctor, instead of foam around your mouth and bring the swearing down, believe me it helps.
                        Like you said, thanks chinese suckers, that will learn them stop messing with nature.

The work on the house wil start within a few months, the contractor said, duration 2 or 3 months, when finished we can start rebuilding the inside and my new cave in the cellar, for now we are in good health and try to be safe, they gave us a few more weeks Lockdown as a present.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

The lighter fluid will work fine, they tend to have less speed and range but not jumping around like a unguided rocket.
                          You're pretty close with turning on a dime, but there is more, build her and you will find out, i allready said too much.
                          Ablation?, have no idea what that is, have to look it up in my english dictionairy, it must be serious enough to make you stop production work, about the healthcare, same story with us, only simple healthcare, those boys and girls at the hospital are overloaded with work keeping those people alive.
                          Try next time to smile to the doctor, instead of foam around your mouth and bring the swearing down, believe me it helps.
                          Like you said, thanks chinese suckers, that will learn them stop messing with nature.

The work on the house wil start within a few months, the contractor said, duration 2 or 3 months, when finished we can start rebuilding the inside and my new cave in the cellar, for now we are in good health and try to be safe, they gave us a few more weeks Lockdown as a present.

Manfred.
                          The ablation is a no-big-deal thing. They run a tube op your big leg vein into the heart and blast away at the top of the heart to get it to pump better. Had two already and it's only an over-night stay at the hospital. Only issue I have with it is they have to shave near your nut-sack as part of the pre-op.... awkward! If it's a guy nurse swinging the razor you kind of squirm in embarrassment. On the other hand, if its an attractive female type nurse you squirm and blush! But, when done, you get your breath back and you're once again in the groove.

Yeah. Ellie accompanies me to all visits to the doctors and she keeps a tight strain on my choke-collar.

Good luck with the house. And here's to some serious run-time in 2021.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Oh thanks for that. Now I have a mental image of a big male nurse shaving your nut sack! Another mental scar I can't wash away!

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

if its an attractive female type nurse you squirm and blush!

I bet Ellie looks at you like laser beams are gonna come out of her eyes.
                              Last edited by redboat219; 01-10-2021, 06:33 PM.
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

David! That Hunley project certainly needs your skilled hands to bring back to life! Great project!

David! Take care of yourself! I had open heart surgery not to long ago, and heart surgery or any heart related procedures are not fun. In place of doing an Ablation they installed a Defib. and Pacemaker to take care of the issues I had....

You listen to Ellie! She knows what's best for you! I do hope they can get you in sometime soon. Good vibes and prayers your way sir! We are all pulling for you!

Rob
                                "firemen can stand the heat"

PS: Be nice to those nurses!!

Comment

Working...