X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

The closest we ever got making the cold war hot Oct 27 1962 A "Foxtrot" B59 was intercepted on the way to Cuba and was egaged with depth charges and forced to surfaceClick image for larger version

Name:	P5M_VP-45_and_DD-835_with_Foxtrot_sub_at_Cuban_Missile_Crisis_1962.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	74774Click image for larger version

Name:	asw1 foxtrot 62.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	74775Click image for larger version

Name:	b-59-29-10-1962-01.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	74776

The Russian captain was going to attack one of the Destroyers, but changed his mind when he saw the reception topside
    Last edited by Kazzer; 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Keep up the good work there guys. I hope to be back up and running next week. Nice shot of the Foxtrot during the Cuban missile crisis Peter!
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Peter W
        Captain
        • May 2011

Hello Mark will be good to have you back. Credit where credit is due Von Hilde posted the Foxtrot.
        I seem to be struggling with a lean period for pics at moment.

Peter

ALAVSDMTP

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

That was quite a close call. The Russians had been spotted on the surface just east of the Bahamas, by the VP45 P5M. before they penetrated the restricted zone to Cuba. The sub dove but was tracked by sonabuoys, MAD JEZ and JULI from the seaplane. The pilot contacted the surface force and directed the destroyer which began pinging. The Russians blew the sonar countermeasure bubbles, which were mistook by the Tin Can for a torpedo launch. The Destroyer began dropping harrassment depth charges, Practice weapons that basiclly were flash bang and finally drove the sub to the surface, where they were surrounded by the ASW force of a couple ships planes and helos. The Russian Captain was interviewed years later and he was about to engage before he took discression instead. Heres the Russian "Chart" from the sub Click image for larger version

Name:	Map-1 B 59 cuba 62.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	74784
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

This is very good stuff, Von Hilde!
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

thanks for making the pics larger. I wish I knew how. There are a couple books written on the incident, from both sides. I havent read any yet but I have read the USN official reports and some of the log books from a couple of the destroyers, and the P5M pilots report. Its quite an involved story. It would make a great movie. I was a young Squid in the Navy at that time, and was in stationed in Key West. I wasnt involved in that particular incident, but did get my first Armed Forces Expiditionary Medal presented by JFK himself, later that November.Im just about dead center of the pic. We were the only sailors in whites, because our normal daily uniform of the day was swim shorts tennis shoes, and t shirts, fins, mask and, knife. Our Dress Blues were in Little Creek with the rest of the sea bags. We had come down in the summer and only brought the whites, just in case of inspections or liberty. KW is tropical so we didnt expect to be needing winter dress. Im the 3rd from last one in the row next to the F8 #820 Crusader, right under the number 2, behind the officers and chiefs. The short little chief in front of me is world famous Rudy Bosch from the "Survivor" TV seriesClick image for larger version

Name:	Armed forces expiditionary medal.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	74787
              Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Von Hilde, when you upload a photo, double click on it, and you should see some options for the size you want the photo to be. Let me know if it worked for you. You can edit your last post and see.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

No ****!?

You were UDT or SEAL?

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Growler, in front of a gathering stormClick image for larger version

Name:	Growler.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	74800
                    Last edited by greenman407; 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Welcome back, Mark ... while you were gone Von and me hijacked your thread. Sorry.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

We was Rootin Tootin, Parachuten, Underwater Breathin, See at Night, Flyin F???en Frogmen, in the worlds largest Nuclear Navy. I went West switched to the "operators" side in 65 got out in 69. Was in the teams, but the teams wasnt in me. I wanted to grow long hair, smoke pot, find some of that Free Love and play rock and roll and ride my motorsikles, so I rang out.
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

OH MY GOODNESS.............................I should go away more often. Im surprised Mike put up with all this!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

No Adult supervision, we just ran with it. Ive been trying to find out what boat in Subron 12 was the one on the marine railway and was launched in haste during the Cuban Crisis, with the props on reversed. COMSUBLANT ordered all boats to sea ASAP when the crap hit the fan and she was up on the hard, so they quickly put her back together. Of course it was hushed up at the time, but I remember it well. Seems they put the starbord prop on the port side and vice versa. They are counter rotating When they called all back 1/3 as they slipped off the dolleys there was no response, because they were moving aft from the launch. They called, "all back standard", then "ALL BACK FULL"she bolted forward and rammed the seawall. They pulled her out and patched up what they could, and she jouned the TF a few days later. I know the Navy must have taken hundreds of pics of the accident, as they always do, but I have yet to find any that survived the time. Anyway, here is JFK visiting the USS Chopper from Subron 12Click image for larger version

Name:	JFK Uss Chopper.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	74806
                            Last edited by Kazzer; 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Dont forget your UBoat pictures.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Good morning gentelmen. While I was looking up the boats from Subron 12, I came across the Baleo dressed up as the "Seatiger" in 1959 for the movie Operation Pink Pettycoat. She still had traces of pink that they didnt paint over in the early 60s with autographs of all the Stars on the bulkhead. There actually was a red lead paint submarine that went on patrol in WWII and sank several Japanese ships. The USS Seadragon was stationed in Cavite PI, and was damaged by fire in an attack. The black paint was burned off and pealed to the redlead while on patrol. Tokyo Rose even mentioned "those red pirates" on a broadcast. Hollywood sure knows how to SNAFU a real good story, by putting hot looking chicks in serious combat situations. Altho, I really did like "Down Perriscope" that was plausable, but not serious. In 1959 on the KW outer moll pierwith the co star Archerfish as the stand in double, for before and after paintjobClick image for larger version

Name:	Archerfish311Balao285.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	74815Click image for larger version

Name:	BalaoBushnell.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	74816and 1962 with the Bushnell with the Cuban crisis colors in front of the Admin building pier. Drawing of the attack on the Sea dragon and Sea tiger, Manila Bay PI. Dec 10 1941.Click image for larger version

Name:	seadragonandsealion.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	74817They were tied up in the yard and the tiger was sunk by a direct hit and the dragon was burned from colateral damage with one crewman KIA. She went on several patrols directly for the rest of the winter and early spring, before they got repainted.
                                Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-11-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...