• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

USS George Washington (SSBN 598) Conversion

Hi David,
    Just got this idea, why not make a George Washington conversion set for the Revell Skipjack. ( just a matter of adding the 139 foot missile section, turtle deck, and sail...)

Red
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
      No I was asking if the lexan tubing could be purchased in short (say one foot) lengths for those that want to grow their own little dive modules. You can't get this stuff here in the UK for love or money.
      I get the feeling that Mike and David don't want to sell parts like that and I can understand why, with parts having to be hand fitted due to slight variations. They can't garantee that everything is going to fit properly, when selling individual parts, that have not been fit tested as a kit.

Polycarbonate (lexan) tubing can be ordered online. This website says it only sells in 8 foot lengths, but I've been told that it can be ordered from them in shorter lenghts:
      Last edited by toppack; 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Hmmm, well I only wanted a little bit. I find the companies that sell this sort of thing aren't too interested in international customers, don't know why. The shipping would be steep too judging by the companies they use.

A friend over here in the UK wanted some Lexan tubing for a module he was building for his Scale ShipsAkula a while back. The shipping more than doubled the cost, so he went with acrylic, which is readily available over here.

Not sure why Polycarbonate/Lexan tubing seems impossible to source here in the UK. Sheet is no problem, although expensive when compared with U.S prices.

I think I'll use some PVC, I've got loads of that and it'll get the job done.

Comment

• Nuke Power
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

no pictures or movies come on david your killing me!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

More pretty pictures:
            Attached Files
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

The Skipjack in the water

More movies to follow
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Looking good, Mike. How's the range? And what's the water type (Chlorine, salt, etc.)?

I only had room within the SD to fit 1/4 of the recommended antenna length. Range checks here showed about 100 range in air with the abbreviated antenna. What was your maximum operating range in the pool?

How long did you operate before the LiPo Guard kicked in and shut the motor off?

How about a detailed report on problems encountered, etc.?

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

OK!

Problems encountered report.

1. Merriman doesn't answer his damned phone.That Stinks
                  2. Prop flexible tube keeps coming off the Sub-driver shaft. I tried roughing it up a little with some wet 'n dry paper, but that just made it more difficult to get into the bearing.
                  3. The rudders seem to keep working loose from their shafts. I'm tempted to lay them on an anvil and give them a light tap to flatten them before pushing them back on with CA. Or did you use RTV?

More video to come. I didn't check the range because the prop was working intermittently.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Mike, you ought to try and compress your video with a MPEG 4 codec. It's easy to do, and the films will look much better, and won't take up so much bandwidth.

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                      Mike, you ought to try and compress your video with a MPEG 4 codec. It's easy to do, and the films will look much better, and won't take up so much bandwidth.
                      I have a Mac and use ImovieHD. Tell me how please.

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                        Stop drinking in girly drinks and buy a PC :)
                        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

Tho with the new machine sbeing able to run both Mac and windows systems, so you can bring your work home with you, I begrudgingly admit I will probably get a mac soon I'll drink to THAT!
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I don't have a Mac. However taken from the online manual-

QuickTime Expert Export Settings

If one of the preset export options doesn’t work for you, you can experiment with your own QuickTime compression settings to get video output that’s best suited for your needs.

To apply your own compression settings:

1 Choose File > Share.

2 Click QuickTime in the toolbar.

3 Choose Expert Settings from the “Compress movie for” pop-up menu.

4 Click Share.

5 Choose the type of export format you want and click Options.

Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind as you experiment with your own compression settings:

MPEG-4 is the current standard codec (or compression/decompression format) used for movies that will be viewed on the web.

For movies that will be viewed on older Windows computer systems, you may want to use the Motion JPEG codec.

For a high-quality movie, you can export your movie in the Sorenson Video codec.

This format reduces the file size of the movie while retaining relatively high quality.

In general, choose settings that give you the best tradeoff between file size and video playback quality.

Pick your desired movie frame size first. Frame size is the primary determiner of the movie file size.

Set the number of key frames next. A low number (such as every 10 frames) creates a better quality movie with a larger file size.

Set the frame rate last. You may get choppy video playback if you set the frame rate to less than 12 frames per second.

Comment

• ljcaswell
                              Administrator
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                              In Quicktime - Click File->Export, then choose Movie to MPEG4.

BTW - when I did this, the file size doubled to 10.4MB, so I'm not sure how this would save bandwidth.

And, no...he's not getting a PC anytime soon. I used to get 10 calls a week to help him fix his last one. Since he got a Mac, I don't get any.

Comment

• Kazzer
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ljcaswell

And, no...he's not getting a PC anytime soon. I used to get 10 calls a week to help him fix his last one. Since he got a Mac, I don't get any.

It's nice to feel wanted by your children, isn't it!

Comment

Working...