Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Since someone decided to delete my most important post in this thread, I deleted them all.
    Since one user on forum is making my blood-pressure go too high, and I'm not allowed to respond, I refuse any further contact with him.

I hope redboat219 gets an answer to his question, I did thru a PM.
    Last edited by toppack; 03-24-2009, 11:19 AM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by toppack
      Since someone decided to delete my most important post in this thread, I deleted them all.
      Since one user on forum is making my blood-pressure go too high, and I'm not allowed to respond, I refuse any further contact with him.
      :confused::confused::confused:
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

You didn't miss anything important redboat219.
        Just a conflect of personalities, that did not involve you, we just invaded your question.
        Last edited by toppack; 03-25-2009, 05:44 PM.
        Rick L.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Well I hope everything has cooled down. The last couple of days were Devilish.

David,
          I was wondering, do you really need to install a pitch controller in such a small sub where the distance between the CG/CB and control planes is short?

red
          Last edited by redboat219; 03-25-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
            Well I hope everything has cooled down. The last couple of days were Devilish.

David,
            I was wondering, do you really need to install a pitch controller in such a small sub where the distance between the CG/CB and control planes is short?

red
            Yup.

Shorter moment arms on a small thing does not negate the physics working on the small thing.

Even flying bugs employ an 'artificial' means of determining their position and rates of position change about the principle axis. They're tiny too.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

I would think, the smaller it is, the more difficult it is to See pitch changes, that need to be corrected. So it helps to be automated, which is what the controller does.
              Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                Even flying bugs employ an 'artificial' means of determining their position and rates of position change about the principle axis.
                Now, if we could get some of those 'Smart Bugs' to man our sub models we would not need all this expensive electronics stuff??? :)
                Rick L.

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by toppack
                  Now, if we could get some of those 'Smart Bugs' to man our sub models we would not need all this expensive electronics stuff??? :)
                  Imagine this guy conning your sub.

The navy must already be using this on the USS Hartford:D:D:D

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                    Imagine this guy conning your sub.

The navy must already be using this on the USS Hartford:D:D:D

Yeah. Ha, ha...

... Aboard US Navy ships the Caption is God. He is endowed with the power of life and death over his crew. His word is supreme. His responsibility is non-transferable -- he can delegate, but he can not share the accountability of his position.

A man who ascends to the position of 'captain' aboard a US Navy submarine has spent decades getting there -- starting at the bottom as a department head, or assistant department head, working up through (all but Medical and Supply) the department positions, having to serve each one with distinction before moving on to the next. This man has to give up countless hours with loved ones; his dedication to his carrier must be non-negotiable and absolute. His life is constantly monitored by his peers, he has very few moments to himself -- he, to be found eventually qualified to command, must never let the smallest of things appear which might put his career goal in jeopardy.

Such a man is, by the time he is selected for the position of captain, is very well trained, grounded in leadership, knows his boat, knows what his nation expects of him. And he knows the terrible consequences of a wrong move in an ever changing environment -- on and off the battle-field.

This Man, the Captain of the HARTFORD, experienced a carrier ending mistake, in a shipping channel! No matter the cause or who mishandled the boat for that one, brief, terrible moment, he, the Captain, is the one who will suffer the most if negligence is determined to be a component of the accident.

That man, who will be relieved of his hard-earned command, and will be 'put aside' till he 'retires', sacrificed much to reach the God like state of Captain. His life's work, that most of us will never be aware of, is now all clouded by that one brief, terrible moment. A moment that will forever change (for the worse) his life. And he knew that the day he was commissioned.

How many of you snarky, cubical dwelling, underachievers have the drive, the smarts, the discipline to do what that man has done?

Let the rest of us never have to live under the Sword of Damocles that a US Navy captain lives under. While he sails his vessel in harms way, for all our benefits. In our names!

With great privilege comes great responsibility and consequences. How many of you are up to such high-octane living?

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

David,
                      Have you conducted in water testing of that little Skipjack? I'm very much excited to see her zipping along underwater.

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, here's a quick look-see of a painted and marked little SKIPJACK model. not a bad looking display. I made use of my GRP scribing stencils to mark out the bottom with a technical pen. Later I'll open up the flood-drain holes when I make this a practical r/c model. And these things scream out for a proper weathering job, bird-**** and all!

The prototype little SKIPJACK was scary fast and could turn within a five-foot circle!

In one shot I've shown all the pieces that make up a complete Revell SKIPJACK fittings kit -- all the goodies needed convert the so-so looking Revell kit into a reasonably accurate representation of a boat of the class.

David,
                        Attached Files
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nuke Power
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2008

You been testing it in the pool in your front yard? If not when you open it up how fast is the bugger. Sushi fast? 1/96 skipjack fast? How was the handling up and down? Sounds like she turns a little better then the kilo. How long would you say it would take a person to put one together start to finish.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
                            You been testing it in the pool in your front yard? If not when you open it up how fast is the bugger. Sushi fast? 1/96 skipjack fast? How was the handling up and down? Sounds like she turns a little better then the kilo. How long would you say it would take a person to put one together start to finish.

Yeah, about 1/96 SKIPJACK fast, but it will go faster in 'open' water. turns tight. depth control is right on, hands-off in fact. Turns much better than the 1/144 KILO.

If the kit, the fittings, the SD and all the devices are on hand, about three days from start to finish. No ballast sub-system to **** with.

David,
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Videos please.

Comment

• Albion
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2008

Very Neat, looks like it should fit the special navy type II 1/72
                                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...