Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

I may be wrong but your post 270 has No pictures showing. All previous ones are visible.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

The ordered servo's will arrive next week, just in time to replace the dummy servo's i used to get the arragement right, pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	136229

I had to make a bracket to house the servo's for the launchtubes, took some stock aluminum plate and bended the right shape, those white strips of evergreen will be used to fasten the servo's.

Name:	IMG_1854.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	136230

Took some broken servo's as a dummy to see at which position they had to be placed.

Name:	IMG_1858.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	136231

Bended the rods for controlling the launchtubes, it's a tight fitt around the control switches but enough room is left for moving them.

Name:	IMG_1859.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	136232

All wires in the rearpart of the SD are in, all connectors soldered and documented which is which.

Name:	IMG_1860.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	136233

Battery pack and levelkeeper are placed inside, made a small charging plug so i don't have to take the battery pack out during charging.

Name:	IMG_1861.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	136234

From left to right, levelkeeper, battery pack and the charging plug.

For now i have to wait when i have the servo's, when arrived i can start building up the rear bulkhead and the front bulkhead and start testing my contraption.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

All the delivered servo's are placed, rear bulkhead is finished as is the front bulkhead.

Name:	IMG_1866.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	136365

Name:	IMG_1867.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	136366

All cables are tied together with small T raps, i like to keep things tidy, that ESC i ordered some time ago as a test, it can handle up to 10A, BEC 1A, the horns of the servo's are not yet fastened, this will be done when i know the exact position with all channels in neutral.

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	136367

I did mentioned about linking up the SAS float at the front , don't want to peel the tube off each time, so i've designed a watertight airplug which i have to make on the lathe.

Name:	IMG_1863.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	136369

This is not needed for the rearpart, i only have to adjust the length of the tubes.

Before i can start testing the SD i have to take out the SL8 receiver from the 212, don't know why, but my contraption with the old receiver and shadow programmer is dead, in a way it's better, the receiver was allready a bit of a risk.

Manfred.

Attached Files
        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Interesting times are starting here in the Netherlands, today they announced a partial shutdown of the country, She Who Will Be Obeyed was ordered last week to work from home by laptop, we are still well, and hope to stay that way by limiting our social contacts.
          It's a big mess in the Southern part of our country, they expect a second wave to hit this week, which can turn out nasty, i'll keep you guys informed.

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Hang tight, Manfred. We'll get through this, pal. And Ellie say's hi, to your Boss Lady.

Stand by for heavy rolls, my friend.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I'm wondering at which point the Triffids will turn up?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                I'm wondering at which point the Triffids will turn up?
                Only a true SF fan would quip that, Andy! Buckets of sea-water on stand-by!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I had to look that up.......Triffids

Here is a photo of one of our Walmarts.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Lodg24KZQOODpi2PUAzPGg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	137175

BUT, the real survival food was not being touched

Click image for larger version  Name:	vdoug24ETWyfPwgM3WsWsQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	137176

That's correct, there were still Snickers!

Stay safe Manfred.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL, Tom. Right on point!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

They need to make toilet roll snickers. Seems to be what everyone is after at the moment- seems to be priority number one to have something to wipe their arse!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                        They need to make toilet roll snickers. Seems to be what everyone is after at the moment- seems to be priority number one to have something to wipe their arse!
                        Yeah. I don't get the rush-on-****-paper thing. This is not digestive, its pulmonary. Idiots!
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Thanks for all your comments guys, it made me and SWMBO laugh, which is a good thing, the bad thing is, people are dying here like flies, each time there are more sick people added to the list, they gave us more restrictions, i must say not that heavy as with Bart, the future will learn if our measures will be effective.

So, that was the serious part, the bright side is, i've corrected some things at the SD.

Name:	IMG_1884.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	137392

The SD is now finished and tested, had to replace the receiver and the levelkeeper, added the magnetconnectors and finished up the connections to the rearpart of the sub.

Name:	IMG_1885.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	137393

Locked down the diveplanes and the rudders for the next step, cutting the rods the right length.

Name:	IMG_1886.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	137394

I did kept some extra length so i could tweek with them.

Name:	IMG_1888.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	137395

Taking my measurement for cutting down the rods.

Name:	IMG_1897.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	137396

After cutting the rods up it revealed that it did not work as intended, so back to the drawingboard, my second attempt made me use bowdencables, this works like a charm.

Next step will be. starting up the lathe for my schnorkelconnector, and modify my construction for holding down the resquebouy.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Making the connector wasn't that much work, but it's working like intended,

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	137570

This is the tube which is connected to the schnorkel float.

Name:	IMG_1892.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	137571

Here you can see the airline running to the float, still have to fasten it with some brackets to the hull, that can be done later when i know the exact position of the airline.

Name:	IMG_1894.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	137572

This is the machined part, used some solid copper rod, drilled it out and made me some grooves inside, those grooves hold the O rings.

Name:	IMG_1895.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	137573

This was the endgoal, by pushing in the connector i've got me a solid connection, no tools needed for removing it.

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Reinforced the hook from the resquebuoy and altered the buoy itself with adding some aluminum tubes for easier grip, started on the torpedotubes to get them connected to the SD, pictures

Name:	IMG_1896.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	138144

Had to take some things apart to make this happen, the hook works now like intended.

Name:	IMG_1893.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	138145

First step into hooking up the tubes to the SD, added a plastick tube to the magnetic connector to get more stability when hooked up.

Name:	IMG_1898.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	138146

Name:	IMG_1899.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	138147

This how it works, adding the tube gives more stability and the connection will not easely disconnect.

Name:	IMG_1907.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	138148

Hooked up to one of the tubes, it takes not that much force to make it move.

Name:	IMG_1909.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	138149

The other side works different without the lever and is a straight forward push movement.

Name:	IMG_1908.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	138150

For getting the boat under power you need to take off the front part, a easy task with the use of the magnetic connection, for now she is ready and on hold, have to build the testtank in the garden, first want to take the plunge unpainted to see if everything works as intended.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

Finally some progress and one step closer to the madenvoyage,

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	142490

Builded up the testtank this weekend, filling her up.

Name:	IMG_2101.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	142491

The first victim to get the plunge, need to get the frontpart off to reach the power switch.

Name:	IMG_2105.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	142492

Without foam,lead and holes at the bottom, took some time to fill her up, wanted to see where i stand, waterline too high, rearpart nicely compensated by all the foam inside.

Name:	IMG_2106.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	142493

Testing the thrust of the dual propellor, works like a charm, loads of thrust, David has made this very good scale set of props for this boat, still hate you, rudder will be a issue, much too small to get a responsive turning-rate, have to see what happens in the open water.

Name:	IMG_2107.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	142494

Scope and antenna floats are in working order, low tech, but most effective.

Name:	IMG_2109.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	142495

Ballasttank full, plenty of overkill, have to play with foam and lead later on.

Name:	IMG_2110.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	142496

Resquebouye mechanism works, still have to add the safety wire, but for now i know that it works.

Name:	IMG_2111.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	142497

Result after a succesfull Saturday, only minor thing was, the rubber seal of the switch wasn't secured that good, got a few drops inside the SD, did a second pressure test after fixing this, no leaks anymore.
                                As you can see the Ko Hyoteki can fitt inside a small suitcase once taken apart, the magnets take care for easy build up and maintenance.

Name:	IMG_2114.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	142498

Progress on Sunday, drilled the holes with a step drill, these should be enough to get a good result in filling/raising up the boat.

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	142499

Added some lead and foam to get a idea how she stands, the waterline has to become slightly higher.

Name:	IMG_2113.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	142500

All in all not a bad result, i know now i have to work with a bit of lead to counteract the conningtower, and a lot of foam, she sank to the bottom like a brick, luckely i have enough space inside the hull, and by using multiple radial cuts i can reach easely inside.
                                Have to tinker several evenings to get her tuned in, next step will be testing the torps and finally the maidenvoyage, stay tuned.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

Working...