X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Thanks Guys,

The no tool needed part has his roots from the XXIII, tools like water in some mysterious ways, they allways dissapear.
    This time i wanted to use the SD as standard as possible, yes there will be some mods, but not that much as with the type XXIII, i will keep everything KISS as possible (except shooting torps).

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

Now the magnetic thing is done, i could start with some other things, first i attacked the conical shapy thing, it was obvius i needed more room to play with the connection for my rudders and divingplanes,

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2040002.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	125054

First i made a base-plate at the end, secured it with conical screws.

Name:	P2040003.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	125055

Removed the base-plate and took the dremel to hollow it out, by doing this i can easely access the back-part for installing the rudder/diveplane thingys.

Name:	P2040001.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	125056

Inserted the gearbox inside with the aid of some brackets, it can be removed by loosening the screws, used no bearing at the end because the gearboxshafts are supported by the gearbox itself.

Name:	P2040005.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	125057

This is the beginning of getting a connectionshaft between my gearbox and the SubDriver, those things present will be the supports for the shaft, connecting both sides of the shaft will be done in the same way as with the type XXIII.
      Have to make some receivers on the lathe for that, the receivers will be placed on the shaft, prefenting it to fall out of the rearpiece hull.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

It has been busy inside the Cave, placed the connectionshaft from the SD to the gearbox, glued down the stabilising fins and did some work on the tower.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110017.JPG Views:	1 Size:	16.3 KB ID:	125196

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110018.JPG Views:	1 Size:	16.3 KB ID:	125197

First some showpictures, she is rigged up in full dressing.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110020.JPG Views:	1 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	125198

While gueing down the fins i could do some work on the tower, managed to get the hatch placed and drilled some ventholes.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110022.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	125199

By using some tubes i could connect the shaft from the gearbox to the SD, poured in some glue on the brackets and let her dry for 24 hrs.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110023.JPG Views:	1 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	125200

Here you can see those brackets complete with their bairings for guiding the shaft, still have to make the special connectors on the lathe.

Name:	image_36768.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	125201

Once the fins where glued i could add the propguard, unfortunally i have to redo the propguard it is fitting too tight and deforming the shape, you can take the part off as one unit.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P2110025.JPG Views:	1 Size:	16.4 KB ID:	125202

The bow netcutter is placed with a M3 screw, by turning the reinforcment-rod you can take it loose.

For now i have to solve the problem with my cables on top of the boat, in this configuration it's not possible to take off the tower when needed, and the connection to the bowpart is not easy to take off without loosing parts.

Manfred.
        Last edited by MFR1964; 02-17-2018, 04:51 PM.
        I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Hey, Manfred

I've been using those little (but powerful) magnets to hold the jumpers to the sail. Easy make/break arrangement.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Ah, so those magnets are strong enough to hold the wires, i've got me some work to do tomorrow, thanks for the tip David.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Name:	P2130029.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	125209

This tensionwrench was my issue, due to the present tensionwheel above on the tower you can't remove the tower easely, David mentioned the use of magnets, so i altered the construction.

Name:	P2130030.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	125210

Step one was placing a little magnet at the base of the tower, next step was placing a tin plate at the bottom of the tensionwrench, now you can remove all stuff at will.

Name:	P2130031.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	125211

This was my first solution for the bowpart, a simple hook to take away the cable, but i was not satified, it had to be more scale yet simple.

Name:	P2130032.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	125212

After some work i ended up with this, it looks like the cable connector at the tower, but it has a twist.

Name:	P2130033.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	125213

You can swing open the lockingbar to release the cable, it uses the tension of my cable to stay locked, simple and no tools needed.

For now i have to rebuild the propguard, i'll strip down the old one from it's bars, they wil be re-used at the new one, allready did some homework for making the rudders and divingplanes, they are now laminated and drying, can wait to get the full picture.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Despite i'm posting nothing, there is still activity inside the Cave,

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	126901

Last spring i met this wonderfull guy in the real, had to travel to the Island of Korfu in Greece, i knew Giannis was living there, so i contacted him by mail to try to meet up, as the picture shows we did at his cave, that man is a wizard, seen lots of stuff and we had a good chatt about everything.

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	126902

Dugged up the molds from the V80 and started prepping them for building hull number three, as you guys know David had lost the hullparts during the flood a few years ago, and since i had the mold i promised David to make a replacement.

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	126903

After prepping het mold i added the gelcoat for starting with the first layers.

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	126904

The rest is pretty straight forward, adding layer after layer, David had the request to make it a bit thicker, i went for 1 mm wall-thickness.

Name:	IMG_1490.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	126905

This is alllways the exciting part, pulling the hulls from the mold, you often wonder if the prepwork went well, i must say, the result was better as the first pull for David.

Name:	IMG_1493.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	126906

After cleaning up the flash it is time for sanding inside the mold, this way you know all edges will be equal, so both hull parts fitt together without much of a seam.

Name:	IMG_1494.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	126907

After sanding i cleaned up both hull-parts and the mold, the mold is still in good shape, i guess she will survive a few more pulls.

Name:	IMG_1495.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	126908

Still have to do some minor things, but a dry-fitt was possible, it's still funny to see two of the same hulls together.

Did this in small steps the last few months, for now the Cave is closed due to the high tempartures, it's like living inside a oven, she has to be boxed up for sending it to David.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Much appreciated, pal.

First thing I'll do is bond the two halves together, then cut the top of the hull away from the lower at the waterline. Then work out the indexing of the two halves, and set them aside while other work is attended to. Thank you, Manfred!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Glad i could help you out with some new hull parts, can you give me your postadress by PM, otherwise it will take much too long to get the stuff inside your cave

Manfred
                    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Name:	P2140035.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	127951

Picked up the pace at the cave, David has been stuffed with the V80, so i have my hands free, i had to make a new protector ring, cutted some copper strips and started fiddling.

Name:	P2140037.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	127952

Clamped down al rods before i could start soldering.

Name:	P2170038.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	127953

Name:	P2170039.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	127954

This was the easy part, it revealed to me i had a issue with the hull, you can see the gap between the prop and the hull, have to make a ring to get me a nice transition, this item will be noted down on the list.

Name:	P2170040.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	624.5 KB
ID:	127955

The final coupler on the shaft to my gearbox, pretty much the same style as used on the type XXIII, did this on both ends of this hull piece, so i can still take it off.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Getting closer each day, Manfred. This is going to be another stunner when you're done with it, my friend.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Take one nibble at the time and she will see water in the future, in the past i allready made some preparations for making the rudders and divingplanes,

Name:	P2190447.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	670.4 KB
ID:	127987

First i prepped some laminated stuff with the aid of a roll of flat lead.

Name:	P2230002.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	127988

Took the dremel and cutted the plates rough into their shape, i inserted a copper tube during the lamination process, those black specs are mini grubscrews M2, those will secure the stuff onto the copper rods.

Name:	P2170041.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	127989

Next step was, making the final dimensions for both the rudder and divingplanes, took measurements for the allready build rearpart to get it right.

Name:	P2170042.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	127985

Name:	P2170043.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	127986

All parts testfitted at their place, next step will be, giving the parts some profile and start thinking at how to couple the steeringrods, i have some idea's but first the profiling.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get'n there, Manfred. This is going to be a beaut!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Shaped the divingplanes and rudders, also attended one other item, it seems the hull is a bit off at the end, it should match the diameter of the prop, but it doesn't, solution was, making a piece to make up the space.
                              Laminated some circuitboard and did some work on the lathe, resulting in this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1552.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	128265

A composition of all parts, yet again i raped David's designed prop for my own purpose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1553.JPG Views:	1 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	128266

First step is placing the transition ring, it is kept at it's place with one conical 2 mm screw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1554.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	128267

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1555.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	128268

By moving the prop backwards i created a problem with the endcap, it could not be secured anymore with the present grubscrew, carefully i drilled some holes through the rear prop and tapped M2 threads into the endcap, this had to be done right in one attemp, i only have one prop!!
                              By using conical screws they are flush and won't be a problem with turning of the prop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1556.JPG Views:	1 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	128269

Two parts together, not a trace to see how the endcap is secured to the rearprop, Phew!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1557.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	128270

The rest is pretty straight forward, first prop is secured by a grubscrew, second prop the same way, this contraption gives a nice transition from the hull to the prop, once painted it will be not that visible.

Now i'm playing around with another issue, since the rearpart becomes heavy it gives too much strain on the magnets, giving me a minute gap between the hull parts, it's not a big issue, but i want to have this solved before i start annoying myself on this.

Manfred.
                              Last edited by MFR1964; 10-30-2018, 02:44 PM.
                              I went underground

Comment

• bassplayer1
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Mar 2010

Manfred, I've got no words!!! You are amazing my friend. By the way, thanks for the photo !!!
                                Last edited by bassplayer1; 11-04-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...