Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Thanks Yannis, it was a pleasure meeting you and get a peek inside your cave, i hope everything is well now?

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

Scope Up!!!, i'm back

Talking about scope up, made a sidetrack to do a other fellowbuilder a pleasure, he goofed around with building a Bronco Type XXIII, met him a couple of times to see if i could be of help, he made it lately to run his XXIII in the wild, and more important, after diving she resurfaced again, hats off to him.
      He did have one request, wanted to have a scale scope instead of that blob of plastick on a stick, told him i could make this happen, took a scrappiece of aluminum and started turning,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1626.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	132726

Stage one, some stainless steel tube, and a scarppiece of aluminum, i did had to recreate the dimensions of my german scope, now archived for the future.

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	664.5 KB
ID:	132727

Coloured the aluminum with a sharpie and marked out the first dimensions.

Name:	IMG_1628.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	132728

Lower part has the right dimension for inside the stainless tube, working on the smallest part which contains the peroscopehead.

Name:	IMG_1629.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	132729

Turning the conical part of the scope, note that the smaller part not yet is to dimension, this gives you room to tweak with the angle of the conical part.

Name:	IMG_1630.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	616.8 KB
ID:	132730

When the conical part is done you can turn down the smaller part under the head to dimension.

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	132731

Finished product, ready for fitting it together.

Name:	IMG_1632.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	132732

As intended the scope slides into the tube with just enough clearance to add some glue.

Name:	IMG_1633.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	132733

To give a impression how big this part is, on my type VII those strange wires are also added, for some reason this was not added at the XXIII's scope.

Name:	IMG_1634.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	132734

Final check if i followed the right dimensions, after this i also added the scopesight and made a lens of epoxy for it, now this scope is his problem.

You will wonder what about the Ko Hyoteki?, well, between some other issue's i managed to do some stuff, first i solved the minute gap at the tailpiece,

Name:	PA070053.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	132735

This was my problem, due to the weight of the rearpart it sometimes wanted to separeate.

Name:	PA070055.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	132736

Drilled some 1 mm holes straight through the tubes, added some 1 mm copper false rivets.

Name:	PA070056.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	132737

Once pushed into their holes they secure the rearpart, when needed you can take them out.

to be continued.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• bwi 971
        Captain
        • Jan 2015

Order of operations 101, how you going to attack a part…….so important…..nice work Manfred.

Grtz,
        Bart
        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Thanks Bart,

Yup, especially when the stock of 6 mm aluminum rods is almost gone, since the lathe was spinning i also made the scope of the Ko Hyoteki, compared to the german scope it's simplicity all over,

Name:	IMG_1641.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	132762

Pretty much the same approach, first measurements and have a go with the lathe.

Name:	IMG_1640.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	132763

For now she's standing like this on the bench, scope ready and the antenna present, next hurdle is, making the resquebouy mechanism, i decided to work from the back to the front of the boat.
          Still have to think about lifting the stuff, probably a KISS float system for both the scope as the antenna.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Manfred,
            I gotta say, it is good to see you posting again.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom,

The plate was full with other stuff, have some foundation problems with my house, but that will be taken care of during this year, before i can start with the house build it will take some time, so now it's back to building the Ko Hyoteki to relax.
              The upside of the house story is, if all goes well the Cave will be extended by four time the room i have now (think big cellar), wonder if David will still name it as a Pig-pen, we will see in the future.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                Thanks Tom,

The plate was full with other stuff, have some foundation problems with my house, but that will be taken care of during this year, before i can start with the house build it will take some time, so now it's back to building the Ko Hyoteki to relax.
                The upside of the house story is, if all goes well the Cave will be extended by four time the room i have now (think big cellar), wonder if David will still name it as a Pig-pen, we will see in the future.

Manfred.
                Productivity is disproportionate to shop cleanliness! Structured chaos is good.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Blah,blah,blah,blah

Manfred.
                  Last edited by MFR1964; 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot one extra blah to annoy you
                  I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Wanted to build my resquebouye system, but first had to do something else, David stated correctly that the conical shape of the stern would give problems with bouyency, you're not able to get enough foam inside, so i deciced to leave the last part of the stern alone and turned my attention to the second part of the stern.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA070057.JPG Views:	1 Size:	473.0 KB ID:	132802

Stuffed in as much foam as i could, used the old ribs to follow the contours of the hull and glued them down with RTV

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1642.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	132803

The other side of the business end, placed a small spindle inside and added a slidingbar near the hole of the hatch, this is done to give the wire a smooth ride without gettiing stuck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1643.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	132804

A better view on the slidingbar and you can see the hook which will hold the bouye on it's place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1644.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	132805

At the same time i could add the steeringrods with their guides, marked down the exact positions with the SD inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1645.JPG Views:	1 Size:	485.8 KB ID:	132806

Added the magnets at the last sternpart, this was also done at the second sternpart, when you "magnitize" them together i can control the propellors, rudders, divingplanes and resquebouye.

Next little project will be, building the floats for both the antenna and the scope, i've seen some nice examples on the forum and will follow that road.

Manfred.
                    Last edited by MFR1964; 06-21-2019, 02:38 PM.
                    I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Slowly, but surely coming together. That cone is a SOB to work in, isn't it?! Man, this is going to be one slick looking boat once you've get it into the water.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Yeah, it became a bit of a journey, but at the end i get my reward, that cone gave me some grey hairs, took me some effort to get it right, i ended up with the trusty design you allways use when you have a single shaft propulsion.
                        I know there is a guy on Youtube which has a working Ko Hyoteki, has some nice underwater video shots,so i know what the result will be, not sure if he has a working two shooter.
                        Follow the link, https://youtu.be/Hp5wOW73PrU

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Goofed around this summer with the V80 and the type VII, now it's time to rapport some progress i made last weeks with the Ko Hyoteki.

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	134731

The loose parts to get me a SAS floater.

Name:	IMG_1665.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	134732

Once put together you get this,

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	134733

Place on the hull at the right position,

Name:	IMG_1662.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	134734

To make things easy, it's held on it's place by using neodine magnets, easy job for maintenance.

Name:	IMG_1650.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	134735

Another item on the list that had to be made, added some floats to both the scope and antenna.

Name:	IMG_1652.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	134736

Had to made some guidingtubes in the upperpart with the hatch.

Name:	IMG_1651.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	134737

Once placed back, you get this, i like to have my parts removable, you never know when you need to do this.

Name:	IMG_1654.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	134738

Placed both the antenna and the scope inside, those stainless steel rods are needed to restrict the movement of both devices.

Name:	IMG_1655.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	134739

I measured up the maximum i could lower the parts untill i reach the SD inside.

Name:	IMG_1657.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	134740

Extended to their maximum Heights.

Name:	IMG_1658.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	134741

It barely fitts around the SAS float. here you can see the reserved space between both floats.

Name:	IMG_1792.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	134742

For now a teaser, working on this contraption to make my two shooter work, iŽll rapport back when there is progress.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Made a vid to show how far i got with the rest, also a small demonstration how the scope and antenna will work, if i remember right Tom had made such a contraption with the scope of his Skipjack.

Enjoy, https://youtu.be/8MHIb8MO2ZI

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

It took some weeks to complete the launcher and the mechanics, pictures.

Name:	IMG_1803.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	135078

First i had to adapt the torpedo's, so i could use the lockingmechanisms, ended up with some tubes underneath the torpedo's.

Name:	IMG_1794.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	135079

Made the hooks which will lock into those tubes.

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	135080

The hooks will fitt inside the tubes like this.

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	135081

Took a spare rear-end and made a green led inside, this is done for adjusting the magnets so you will not burn up your motors.

Name:	IMG_1800.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	135082

Peeking through the slits i can see when the torpedo is activated by the magnet.

Name:	IMG_1804.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	135083

Had to change the magnets because the old configuration was too weak to get me a trusty launch.

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	135084

Had to find out at which place the locking device had to be placed, an glued them for the time being with some CA.

Name:	IMG_1807.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	135085

Those pieces of lead ensure a firm lock inside the topedo's by gravity.

Last step was to make some wires attached to both the controle rods and the lockingdevices.

Made a vid to show how the whole concept works, enjoy

Next week i will have some testing inside the tub, which also will be documented, stay tuned

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh, man! You've made Rube Goldberg proud, sir!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...