X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Hey, Moe!! Hey, Larry!! Nyuk, nyuk!!

The "crazy one" is back!! Abandon hope all ye who enter here!! Hah!!

O.K.! We have forward plane retract float in place.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	float1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	90314
    I drilled a 3/32" hole in a piece of 1/8" x 1/4" styrene and temporarily anchored it in place.
    In hindsight, I should have drilled it a little smaller, but this will work fine!

The float itself is a piece of closed cell foam that was leftover from my little Revell 1/230 Skipjacks'
    1 1/4" SD. That's a nickel sitting on top of it for size comparison.

The float is a little too light to retract the planes, but I'm considering adding a bit of weight to it by
    sticking a penny(?) to the bottom of it with a little silicone, which should help considerably. ( or not??)

Name:	float2.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	90315
    This photo was taken at the bow looking aft.
    As is clearly visible, the port plane doesn't retract all the way against the hull.
    I'll have to shorten the operating arm to correct that. The starboard plane "pegs" before the port side is all the way in.
    Should be a "no-brainer" fix!

As there's not a whole lot of room in this area (Really?), the planes will still be in "dive mode" when she's at the surface,
    but at least they won't be flapping around like some crazed seabird!! From the outset of the "challenge",
    I was pretty sure that this would be the case! Oh, well!! I gave it a good shot!! Once back on her stand though,
    they'll be folded in all the way! I'll take the little victories as they come!!

But just the fact that they work at all, in such a small model, got me pretty "stoked"!! The "old fart" here
    still has "it"! (Wonder if antibiotics will clear it up? LOL)

Next up, I think, will be a shot of primer inside the hull, after a little clean-up sanding! Then I'm "goin' in"!!
    Gonna "bite-the-bullet" and glue the hull halves together! Arrrgh!!! Pray fer me, y'all!!

That is all!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

That is so slick! Wonderful job. Hey ... I was just kidding, but you made it work. You've got all the linkages so tightly done and hid from view -- you've done everything right so far. You got good hands, pal.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

I gotta say, it was a pretty fun thing!! Thanks for "putting me up to it"!

If nothing else from all the machining years we sure as heck
        learned patience, but you, my friend, have the hands of a "sturgeon"!! Hah!!

The kids today are too much into the "instant gratification" thing, so everything's
        "hurry-hurry so I can play with it!" ( O.K.! I know, and YOU know that there's a joke in there!! Hah!!)

I just wanna thank the hell outta whoever invented the "Opti-Visor"!! The man is a god!!!!
        (Sorry, M! No "blasphemy" intended! LOL)

Back to the drydock!!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Happy Sunday, fellow "bubbleheads"!!

The reason for the "hole-in-the-deck":

Name:	interference.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	90334
          The linkage sits up just about even with what would be the top of the deck.

Name:	bottom.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	90335
          This is looking at the bottom of the deck. The hole through it is about .100" x .200",
          which is enough room for the linkage to sit as it should. I beveled the area around the
          hole with a small file and a little sanding stick for good measure!!

Name:	top.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	90336
          Here's the top of the deck with the "auxiliary hatch cover" in place!
          It's cut from a piece of .010" thick styrene and measures about .200" x .300", and
          once painted should hardly be visable. This is a good thing, so that maybe Capt. Guidos'
          crew won't be snooping around it and "wondering" what it's there for!!

In assuring a strict "no-pilfering" policy, our crazy "Eye-talian" skipper has posted a fair warning
          for those who may dare to pursue their curiosity:

Name:	warning.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	90337

Have a nice-a day!!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

O.K.!

I made up some prop guards based on photos I downloaded. Bent up some pieces of
            1/32" diameter brass rod to look like this:

Name:	prop1.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	90339
            Here's a dimensioned CAD drawing of what I came up with, which looks to be pretty close
            to what it should be:

Name:	prop guard.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	90340
            Oops! Sorry, it's inverted from the real deal photo!! The end with the "compound bend" goes aft!

This is what it looks like attached to the hull, with the additional stiffeners:

Name:	prop2.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	90341

They're mounted parallel with the molded-in waterline, which is defined by the
            bottom of the masking tape. The guards are 5/16" above the waterline.

Name:	prop3.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	90342

Once my little aluminum heat sinks arrive, the components will be soldered together, and the joints
            cleaned up. Also left to make, and install, will be the angled supports which will tie into
            the cross pieces, and into the hull, to provide structural support to the whole assembly!

I'm outta here for now! Must observe the fact that "it's five o'clock somewhere"! (Jimmy Buffet fan, here!)
            Y'all have a great evenin'!!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Cut up a sponge into 1/4" cubes, each with a knife-slit half-way through. Slip a sponge 'heat-sink' onto the wire next to the hull, apply water to the sponge till it's saturated, then solder away with reckless abandon!

You're doing great work, Gary.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

For soldering, get one of these, with a screw in element heater. Although the wattage seems quite low, all the heat is generated at the tip, which means this punches well above its weight. I use this for everything from sheet brass, down to small wires. Provided parts to be soldered are clean, the tip is so hot that you can get a good joint and have the element off the workpiece before there is much heat soak.
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

M:
                  Thanks for the "duh" moment!
                  I've done that many times but it totally slipped my mind this time, as so many other things do periodically!!
                  Must be an "old fart" thing!! Hah!

Albion:
                  Great tool! I have a couple, but have gotten pretty spoiled with my little Iso-Tip!
                  Heats up in a couple of heartbeats and is really maneuverable! Good to have a few
                  options, tho'!!

crazygary

Comment

• Aug 2008

If I could gather all the things I've forgotten, I would be a frig'n genius! As it is now, I'll settle for ill-tempered functional-moron.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

I'm definitely with ya on that one, M!!

It's good to have a "dee-dee-dee" moment once in a while! Make's ya feel that much
                      "more smarter" when ya don't screw something up!! Hah!!

I'm guessing that the 1/32" rod is a pretty sensible choice for diameter! Since 1" in 1/144 scale
                      is about .007" that makes the guards around 4 1/2" dia.! Sounds pretty o.k.!?

O.K.! 'Soon's the caffeine kicks in, I'm off to the drydock!
                      Have a good one!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• crazygary
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2012

Prop guards are soldered and installed! Just finished soldering them,
                        so they're "in-the-rough" right now.

I'll clean them up in the morning, and add the angled supports under them
                        and into the hull.

Name:	guards1.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	90356Click image for larger version

Name:	guards2.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	90357

Look, Ma!! I didn't melt the hell outta the hull!! WOOHOO!!!!!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Well done, sir. You want fillets in there anyway. A little file work, a rub-down with some '000' steel wool and you're good to go.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

I'll dab a little thick-bodied CA where they go into the hull too!
                            Want some nice fillets there, as well!!

CG

Comment

• crazygary
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2012

Hiya, M!

I need to ask your opinion on a couple of things!

The 1/32" brass pushrods that I'm using to control the dive planes and the rudder are pretty flimsy.
                              And the fact that they're danged near all of 12" long, and need a bit of a bend in them to reach over the SD
                              doesn't help either! I'm considering slipping some 1/16" tubing over them to keep them from gettin' all
                              frittered up! I'll leave about 1/4" of the 1/32" sticking out of both ends for connection purposes. Sound pretty o.k.?
                              I'm guessing the little bit of extra weight won't be a major concern?

Also, even though I'm no where near the final painting stages yet, what would be a good choice for a nice looking color combination
                              befitting a WWII sub? The kit shows her to be black, with a medium gunship gray deck and con. I've also seen photos of a really
                              light gray on top. To me, it looks a little too light, but.... ?

I'm getting ready to solder the prop guard lower supports and clean up all the joints. Been working for "She Who...well, you know!! Hah!!
                              May have photos by the end of the day?

Thanks, as usual, for your input, Buddy! Much appreciated!

Gary

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
                                Hiya, M!

I need to ask your opinion on a couple of things!

The 1/32" brass pushrods that I'm using to control the dive planes and the rudder are pretty flimsy.
                                And the fact that they're danged near all of 12" long, and need a bit of a bend in them to reach over the SD
                                doesn't help either! I'm considering slipping some 1/16" tubing over them to keep them from gettin' all
                                frittered up! I'll leave about 1/4" of the 1/32" sticking out of both ends for connection purposes. Sound pretty o.k.?
                                I'm guessing the little bit of extra weight won't be a major concern?

Also, even though I'm no where near the final painting stages yet, what would be a good choice for a nice looking color combination
                                befitting a WWII sub? The kit shows her to be black, with a medium gunship gray deck and con. I've also seen photos of a really
                                light gray on top. To me, it looks a little too light, but.... ?

I'm getting ready to solder the prop guard lower supports and clean up all the joints. Been working for "She Who...well, you know!! Hah!!
                                May have photos by the end of the day?

Thanks, as usual, for your input, Buddy! Much appreciated!

Gary
                                Do this: Go to your hobby shop and score a few lengths of carbon-carbon fiber rod, about 1/16" diameter. Very light-weight and very stiff. Glue your .032" brass rods to that.

Go with the late-war three-tone topside. More interesting than black.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...