X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Gary,
    Well done. Atta-boy (and every other accolade that will annoy M).
    Very good explanation and many will learn from your posting.
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

1/144 Kilo with external rudder linkage
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Japanese Kilo rudder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	90009
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

G'morning, Sublime!!

I didn't realize that your sub is also 1/144 scale. I may have to have a look at the Revell Type XXI down the road!
        The German subs all have something really neat looking about them!

Very pleased to hear that my Gato build is helping you out as well!! A "side benefit" of posting your work is that
        it can address issues others may be facing! Good enough reason for me to be doing it!!

Keep us on the radar screen when you get your components together and begin your build, and post your progress as often as you can!
        Your methods will, I'm sure, become beneficial to the rest of us!!

Good luck and have fun!!

crazygary

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Hey, thanks a bunch for those "annoying" words, Tom!! (LOL)
          I've learned quite a bit from your endeavors, which is allowing me
          to progress pretty smoothly, so far! Sharing failures as well as your many successes
          is a big help!!

Also, many thanks to you, Redboat, for posting the linkage photo
          of your Kilo!! Really like the very nice fairing in of the guide tube!!

crazygary

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

It's not mine. Got it off a Japanese site.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

You got the right heart Gary, the sharing of successes and failures helps us all learn. That is one thing that sets this site apart from many other sites. I would say also the free sharing of ideas and experiences is also right up there in qualities of this site. Thank you David and Mike for providing this sub based environment.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Gary's very much the spark-plug, isn't he. The old fart!

Now, as to your observation about the site, Tom:

Well, it all falls on Mike, in my opinion. He's the one who risked money time and company resources to make the forum available. He's also committed, fully, to marketing the things we need to make this very specialized aspect of the r/c vehicle hobby possible: Mike not only finds vendors and markets stuff, he's also commissioned the top guys in their respective fields and had them do the research, prototype work, do the beta-testing, resulting in the production of specialized devices, kits, and parts just for Caswell company customers. We are the beneficiaries from a guy who has the cash, administrative resources, facilities, business sense, and enthusiasm to properly foster this, the most technically demanding of all the r/c vehicle types.

Yes, there are other forums. Some a waste of band-width, others OK for general chit-chat and calender posting. But, this, The Sub-driver Forum, is very much the place (in America anyway, the Germans and French are light years ahead of us) for quick, informed, and well thought out discussion pertaining to the nuts-and-bolts aspect of r/c submarining.

It's very much a class-society here: we have the elites, and the common air-breathers. You know who you are! I and Mike insure that only good dope is pushed from this site, and we're not at all afraid to call things as we see them when things go askew. This is not a democracy; we do not give a tinker's damn about the observance of PC -- in fact, when we see it, we hunt down, kill and eat anyone who smears the language with it; and we promote excellence, and won't hesitate to put our boot up anyone's back-side who evidences potential but does not advance quick enough to suit us.

Over here, in this forum, we say what we mean, and hold the posters accountable for what they say ... and do.

It's been a joy working with you Bum's!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

Hats off to Mike and you, M!! Without the knowledge, cojones, and caring that you both exhibit on a daily basis,
                  many of us wouldn't even BE in this aspect of r/c, let alone be successful at it.

The general membership of this "small and motley" group of modelers are also what make this forum like no other!
                  Sure we all "b*tch and moan" occasionally, but when push comes to shove, we're here for eachother.

I, for one, am damned proud to be associated with the rest of you "bums"!! Long live "Subdriver.Com",
                  and "the rest" of you, please know that you too can be a part of this great ride. Ya just gotta look
                  at what ya got now, and where ya can be!

O.K.! Enuff fanny smooching!!
                  Back to work, Pilgrims!! Hah!!

crazygary

BTW: no work on my Gato today as I , unfortunately, have discovered that I have a little bit of a life
                  outside of r/c subs!! Sorry for the "blasphemy"!! LOL

Lions Club function today, but back at it tomorrow!!

Comment

• Sublime
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    rack-and-pinion.

M
                    My apologies, your brilliance went over my head, Sir! At first I thought an R&P would be too far over my head. A little thinking and a shot of George Dickel has potentially reversed that decision. A micro plastic rack and pinion set would be an outstanding way to move the rudder in tiny cramped 1/144 spaces. I just happen to do volunteer work rebuilding computers for kids. We end up with a ton of junk printers and scanners that I'll bet have a wealth of plastic micro rack and pinion sets in them. Thank you. Take Note CG!
                    Last edited by Sublime; 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Well noted, Sublime!!

Thanks for the heads up!!

Happy building!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Sublime
                        My apologies, your brilliance went over my head, Sir! At first I thought an R&P would be too far over my head. A little thinking and a shot of George Dickel has potentially reversed that decision. A micro plastic rack and pinion set would be an outstanding way to move the rudder in tiny cramped 1/144 spaces. I just happen to do volunteer work rebuilding computers for kids. We end up with a ton of junk printers and scanners that I'll bet have a wealth of plastic micro rack and pinion sets in them. Thank you. Take Note CG!
                        Often the solution is in our hands ... and we don't know it!

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Sublime
                          Often the solution is in our hands ... and we don't know it!

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

Keep a roll of paper towels handy!!!
                            ( Sorry! Just couldn't resist, as resistence if often futile!! lol)
                            Once a "class clown, always a class clown"! Hah!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

thanks for the visual!

... back to work.

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

My pleasure, Master!! Just doin' my job!!

Back to the sub base soon's I stir my "bisgetty" sauce!! I'm way in to cooking, too!!
                                One of my other favorite hobbies!!

Little "glitch" with drilling out the fairleads! Seems that some "kid" drilled the hole
                                crooked in one of them, and ah cain't save it!! So, am fabbing a replacement from some scrap styrene!
                                Danged kids!!!!!

Photos a bit later!!

crazygary, out!

Comment

Working...