• Aug 2008

Less talk, more work. Hubba-hubba!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Get familiar with the sub here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/04idx.htm

I love this site.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Holy frijoles!!!! My Virgo "analism" is gonna drive me to the nearest "rubber room"!!

"So, wiseguy, ya want flood holes, huh??? Take ye a gander at these bad boys, ya swab!! AAARRGH!!!!"

Mama MIA!! There be a veritable plethora of f*#*#*in' holes!!" Gees, Grasshopper!! Be mindful of what ye ask!!"

Well, shoot howdy, like "The Man" said: "Less talk-more work"!

I'm off to "la-la" land!!

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Also, many thanks for that link, Tom!!
            Plenty of really good information there!
            Will become my new best friend in short order!

Comment

• crazygary
              Captain
              • Sep 2012

O.K., O.K.!!
              On to "Plan B"!! (Duh!) After a short break to let the blood return to me fingers!! Arrgh!

Smart*ss here has, with some reservation, decided that just "maybe" ALL the flood holes aren't so important to me!! (LOL)
              As in, the little 1/16" x 5/32" ones! Me old peepers just ain't up to the task!

At any rate, a pretty fair representation of what the 1:1 had will be present!!
              Had this been the 1/72 Gato, mighta coulda been a different story! Howsomever.....!

Ennyhoo, enuff updatin'! Back to work.

Photos to follow!!

Comment

• Sublime
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by crazygary
                O.K., O.K.!!
                On to "Plan B"!! (Duh!) After a short break to let the blood return to me fingers!! Arrgh!

Smart*ss here has, with some reservation, decided that just "maybe" ALL the flood holes aren't so important to me!! (LOL)
                As in, the little 1/16" x 5/32" ones! Me old peepers just ain't up to the task!

At any rate, a pretty fair representation of what the 1:1 had will be present!!
                Had this been the 1/72 Gato, mighta coulda been a different story! Howsomever.....!

Ennyhoo, enuff updatin'! Back to work.

Photos to follow!!
                I sooo owe you a drink for calling attention to the limber hole issue in 1/144 scale. I was using a 1/32 drill bit in a pin vice to open up the deck on my Type XXI. I am now reevaluating that plan. I have a chuck and a foot switch on order to make my Dremel more precise and slooower.

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

O.M.G!

Somebody shoot me if I ever decide to scab in a bunch of limber holes in anything smaller than 1/72 scale!!

The "bigger" (notice the quotation marks!) holes are about 5/32" x 1/4". I did the pin vise "thing" also.
                  No power tools were abused or otherwise harmed during this operation! (Gratuitous insertion for the "friends-of-the-power-tools" coalition!!)

Piloted them first with a 1/16" drill bit, and followed that up with a 1/8". Close enough to 5/32 for me!
                  Put a little "mileage" on my pin vise corps!! Hah!!

Looks pretty good, too!!

Next up will be to do something with the internal bulkheads so that the 1 1/4" SD will sit in there nicely.
                  Will do that in the morning, and post photos and witty commentary, as I'm off to a VFW meeting shortly!
                  Being Post Commander sometimes has it's drawbacks!!

crazygary, out! ( Of my mind???)

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

Houston, we have flood holes!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	hull drains.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	89966

After inventorying my remaining and "still-vibrantly-active" brain cells, I chose not to pursue the opening of
                    all the really small limber holes, as 67 years of excellent eyesight is no longer the case, and rather than do
                    a "munch" job, I decided to pass on them!! (Good call!)

Today I'll be "massaging" the molded in "pressure hull" cradles so my 1 1/4" SD will nestle in them with a bit
                    of a snug fit. Am also contemplating adding some limber holes to the outer edges of the deck. Notice that
                    I said, "contemplating"!! Hah!!

My Gato will be built as a dynamic diver, which will mean that the molded-in aft dive planes will have to be
                    "reworked" so as to become functional. I may end up having to cast some out of resin, but the Jury's still out on that!
                    It will depend mostly on my ability to successfully cut the molded in planes from the stern of the sub, without
                    doing a "hack job" on them! (Film at eleven!!)

Back later with success or failure! I'll post the end results, whatever they may be!

crazygary, out!

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Dee-dee-dee!!

O.K., O.K.!!

Ned to retract everything I said about the aft dive planes. Don't know what the heck
                      I was thinking of, but the planes are not molded in! Must have been thinking about an
                      entirely different sub!!

My bad!!!!

So, that's one less brain-tweaker I have to deal with!! Cool!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!
                      Had this been a real emergency....yadda, yadda, yadda!!!

Comment

• crazygary
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2012

G'mornin', M!!

Got a prop question for my little Gato. The plastic props provided measure out at .640". Just a "taste" over 5/8".

I found something that'll work at Harbor Models, but the diameter choices are .6 or .75! I'm guessing that the .6 dia. will be o.k.,
                        but would rather have a little more blade working for me! Not sure if the .75 will clear the hull?? Any thoughts?? Also, would the extra weight
                        be an issue?

I know I'm way ahead of the game, but would rather get something ordered now so I'm not waiting
                        for props when I need them.

As always, I appreciate your input!

crazygary

Comment

• Scott T
                          Commander
                          • May 2009

Take a penney and hold it at the prop location to see if .75 inch prop will fit.

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

Sweet!! Good call, Scott!!

Yeah! Looks like she'll be good to go!

And all this time, I thought it was only good for spendin'!!

Thanks a bunch!!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

For Christ's Sake!.... what the hell's the problem using the kit provided propellers!?????.......

KISS, ******!.... KISS!

Less talki-talki. More workie-workie!

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

Wasn't sure if the plastic props would actually function as needed!!

Apparently they will!!?

Still need to incorporate some brass tubing and prop shafting. I'll want to bush the stuffing tube areas of the struts so a prop shaft can
                                spin in there without f*#*#*g up the plastic.

Later for that!

Back to the drydock!

Comment

Working...