Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You IDIOT!!!!!

I'll put a replacement in your upcoming C.A.R.E. package.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thank you sir!
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

The leak that I had in the dry section of the Subdriver was greatly reduced but is still there. Another session in the tub with an air hose plugged into it on one end and me huffing and puffing on the other end, revealed some seepage past the oring on the ballast tank bulkhead. When you do that, keep in mind two things. First, keep a finger or two over the motor bulkhead so that it doesnt blow off while you are blowing into the hose. Second, to see if the ballast tank bulkhead is leaking, you have to flood the ballast tank to see if any air is being pushed into the ballast tank while you are blowing into the hose. Tomorrow Ill pull it out again and get four or five wraps of trim tape down into the bottom of the oring groove. Thatll probably wrap that up.
        Also , I was having problems with air buildup under the forward deck. So, I cut the foam in half and moved it over to the edges and drilled some escape holes down the middle. Since the decking planks will eventually go on there to cover them up, Im not too worried about what it looks like. Because there is an odd seem contour at the joint air can shoot right past the holes you drill. Therefore I irrigated the holes. In other words I chamfered the holes and also, using the edge of a Dremel cutoff wheel, I opened a clear path to the holes from both sides.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	91228Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 806.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	91229
        Last edited by greenman407; 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Still working on getting the prop painted. Looks like itll be Wednesday for the pond test.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Heres a couple of bronze props. Im trying to match the color. In the light and out of the light.Click image for larger version

Name:	rc-boat-4-baldes-font-b-propeller-b-font-6717-font-b-bronze-b-font-font.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	91235Click image for larger version

Name:	bronze props.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	91236Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 807.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	91237Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 812.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	91238

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

There are many kinds of Bronzes. Phosphor bronze, silicone bronze,Nibral(nickel aluminum bronze),plastic bronze, architectural bronze,aluminum bronze all with varying percentages. Propellors made during the 20th century are reported to be Alpha Bronze(88% cooper 12% tin). They start out life ,bright and shiny, but as a layer of Oxides build up on the outside surface, it begins to darken into a flat coffee or chocolate color. I have quite a few Beryllium copper propellers for race boats, made by Octura propellers and they are a similar color.
              Last edited by greenman407; 04-28-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

The trim tape under the oring made a big difference. I needed a hammer and a block of wood to get it started back into the Subdriver. Its all cinched up now awaiting the bathtub test. I have an appointment with the pond on wednesday, so this ,I hope will do her.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good study on the various alloy ratios to bronze, Mark. And your observations about oxidation is useful too.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Today I did a little bit to get her ready for tomorrows outing. I installed the prop and adjusted the balky old Subtek APC-4. Its really touchy when it comes to setting level using the potentiometer on the circuit board. It wants to be set everywhere else except nuetral. I think I finally found the narrow sweetspot. If its not just right Im afraid that it wont work right. The ADF2 is much easier. The one good thing I can say about it is that you have a potentiometer to adjust sensitivity too.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The early SubTech angle-keepers employed a liquid type angle sensor. Over time they would dry out and get touchy, eventually not working at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0126.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	91247

Back 'in the day', Skip Asay's work (angle-keeper, fail-safe, depth-keeper and other model submarine specific devices perfected, mass produced and put on the market) was the prime reason this hobby started a growth spurt in the mid-80's.

Skip Asay is, in my opinion, the most influential guy on the US r/c submarine front, ever. He transitioned the hobby from the hands of the truly gifted mechanics and other practitioners of the black-arts and got it into the grubby hands of the great-unwashed idiots who, because of Skip's work, now only had to know how to plug a servo into a receiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0128.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	91248

It was Skip Asay who first hit on the idea of converting a commercial helicopter rate-gyro device into a gravity sensing device -- the grand-daddy of today's electronic angle-keeper.

Skip Asay is the Godfather of American r/c submarining. His research, innovations, articles, talks and regatta attendance is the reason why.

Any one want to challenge me on this? Anyone?.....

M
                      Attached Files
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Nope....not me.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

As Promised, into the pond she went. Its amazing to me the difference two different bodies of water can make. In the bathtub, I thought that I had the trim dialed in pretty good. But, when I got to the pond, it didnt look like I had done a blessed thing to it. So , I spent somemore time trying to get her trimmed. This has got to be the most sensitive submarine to trim that I have yet to encounter. Just a 1/4 ounce moved just a quarter of an inch makes a huge difference. Anyway, when I got to the pond I noticed two things, one..that the right rear stern plane had broken loose from the shaft and was flopping around. That put an end to diving this thing, along with the fact that ....apparently , I had installed the APC in backwards. Well we will get the APC turned around, and as for the stern planes, Im going to drill and pin them tonight. As you can see I drove it around a little while on the surface. A big difference between the Skipjack and the type 23 as far as maneuverability is concerned. The Skipjack has two rudders and they are a lot bigger and therefore wheel that baby right around. The type 23 takes about 10' to turn her around. Going backwards, the rudder hard over, barely makes an impression. Enjoyable however. We will make some adjustments and be back at the pond next week, along with the Seaview.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 818.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	91253Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 819.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	91254Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 820.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	91255Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 824.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	91256

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

With the 400 motor turning that prop, shell move right along too. Well wring her out......next time.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 828.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	91257Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 830.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	91258Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 831.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	91259Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 832.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	91260Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 834.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	91261

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

IT IS DONE!! 1/16" brass rod thru a 1/16" hole.Followed up with one drop of thin CA.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 870.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	91264Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 871.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	91265

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Got her into the Kiddie pool. Note that it is bow heavy. Its going back and forth on me. And each time Im making sure that I got all the air out.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 874.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	91270
                                Last edited by greenman407; 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...