Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Tom and redboat and Dave, Thanks for expressing interest. Im sorry to say that, despite our best efforts we didnt make it to Clearwater as promised. Sometimes Life just doesnt cooperate. It is ready to go, we just need to find the next oppurtunity. Ill keep you informed. Sorry.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Life happens. We can wait until circumstances come together. Just look forward to rejoicing with you.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
        I dived into my archives and only found those yellow stripes on the tower,deck or exhaust, meaning that the boat is in UAK, this happened with all boats prior to delevery, done to iron out the problems before they went into action.
        Either that white waterline mark is a scumline or painted by the French, the Germans where very conservative with their RAL colours, usually darkgrey under the waterline and lightgrey above, only the last period of the war they added darkgrey to their decks, done to be less visible near the surface for spotting from airplanes.

Manfred.
        right on Manfred, obviously a French addition as that is who is in possession of the war prize. Yellow stripe around the tower is training flotilla only.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

One other detail or two. Its incredible how pitch sensitive this submarine is. Last time I was at Duck Lake with it in Clearwater I had to "fine tune" the APC to get it to ride at periscope depth without going up and down. But once that was done it rode smoothly and evenly. I was just noticing recently in the kiddy pool how just 1/4 ounce of weight moved 1/4" can change the boats attitude. I have never seen a boat soooo sensitive to lead and foam placement. That may be because all the other boats I have dealt with, ie: Seaview, Oscar, Albacore, Skipjack, all have a rounded wide or somewhat flat bottoms. This boat is narrow. Just like the Gato that I am now working on, I think its much harder to fine tune.
          Also my Frankenstein WTC for this thing was getting water into the dry space. Out came the schrader valve core. On went the rubber hose and into the bathtub it went. A few puffs on the hose and THERE IT WAS! My leak. A screw head that I had put in on the motor bulkhead had not been properly sealed around. Sealed.......done.
          Last edited by greenman407; 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM. Reason: Booboo

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
            tom and redboat and dave, thanks for expressing interest. Im sorry to say that, despite our best efforts we didnt make it to clearwater as promised. Sometimes life just doesnt cooperate. It is ready to go, we just need to find the next oppurtunity. Ill keep you informed. Sorry.

you lied to me!!!!!

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Oh if only i could go back in time!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

The Hoover dam boat was a type XXIII werk number 950 built F Krup Germaniawerft AG Kiel. Would have been comissioned U 4708, but was shipped in 5 parts on the DKM Hilfskreuzer Michel disguised as a merchant frieghter to Indoniesia and delivered to the IJN base there. Assembled by a small U boat skeleton crew and a couple rockettiers from Luftwaffa. that acompanied the Rhientochter R-1 R/C guided missile with the U boat parts. Japanes laborers assembled the boat and was then towed by either the I-9 or I-10, which all three boats were seen at La Palmas secret IJN base in Baha Mexico. The U boat was towedwith the crew mostly on the surface but could simotainiously dive with the mother boat The IJN subs were C Class 373ft boats with a hanger bay for one aircraft, I is suspected the R-1 went in one of the hangers. but was only witnessed already assembled on the launcher on the type XXIII just before departing on a shake down cruise. Then it was towed from La Palmas around Cabo san lucas and up the sea of Cortes to the mouth of the Colorado. The boat then ran up river at night on iots own diesel powerand hiding in the jungle by day till it got to the Laguana dam 12 miles north of Yuma. (check out the Laguna dam ans see the Swastikas all over it to this day)The boat was taken apart by the German conscripted workers that built the dam and moved up river by heavy equipment trucks and a crane supplied the workers and re assembled and put back on the river above the Parker dam. There they were to have been joined by a U Boat POW crew and their Kaloin Jurgen Waltenberg who were at the Japanese American detention camp at Papago Park. and had escapeda few days before the boat got to the rondezvous. Unfortunately most of the escapees were immiediatly rounded up by some alert Native American Indians. There is a possibility that a few made the rondezvous but not Waltenberg.. None the less the crew proceded on but eventually ran aground on a sandbar and abandoned the mission. Most were captured wondering around the desert for days. However the boat and missile on deck were discovered and a custody battle ensued between the Army Air Corps and the Navy. The Army got the missile and deengineered it and ended upat Edwards air base and still on display in a museum. The boat however was moved from the river bank and attempte to be moved by two Army Tank recovery viehicles. The Navy guys had no idea it could be taken apart and ended getting bogged down in the Mojave desert. It was abandoned and designated a bombing and strafing targer for the remainder of the war and then some. Eventually the post war river projects got new dams and the river became lake Mojave, where the remains of the boat are today. The XXIII only draws 3,6 meters and at that time the river was 20 ft deep most of the way, back in those days, so it was not such a far fetched idea as one would have assummed. There are relics that were taken from the boat by the Navy Chief in charge of the detail to initially move the boat. What he got, and where it is now, is hard to find out. Some of the stuff that was sent to Washington by the chief my have had a certain bronze plaque that the Navy had requested, be sent along with the Chiefs souvineers. Where that is now is a mistery. There is way more to this story with details of spys movie stars and gold bars. Dont know why Hollywood hasnt done a movie. of the event. Definately coverd up during the war, J Edgar didnt want to startle the public, I guess.
                Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-14-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

That would make quite a movie

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Some good reading in Arthur Gehrke's book "La Palma Secret Base" a historic novel. and the Wanderling report "story behind the story" Attack on the Hover Dam. The La Palma base was a crude hacked out of the jungle place, not widely used, but the Magdalana bay base was a big port of call to Axis ships and subs in southern Baha. This was where the Panama Canal attack was suppose to originate. The plan was to have a fleet of large subs with aircraft hangers in place to torpedo the locks in the canal. In 1939-40 the IJN already had built several C class with hangers to accomidate the E-14Y "Glen" float plane. They were conducting tests with them before Pearl Harbor. The first use of the Glen was just a few weeks after the attack off the I-25 dropped its two bombs on a forest in Origon successfully.. The problem was the Glen was small and couldnt carry the weight ofa serious bomb load. The C class boats hanger was too small, so the I 400 series of boats were to be the main battle force. They would be able to handle two larger float planes each, The war started too soon for both the Germans and the Japanese as we all know. Good thing for us. They didnt get the I 400s in the war till it was too late If the Axis had waited a year till starting the war and had collaborated with all the Hi teck weaponry they had. we all would be eating sushi and strudel now. OH! wait a minuite, WE ARE! what the Frog, (over) so solly GI ist mach nicht!

Comment

• MFR1964
                      Detail Nut of the First Order
                      • Sep 2010

I agree with Mark, the XXIII is a sensitive little bugger, but once dialed in, she runs nice.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Today was the day. We drove 60 miles to get to Clearwater. I pulled out the type 23 and was doing my final checks. Then , I lost ch. 1. Then I lost ch. 2. I pulled the WTC out and apart to check connections and or anything else I could think of. Then I lost ch. 3. OK so this new receiver must be going bad. Well, thats it for the type 23 for today. So I then took out the Scamper. Hooked it up............and then ......the very same thing. No doubt my Polk Tracker has bit the dust. I guess I was over due. I havent had any radio problem in 5 or 6 years at least.
                        But really, when you think about it, 5 or 6 years isnt that long when you think about how little "ON" time this radio has had. Im thinking thats not very good. About 6 months ago, I bought another one off of Ebay. I guess its time to pull it out of the box and get it programmed with all my models. I guess this also means I need to get back on Ebay and find a few more to put up for a rainy day like today was.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                          Today was the day. We drove 60 miles to get to Clearwater. I pulled out the type 23 and was doing my final checks. Then , I lost ch. 1. Then I lost ch. 2. I pulled the WTC out and apart to check connections and or anything else I could think of. Then I lost ch. 3. OK so this new receiver must be going bad. Well, thats it for the type 23 for today. So I then took out the Scamper. Hooked it up............and then ......the very same thing. No doubt my Polk Tracker has bit the dust. I guess I was over due. I havent had any radio problem in 5 or 6 years at least.
                          But really, when you think about it, 5 or 6 years isnt that long when you think about how little "ON" time this radio has had. Im thinking thats not very good. About 6 months ago, I bought another one off of Ebay. I guess its time to pull it out of the box and get it programmed with all my models. I guess this also means I need to get back on Ebay and find a few more to put up for a rainy day like today was.

Oh .... man! One of those day, huh?

There are places that will service that radio. Look around, Mark.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I didnt think that there was such a place. I Googled it and came up with "Radio South". Im going to give them a call. Thanks Dave!http://www.radiosouthrc.com/radio_repair.htm

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I just talked to Tony. He said that he can take care of it. No Problem

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Im going to send the radio off Monday. Another mod Im going to ask him to do is to take the left stick control, the spring loaded left and right control that I use to blow ballast and vent the tank, is to change it from spring loaded back to center, to one of rachet style detent. That way, just before you put the sub in the water, on Propel models, you count the number of clicks from center to where the gas just starts to release. That way you can avoid EMERGENCY BLOW when all you want to do is move to a scale like transition from submerged to surfaced or decks awash.
                                Tony from Radio South told me that there used to be at least 50 different shops that did radio repairs. He says that they are all gone. He is the last one. Kinda sobering isnt it?

Comment

Working...