1/35 scale type 23

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Looking good, Mark. I want to see if you have the same 'dive-of-death' issue with this model that I had with mine. I expect a full report soon!

Yes, Kevin McLeon's electronic devices are the way to go in this hobby. Love his stuff!

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Sure enough. If youll recall, earlier in this build thread, I had this boat in the water several times in Clearwater, at Duck lake. I got it all sorted out there. The handling was nice straight and consistant. I didnt have any problems once I got the Thor adjustable APC dialed in. Well since then the Thor APC started doing its jittering thing on its own. I CANT STAND THAT! So into the trash it went. The occasion of my previous testing is found in this particular thread on page 12
      Last edited by greenman407; 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MFR1964
        Nice work Mark, you''re getting there, as for the scope, the lenght had to be that long because of the schnorkelmast, with the scope you just can see over the schnorkelhead, during underwater travel they tend to go up and down, in real live there was a kind of mechanical levelkeeper onboard, it wasn't that accurate, so the boat went up and down within a few meters, when your scope is too short, the conningtower will break through the surface, a captains nightmare.
        Correct me if i'm wrong, but the germans used 7 or 9 meter long peroscopes, depending on which boat, on my type VII they are 9 meters long.

Manfred.
        Dont ask me, I jus
        t work here, besides you are the German sub expert, you and Vonhilde. Speaking of Von, I
        havent seen him post
        latel
        y. Maybe h
        es
        o
        ut
        on patrol.

Comment

• MFR1964
          Detail Nut of the First Order
          • Sep 2010

Sometimes he's crawling around on my Ko Hyoteki thread, peppering me with usefull historical information,

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6150087_zps280161a7.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	112252

This one is for you Mark, a rare picture from the XXIII scope and snorkel, you can see it's reaching into heaven, just like the snorkelmast, on my model i left them shorter due to the use of the 2,5 SD

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Thank You Sir! You ARE a Scholar And a Gentlemen......all rolled up into one!

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I dont like losing propellors. As you know , Ive lost a few. So, to that end I started sticking a drill bit in the set screw hole to put a mark on the shaft. Then pulling the prop shaft out, I drill out that mark until the set screw will go into the hole. Then after you put it together, some blue loctite will do the rest.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Today I continued with the painting. Using precut widths of masking tape, I used them to set the width of the white diagonal line I needed to paint. 3/16" suited me as 1/4" seemed too wide. Yesterday I painted some dark Grey. I was having trouble getting the airbrush to spray. Everything was clean and open but it turned out that the low temperatures had thickened up the paint I was using(rustoleum) and I didnt have any thinner for it. So I turned up the pressure to 45 lbs. And opened up the flow to get it to spray. It came out well.I need to paint the white line on the starboard side, glue in the planes protecting fins on the four corners, mount the walk boards and spray on some clear flat finish and we are done.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Today I painted the white stripe on the other side and installed the Bow and stern plane protector fins. I can tell you right now for any of you who plan to re-create this paint scheme, that 3/16" is too wide. I didnt realize that until I saw it on the models port side after I removed the masking tape. OH WELL! Such is life. Im not going to repaint them..................at least I dont think I am. Too many other Irons in the fire.
                  Last edited by greenman407; 01-31-2016, 08:23 PM. Reason: Not thru jawing yet

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

What about getting 1/16" pin striping tape or masking tape and lay it down over your stripe? Then after you paint the bottom paint and top paint when you peal off the 1/16" tape you will have your finer line.
                    Last edited by trout; 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Thanks Tom. Everything else is already painted. We will live with it for a while and see how it works for me. Maybe itll be ok

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I mean its not like its horrible or anything.....just perhaps a bit over stated.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Got some touch up to do as well as repairing the rudder. Seems like the set screw on the rudder itself has stripped out and the rudder flops around. Then a final trimming.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

What a screaming POS! Could you possibly make that boot-topping any wider???? And what did you apply that paint with .... a power washer. God! ... after looking at those pictures I feel like I need a shower and scrub-down with Commit cleanser!

That waterline at the stern does not end in a 'point'! It rounds the stern in a tight radius. Next time use a Machinist's surface gauge/waterline marking tool!

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Right you are Sir! (wink...wink)

Comment

• MFR1964
                                Detail Nut of the First Order
                                • Sep 2010

Mark,<br />
                                <br />
                                Nice job on the painting, still i wonder myself about that white line, never encountered this on the pics i have, only the french one has a kind of white like scumline, on the other hand, if you like it, keep it that way.<br />
                                Now hit the water!!!!, and let her swim!!!<br />
                                <br />
                                Manfred
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...