Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter W
    replied
    Manfred, 2:15 on the video....... I think it's neat too! Stupid point/question time. Is the delay in the 2 scopes going up a pressure thing, intentional or other? just wondering.
    I also love the way the sub "snaps" apart.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Hear, hear Tom,

There is a general attitude present, if there are problems, you're not the only one that is thinking about the solution, there is so much experience present, and due to the internet, it's possible to communicate and exchange our findings.

As for the scopes, i've builded my first set in the early 90's for my type VII, they still work great, only greased them with vaseline once a year, the innovation in this set is, the use of a LPB in combination with the airswitch, which gives you a very compact system, allowing it to be used inside the 2,5" SD.
    Now i know it's working, i have to make some modifications at my Walter V80 in the future, moving those scopes at the V80 was a bit of a nightmare, it never worked the way i wanted, now i've got a working solution and can rip out all those pressured air parts, saving me weight and complexity.

As for walking across the same paths, it's the same for me, now and then you got your Eureka moment, only to discover that it has been done allready, for me it's fun to combine those paths into something working, which not has been done before (it probably has, but let me have my dreams), in this chase i was forced to build a compact solution with allready excisting parts.

Now get this beast into the water, hoping to get some solutions, which can help David to ban out his pitchdown demons, to be continued.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    I really like what I see happening on this site. The interaction, sharing of ideas, and the way people are documenting their builds. We all will get better because of it. I know the documentation takes a lot of extra time, so I really appreciate those that take that additional step to share.
    There is a tag from unbuiltnautilus on another site that says "We were not pioneers ourselves, but we journeyed over old tracks that were new to us, and with hearts open, who shall distinguish?"
    I have recognized that some of my thoughts (that I think are unique) have been done before, but revisiting them I might be able to put just a slight bit different thought or twist. What Manfred has done, pneumatic pistons for scopes, is not new, but his unique way and differences makes a difference. It will inspire and new ideas will come from that.

I can not thank everyone here enough for their inspiration. Thank you Manfred for teaching me new tricks!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    That video was an engineering class! Wow.

Now, get this thing in the water and we'll see if you suffer the same pitch-down problem plaguing my Bronco Type-23.

M
    Yes Sir!!!, working on that Sir!!, tomorrow i'm going to visit my good friend and teacher and show off my XXIII, we will have a chatt about you develish boat's problems, as you earlier stated, we are overlooking the solution.

I will document my progress on trimming the beast, so that we can compare our data.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    That is so incredible, Manfred. Really learning a lot here. The video is great too!
    Thanks Tom,

Getting this to work took some time, but it's fun, if this was a 32 parallel boat, those things would retract all the way down in the conningtower, that darned SD is in the way!!!, but i can live with the result.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied

Now, get this thing in the water and we'll see if you suffer the same pitch-down problem plaguing my Bronco Type-23.

M

Leave a comment:

replied

M

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    That is so incredible, Manfred. Really learning a lot here. The video is great too!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    One WOW is enough David, either you got itchy fingers, or during the last modification of the forum something went wrong, i suspect it's the last remark.

Now to some more serious stuff, the retracting stuff is in working order, made a vid to prove this, also a peek inside the SD to show the stuff which make this things happen.

Next step will be , prepping up the sub for some water, i suspect i'll need some extra lead and foam to counteract all the gizmo's i've build inside, David how much lead did you use intially?, i'm too lazy to plough your thread, enlighten me.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Wow!..................

M

Leave a comment:

replied
    Wow!..................

M

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Today i had high hopes to get all things running, guess what, it took some more effort as expected, so tomorrow i'll make the vid.

This is the maximum length i could get, added some details to the snorkelmast, there are some slidingguides and a tooth track added, in the real live this mast was raised/lowered by using a hydraulic motor, that's the reason of the tooth track.

I made the DF antenna retractable, so when the scope/snorkel is down, the antenna goes up.

When you raise the scope/snorkel it will go down by gravity.

I made a simple pullysystem, which is connected to the lower part of the snorkelmast, using gravity to get it down made it even less complicated.
    Last thing todo is, making a vid of all things moving, be patient.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Made some in the mood pictures after some serious sessions at the SkunkWorks, tomorrow testing the stuff, tinkering and a vid,

I never had made pictures to see how the XXIII looks like compared with my type VIIC, this is neat!!!

Made a construction to place both boats on the stand of the type VII, i have some idea's to extend my static display.

Slapped some paint on the scope and snorkel, tomorrow i'll make some more detailed pics.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Tomorrow i can pick up my needed airswitch, last few days i did some work to get that scope and snorkel inside my conningtower.

First i made a template from the inside of the conningtower.

Took some circuitboard and made the real thing, allready with the needed holes inside, i also wanted to have a clear view inside when you open your conningtower hatch.
    Sanded away the copper layer and drilled some 1 mm holes for better contact when glueing it tight.

Dryfitting all parts, still have to make some flanges onto the actuators, all components will be secured by little M2 screws, so if needed, i can take it out for maintenance.

This is maximum height i can get, the actuators still will fit inside the tower without obstructing the SD, retracted in the lowest position you only can see the peroscopehead and snorkelhead.
    If i've got my airswitch i can start with the inside of the SD, for now i can add the details on both the scope and snorkel, i even have a neat idea about something else, have to see about that.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    That is also a idea Romel, only bear on the trail will be, when using a spring, the height of the compressed spring will make your scope shorter, if you are not restricted by height, it can be made as you described.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

Working...