Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goshawk823
    replied
    that Type XXIII book is a phenomenal reference. I've had mine for years and years.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Mark,

If all goes well, i can retract most of my antenna stuff when driving the boat, just to limit the damage, as for the hose, be patient, pictures will follow.
    The book i have is from, Eberhart Rossler and Fritz Kohl, ISBN 3-7637-6007-5, it's in german language, which is not a problem for me, the pictures and drawings inside say enough to me.
    Also have this as a pdf file, only drawback is, the resolution is lower due to the scanning, you can make the choice which one you want to have.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Normally, I try to limit the number of masts sticking up out of my submarines, but yours look so good Ill probably end up putting them all on, especially the snorkel head. Whats the hose for? Manfred, the type 23 book that you say you have, can you give us more info so that maybe we can purchase one?
    Last edited by greenman407; 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Yeah the 212, a nice little gritter, and even at scale 1/96 fun to build, it sharpened my skills at this scale.

Now back to the type XXIII, it took some time but i've got the holes inside the tower's flange filled, decided not to place the railings from the kit, on most pictures i have they are removed, i think for creating more room for the crew inside the tower.
    Painted the inside, and started with dryfitting the antenna's, also started with something else, pictures

Decided to get the paint inside by hand, more to simulate the work from the crew, i think most of the paintwork inside the tower was done by hand, or at least during maintenance.

Dryfitted the antenna's, just to see at which position i have to drill the holes through the deck, got to paint them first before i can place them inside.

Right now i'm playing around with this small diameter hose, discovered a new item, which i want to place, you can see this at the pics, and i've got this backed up by a drawing inside my Von Orignal Zum Modell type XXIII book.

Leave a comment:

• crazygary
    replied
    The possibilities are pretty endless!!
    Go for it, Albion!! We who are watching salute you!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    I had been content to sit in my world thinking, Manfred does nice detail stuff, but it's 1/32 scale, you can't do that in 1/72, and then you built the 212 and showed us what was really possible.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    In my chase i have a slight disorder for details, must be my static builder history, from my type VII i've gained the experience to make the details during the build, and not afterwards, saves a lot of buildingtime and breaking down old parts.
    It's a matter of choice, each person will have to fight that battle on his own, as for me, i never loose the objective of a nice running boat out of sight, adding details will stand out my boat in the crowd.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    That is just the battle I am going through. I could spend months detailing it out, but I have several subs on my build list - so I will need to compromise or settle.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Tom,

Yep, she's got enough details inside the conningtower, it will keep me busy for some time, i don't mind, it's fun to add those details.

Those strange boxes are glued in, gave the antenna's some more attention, decided to scrap the brackets from Bronco, and builded me some new, by doing this i also could ad the coaxcables.
    Like so many builds i used soldering wire for this, easy to bent and i have this in different sizes.

This was my goal to get this antenna's extended or retracted by hand, it's works like this, took a 1,5 mm brass tube, in which the stainless rod fits, bended the lower part 90 degrees to prefent extruding the antenna completely, used a small shrinkhose on top to prevent pushing in the antenna completely.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Manfred, your timing is perfect. I am working on the details in there too. Yours are looking much better than mine!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Started with the extra details at the conningtower, want to finish that first before i continue the trimming, pictures

First i prepped up the strange boxes i discovered on a picture, and did some work to make the antenna's from stainless steel rods.

Added the extra brackets inside the tower, they are clearly visible on my picture.

Dryfitting the antenna's at the desired positions, you can clearly see that this position is further back as Bronco provided.

Also found out that they use a cover to protect the UZO base, this is logical since most boats had their steps at the front of the tower, so stepping into the tower ocured by standing on the UZO base, they also used a standing rod next to it, simply to provide a handhold when entering the tower.

Added a small hinge, simply for the fun, and in the real live it was also possible to open up the cover before placing the UZO binocular.

Also made a start with the horse-shape requebouy, gave it a layer of paint in preparations for more details.
    Right now i'm working inside the tower to place those strange boxes, and made a start with detailing the antenna's, if i'm lucky they can be extended/retracted by hand, like all small details they are the first to go down the drain, so retracting them saves a lot of misery in the future.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    The airswitch is from Robart, the same as the rc plane guys use to retract their gears, you can buy this of the shelf in the shop, as for the scematic, it's still inside my head.
    I still have to make one for inside my archives, thanks for the reminder of making one, when done i'll post it, be patient.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    Just watched the mast video. Is the air switch a propriety item, or did you make it?
    Any chance of a schematic showing the servo and micro switches, I'm being slightly thick here as to the process. Maybe I spend an hour at work today making sketches of this whilst pretending its a high level marketing plan that no one else will be able to understand.

Leave a comment:

• crazygary
    replied
    Really good stuff here, Manfred!!

Many thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Wow, the V80, that's some time ago,

I made the same provision also inside my type VII, i rather keep those droplets at one place, where i can check things out, water and electronics don't like each other, making this provision takes a little time, and will save a lot of trouble in the future.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

Working...