Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greenman407
    replied
    Agreed. Its trimmed nuetral, it sits even in the water submerged and surfaced. But when you hold it up it balances at the front of the sail.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Mark,

Like you i've got my share in being unemployed, it did speeded up the process, but getting a new job sucked up most spare time, as for the CG of my boat, it's straight under the tower, like my other boats.
    I will have to tinker with the sensibility, starting point will be, as low as possible, my experience also is, the better your boat is trimmed neutral, the easier she will run at peroscope depth.

David,

I like the idea, but wonder if i've got me space enough inside the wet part of my boat, it has become a bit crammed, i only need to compensate the bouyency of the torpedos, those electric runners need each about 3 gram to become neutral, so it will take about 6 gram to counter the balance.
    Worst scenario would be, fire the torpedos before diving.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by MFR1964
    For those who wondered if i'm still alive, yep, i've been filling up the test facility today to make my last run for trimming the beast, i made some testruns, as suspected the new tubes are much lighter in weight.
    Played around with the foam and lead, took her apart to glue in the foam, tomorrow the next run to get the lead right, also did a test with the torpedos inside, on the surface no big difference, under water major difference, have to think about a simple counter balance system if i want to fire them underwater.
    A few years ago Romel had the idea of lead counterweights, which will be disposed when firing a torpedo, have to see if this can be placed inside the boat, first complete the trimming and the maiden trip, after seeing the pics and vids of Tom and Mark i know we have a winner.
    Tomorrow i'll take some pics to show the progress, and if everything goes well i want to test my torpedo system, charging up the cameras.

Manfred.

Instead of dropping weights to make up the lost buoyancy when a torpedo is launched, how about this:

Two inverted thimbles, open at their bottoms, near the center of the tubes -- the capacity of each equal to the amount of water needed to be expelled to regain the buoyancy lost to the weapon when it leaves the boat. A squirt of gas into the respective thimble dumps its water at the moment of launch. Gang actuation of the little 'blow valve' to the firing linkage.

A variation of the old WRT (water round torpedo) compensation tanks in the old boats.

M

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Its interesting. I have five(5) working subs, Oscar, Seaview, Albacore, Skipjack, and type 23. The type 23 is the only one of the group that needs high sensitivity for the APC or ADF. The others are quite happy at lower settings. That might be because the balance point(above water) of the Type 23, right now is a little farther forward than the others. It works as is, so far, even at higher speeds.
    Last edited by greenman407; 05-10-2014, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Well keep in mind, I have been unemployed since mid December, so Ive had more time than you for this most serious of business. The APC im using is not an ADF2. Its an older model of a "Thor" Mfg. Anyway it has a potentiometer to set sensitivity. I would say that its set for high sensitivity.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Yep, up and running,

As for the setting you use with your APC, do you run it most sensitive or less?, it will be most usefull to know, so i can allready adjust the ADF for the coming maidenrun.
    You provided some nice pics running at peroscope depth, hope to get mine as good as yours, it's funny, i started sooner as you guys, and ended up last.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Nice to hear from the Manfred! I was beginning to think that I had a major problem with mine, but I kept turning up the APC sensitivity and it now runs better than good.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    For those who wondered if i'm still alive, yep, i've been filling up the test facility today to make my last run for trimming the beast, i made some testruns, as suspected the new tubes are much lighter in weight.
    Played around with the foam and lead, took her apart to glue in the foam, tomorrow the next run to get the lead right, also did a test with the torpedos inside, on the surface no big difference, under water major difference, have to think about a simple counter balance system if i want to fire them underwater.
    A few years ago Romel had the idea of lead counterweights, which will be disposed when firing a torpedo, have to see if this can be placed inside the boat, first complete the trimming and the maiden trip, after seeing the pics and vids of Tom and Mark i know we have a winner.
    Tomorrow i'll take some pics to show the progress, and if everything goes well i want to test my torpedo system, charging up the cameras.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Next hurdle to be taken was, making those bollards magnetic, and most important, make them work.

From a cell phone flipcover i recovered some very flat and small magnets, took the step to get them glued to the bollards, magnetic enough?, yep, i can lift a pair of tweezers with one bollard.

To test if this will work inside the sub i made a testframe which can hold the two bollards.

Another test to see if both pieces will stay into their positions, at least i knew at that moment i could work, next stage was building a construction which wasn't that flimsy as my prototype.

I decided to place a large piece of metal inside the hull, giving me more surface to glue and more magnetic grip.

Eureka!!!!, it works.

Both bollards at their up position, the only catch was, i had to make up the height difference, solved that by using some cutted styrene rods, still have to paint the metal plate inside the hull and do some paintwork on the magnets, when done, i'll close her up yet again, and will take the plunge of testing the torpedo system and some trimming.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• crazygary
    replied
    Excellent micro engineering, Manfred!!

Your cleverness never ceases to amaze!!

Thank you so much for doing what you do!!

I salute you, Sir!!

CG

Leave a comment:

replied
    That is sooo slick, Manfred. You are amazing, sir.

M

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Sorry David,

I didn't made it, she caught me on the run, the arms of She Who Must Be Obeyed are too long, i did try to hide myself on the attic, but she narrowed me into one corner, waving with the honeydo list, i was screwed.

Today she gave me a brake after a foltering working session, i decided to play around with the magnetic trigger mechanism, only thing to do was, tinkering the magnets to give me the right moment of launch.
    Made a short vid, which will be part of a longer session, this will be placed on youtube, enjoy

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Run!... save yourself!!!!

M

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Tom,

Time is not a issue, allready playing around for almost a year with the XXIII, so a few months more or less won't hurt, i get at least higher tempartures for the maiden trip.
    For now playing around with my magnetic bollard, allready made a mockup, which works promising, later in the week i'll post some new pics, have to dodge She Who Must Be Obeyed, whipping with her honeydo list, as far i'm concerned i've never posted this, i'm not here, whaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!, she spotted me !!!!!, gotta run!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    No matter how long it takes, it is always a learning experience from you. So, thank you!

Leave a comment:

Working...