Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Congratulations! Good torpedo shot! It looked like a perfect day for a run.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom,

It was a perfect day for the maidenrun, as usual i've got to make some more, but that's all in the game, at least i know she drives good, did my standard drill, also preformed a large 8 figure at some distance to see if there where weak spots in the range, as far i could observe no dead spot for receiving the signal.
      At least i´ve got me one torp launched, tomorrow some more testing on the bench, adjusting the ADF and plan another run for some underwater testing.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

You gotta love this guys, last evening i was playing around with the SD, and gravity got hold on it, arrrgh!!!!, frankly said, it rolled of the working bench.
        To my delight all three rods in front where bent 90 degrees, so replacing those will be a must, as far i can see no other damage to the SD, i also found out why my torpedo shutters didn't worked properly.
        Those little servos have a hard live under my regime, have to replace both, despite i steered them full out, i could push them back without much effort, i guess the motors inside are worn out, probably due to the endless testing of my tubes.
        The bright side is, ADF placed at the most sensitive mode, gonna fix those rods and can start all over again with another test drive, man!!!!, you gotta love this hobby!!!!!

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Thank God for Lexan!

Butter-fingers!!!!!!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Hah, butterfingers!?, you mean BUTTHEAD!!!!!!!

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
              Hah, butterfingers!?, you mean BUTTHEAD!!!!!!!

Manfred.
              Ha!

You should hear me when I drop something or over-strike on the mill ... very ugly! When I go off, Ellie simply locks the shop door and turns up the TV to drown me out.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                Commander
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Ha!

You should hear me when I drop something or over-strike on the mill ... very ugly! When I go off, Ellie simply locks the shop door and turns up the TV to drown me out.

M
                uhoh ... Someone swears like a sailor! 8)
                ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Made my second run today, still no dead spots in receiving the signal, so that's a winner, scope and snorkel in working order, yet another item down on the buckettlist.
                  As you can will see at the video, there are some problems in getting her to run level, first i checked if the connection to the dive rudders where OK, secondly i tested the ADF, both where in working order, managed to sqeeze out one almost good run.
                  Scooped up some water in the rear compartment, have to check up the connection for raising my stuff, i suspect the little LPB sucked some water in, despide i have a lipseal inside to prefent that, if needed i'll connect the hose directly to the inlet the old fashion way.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Evaluation time,

Serviced the SD by removing the waterdroplets and left it open to ventilate, frontpart was complete dry, as suspected the water inside came from the reverse switch which controls the scope and snorkel, have to test the connection with the lipseal or design a alternative.
                    As for the divingplanes, all connections are firm, i decided to take a closer look at the ADF, made a zero bubble calibration, this improved the swing of my divingplanes, i'll still keep it on highest sensitivity, because the last run at the video gave me good a impression how things work when adjusted good.
                    Still have issue's with the torpedohatches, opened up the hull to investicate, the rods didn't went smooth, added some lubrication with silicon oil, this improved a lot, don't need that much force to move the rods, i'm wondering if replacing those brass rods by carbon rods will improve it even more.
                    First i'll try the lubrication solution, it's quite easy to open up the front half of my boat, but doing this time after time will become a bit annoying, i tried to builded it low maintenance, not for opening it each time when i'm in trouble.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

I was simply stunned at how easily, in the field, you can unship that SD from the hull -- that radial split (and more involved, but very useful ability to split the forward and after halves) and magnetic coupling ... OF EVERYTHING!!! ... is simply brilliant.

Again, I want to extend to you my appreciation at how you conduct your WIP's: you chronicle your problems (and eventual solutions) with as much, if not more, gusto than you state your successes. We all learn so, so much more from your WIP's than the typical, sterile this-is-how-I-did-it-ain't-I-wonderful picture essays.

Man! You put so many neat practical features into your tiny, little boats! And they work so well.

... and for Christ's sake, eat a sandwich every now and then, will you?!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Yep, that radial split works fine, it takes a few seconds to get the SD in or out, and no tools needed !!!, making this work created some other problems that slowed me down, splitting both hulls when needed is the only concession that i had to make, it's not scale, but not a big deal to me.
                        Problems are there to be solved, either by yourself or with the help of others, don't like to bragg about my successes, for me it's better to show how much effort is needed to get a functional running sub, extra things inside is more or less a bonus.
                        Luckely i had She Who Must Be Obeyed who documented the bad and the ugly, it's most annoying to see me struggling to get this beast running, she did a nice job, i could evaluate the vids at home what went wrong, and went directly on the hunt to find the problems.
                        Took her apart this evening, solved the issue's with the divingrudders and launchtubes, she will be ready next week for another testrun, let's see if i can shoot some torpedoes.
                        As for eating, I'm constantly on a drip, much easier and faster then eating solid food, you have only one life!!!, make the most of it!!!

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Manfred, this is a brilliant build. I also enjoyed your run! Your creative building and ingenuity really raises the bar for us. Thank you!
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Does this mean Manfred's mode of access if better than the top hatch method?
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Does this mean Manfred's mode of access if better than the top hatch method?
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes.

Yes.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...