Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redboat219
    replied
    Might try David Welch's simplified version of yours...

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Romel, if you really want to go with the radial approach, be really prepared for this journey, even for me it wasn't easy, i know it looks easy when finished, but it took a hell of a effort to get there.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Okey. Will go with that route when it comes to building mine. Beats the hassle of cutting open the hull and dressing up the edges of the cut.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Tom,
    Each time that i run this baby i'm tuning in on her, hope to get it the third run right, as you stated before, when running right it's a easy boat to handle, that pitchdown issue from David has nothing to do with the model itself, i did made some full power passes underwater, not a glitch, on the other hand she is responsive on the diveplanes, much more then my other models.
    I suspect David's problem has something to do with the ADF settings, last evening i did a zero bubble calibration, i know for sure i did this the first time right, there was a major difference when i did it last evening, my guess about 4 degrees nose down difference, i've had nothing changed inside the SD near the ADF, for a submarine that's huge.
    So, applying full throttle will give you the nose down effect, the ADF can't correct this steep angle by compensating, ending up in a pitch down event.

Romel,

I have no idea if this a better way, it suited me the best, cutting at the waterline or Z cut will always be done, this way you have easy access to the SD, i took a gamble on the radial approach with in mind no tools needed, to make this commercially will be a complete other ball game, it's far to complicated for easy building, i like the challence to make it work, getting the benefit of extracting your SD without much hassle is a nice bonus.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Yes.

Yes.

M

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Does this mean Manfred's mode of access if better than the top hatch method?

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Does this mean Manfred's mode of access if better than the top hatch method?

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Manfred, this is a brilliant build. I also enjoyed your run! Your creative building and ingenuity really raises the bar for us. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Yep, that radial split works fine, it takes a few seconds to get the SD in or out, and no tools needed !!!, making this work created some other problems that slowed me down, splitting both hulls when needed is the only concession that i had to make, it's not scale, but not a big deal to me.
    Problems are there to be solved, either by yourself or with the help of others, don't like to bragg about my successes, for me it's better to show how much effort is needed to get a functional running sub, extra things inside is more or less a bonus.
    Luckely i had She Who Must Be Obeyed who documented the bad and the ugly, it's most annoying to see me struggling to get this beast running, she did a nice job, i could evaluate the vids at home what went wrong, and went directly on the hunt to find the problems.
    Took her apart this evening, solved the issue's with the divingrudders and launchtubes, she will be ready next week for another testrun, let's see if i can shoot some torpedoes.
    As for eating, I'm constantly on a drip, much easier and faster then eating solid food, you have only one life!!!, make the most of it!!!

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I was simply stunned at how easily, in the field, you can unship that SD from the hull -- that radial split (and more involved, but very useful ability to split the forward and after halves) and magnetic coupling ... OF EVERYTHING!!! ... is simply brilliant.

Again, I want to extend to you my appreciation at how you conduct your WIP's: you chronicle your problems (and eventual solutions) with as much, if not more, gusto than you state your successes. We all learn so, so much more from your WIP's than the typical, sterile this-is-how-I-did-it-ain't-I-wonderful picture essays.

Man! You put so many neat practical features into your tiny, little boats! And they work so well.

... and for Christ's sake, eat a sandwich every now and then, will you?!

M

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Evaluation time,

Serviced the SD by removing the waterdroplets and left it open to ventilate, frontpart was complete dry, as suspected the water inside came from the reverse switch which controls the scope and snorkel, have to test the connection with the lipseal or design a alternative.
    As for the divingplanes, all connections are firm, i decided to take a closer look at the ADF, made a zero bubble calibration, this improved the swing of my divingplanes, i'll still keep it on highest sensitivity, because the last run at the video gave me good a impression how things work when adjusted good.
    Still have issue's with the torpedohatches, opened up the hull to investicate, the rods didn't went smooth, added some lubrication with silicon oil, this improved a lot, don't need that much force to move the rods, i'm wondering if replacing those brass rods by carbon rods will improve it even more.
    First i'll try the lubrication solution, it's quite easy to open up the front half of my boat, but doing this time after time will become a bit annoying, i tried to builded it low maintenance, not for opening it each time when i'm in trouble.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Made my second run today, still no dead spots in receiving the signal, so that's a winner, scope and snorkel in working order, yet another item down on the buckettlist.
    As you can will see at the video, there are some problems in getting her to run level, first i checked if the connection to the dive rudders where OK, secondly i tested the ADF, both where in working order, managed to sqeeze out one almost good run.
    Scooped up some water in the rear compartment, have to check up the connection for raising my stuff, i suspect the little LPB sucked some water in, despide i have a lipseal inside to prefent that, if needed i'll connect the hose directly to the inlet the old fashion way.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• matthewnimmo
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Ha!

You should hear me when I drop something or over-strike on the mill ... very ugly! When I go off, Ellie simply locks the shop door and turns up the TV to drown me out.

M
    uhoh ... Someone swears like a sailor! 8)

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by MFR1964
    Hah, butterfingers!?, you mean BUTTHEAD!!!!!!!

Manfred.
    Ha!

You should hear me when I drop something or over-strike on the mill ... very ugly! When I go off, Ellie simply locks the shop door and turns up the TV to drown me out.

M

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Hah, butterfingers!?, you mean BUTTHEAD!!!!!!!

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

Working...