Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Unless your skydiver requires the jets to sit above the waterline then I don't see the advantage in a waterjet over a normal ducted prop arrangement. After all waterjets are optimised for sucking up water and squirting it out the back into air. Something that doesn't happen very much on a sub!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

True, but as model builders, most of us will try anything at least once.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCnut
        Commander
        • Apr 2012

As I understand it, A water jet works best when the jet is pushing against air, Not so efficent Under water. After testing the smaller stingray with a Graupner Mini jet and Seeing it go under water and then shoot up again I dont think the power loss was that bad (But im not an expert) Its about half the push, Then again Do I want to be doing Rate 6 under water, lol.

Right, The Graupner 40mm jet will not fit the Stingray and allow you to install a Big enough WTC. So I have gone with the Kehere 28mm jet. It will be powered By a brushless motor same as Skydiver. I'm Looking at this one as a kind of Test bed, when David has done his stuff I'll hopefully do another. I have thought of a way to make the ratemaster spin and I'm reasonably confident it will work. The jet has been installed in the conventional way as it was in a pretty poor state (Having been ripped out of another model, Skydiver) the other will be winging its way to the US in a couple of days. I will take pictures tommorow and post.

Comment

• RCnut
          Commander
          • Apr 2012

Oh and the other reason I didnt want to use the 40mm one was that the intake would interfear with the big Stingray logo unerneath. Sad I know but hey!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCnut
            As I understand it, A water jet works best when the jet is pushing against air, Not so efficent Under water. After testing the smaller stingray with a Graupner Mini jet and Seeing it go under water and then shoot up again I dont think the power loss was that bad (But im not an expert) Its about half the push, Then again Do I want to be doing Rate 6 under water, lol.

Right, The Graupner 40mm jet will not fit the Stingray and allow you to install a Big enough WTC. So I have gone with the Kehere 28mm jet. It will be powered By a brushless motor same as Skydiver. I'm Looking at this one as a kind of Test bed, when David has done his stuff I'll hopefully do another. I have thought of a way to make the ratemaster spin and I'm reasonably confident it will work. The jet has been installed in the conventional way as it was in a pretty poor state (Having been ripped out of another model, Skydiver) the other will be winging its way to the US in a couple of days. I will take pictures tommorow and post.
            Standing by.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RCnut
              After testing the smaller stingray with a Graupner Mini jet and Seeing it go under water and then shoot up again I dont think the power loss was that bad (But im not an expert) Its about half the push, Then again Do I want to be doing Rate 6 under water, lol.
              The point I was trying to get across is that for a boat with submerged propulsors you don't need the space hogging scoops used in waterjets. If you cut the front half off a waterjet you have a shrouded prop with some fixed pre-swirl stators. If you're running a boat on the surface with the impellors above the waterline, then clearly you have got to have scoops, else they will never get to see any water!

Comment

• RCnut
                Commander
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Subculture
                The point I was trying to get across is that for a boat with submerged propulsors you don't need the space hogging scoops used in waterjets. If you cut the front half off a waterjet you have a shrouded prop with some fixed pre-swirl stators. If you're running a boat on the surface with the impellors above the waterline, then clearly you have got to have scoops, else they will never get to see any water!
                Oh, lol..... I'm with you now, I totally misunderstood what you were refering to. In my head it was a normal prop in a shroud (Kortish).

Comment

• RCnut
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2012

Ok as you can see Its a bit of a hodgpoge but it will serve its purpose, Its a bit further on than this and tomorrow I will see if I can make the ratemaster spin.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ah!... you sneaky so-and-so: your going to put some vanes on the inside of the RatMaster that will act as turbine blades to set the door-knob in motion when impinged on by the PJ flow. You're amazing, sir.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2012

Sorry David....Not going to do it that way, although that method was put forward by My Good lady and a few people. All will be revealed (If it works)
                      Last edited by RCnut; 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

GRRrrrrrrr!
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2012

As promised.

Studio2models Stingray kit, 1st testing of the spinning Ratemaster.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Slick!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I am the slow one here......what does the spinning door knob do? Does it help stabilize the sub?
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCnut
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                Slick!

David
                                Thanks David

Comment

Working...