Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCnut
    Commander
    • Apr 2012

I will have to make one up for you, but I hadnt planned to make up a flange fixing to the bottom of the hull, I will do that now. The intake is a copy of the Graupner one But as it sits it will be too high. So its going to need cutting and re seating. I will have a better idea tommorow when the jet gets here. I can make the thickness a bit thinner or thicker depending on how many layers I put down. More info and pictures tommorow.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

It's my intention -- with your permission, of course -- to put to one side of the PJ inlet piece (which, when the work is complete, will become a master form which tooling and resin parts will be produced) a servo operated slide or barrel valve that will take a suction on the hulls interior for de-watering purposes.

Wait till you build up that foundation (make it at least 1/8" thick), then build a flange perimeter around the bottom (where it attaches to the foundation) of your GRP inlet piece. Size everything so the outlet of the PJ is in line with your RateMaster centerline. The objective here is to make the entire PJ unit removable from your hull.

Instead of glassing the eventual cast resin valve equipped PJ inlet piece to the bottom of the hull, we'll secure it with an array of small machine screws -- those screws fitting taped holes in the foundation piece. This gives us the opportunity to remove the entire PJ unit for alteration, adjustment or repair. I recommend you build in the same foundation set-up within the hull of that great looking SKY-DIVER of yours. Those two PJ's can be used to de-water that massive hull as well.

I'll produce all the PJ inlet pieces you desire. With a common piece like this you simply build up the foundations of a specific model submarine to a height that will put the PJ centerline on or close to that of the vehicles nozzle(s).

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	68128Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0074.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	68129Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0066.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	68130Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0075.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	68131Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	68132Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	68133Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	68134Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	68135
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
        Commander
        • Apr 2012

Tell me what you think of this, I have the original parts that are supplied with the 2340 jet drive (See Pic) Would it not make sense to send you a set of those as opposed to a rough set of mine which are direct (Interior Copys), all I did was fill the two halfs with silicon rubber and pour Resin and Matt over them. They are more accurate as a starting point and a lot cleaner, Just a bit thin lol.
        Attached Files

Comment

• RCnut
          Commander
          • Apr 2012

I just had a thought, As my lay up thickness can vary, how about a custom made plate that I will lay in place and it would be embedded into the bottom hull. with indications for the screw fixings for the jet? I'll make it up tommorow and take some pics. If you like it then I will cast one up and send both items. In fact I will Do that and set the angle on the jet to make sure it all lines up. What do you think?

Comment

• RCnut
            Commander
            • Apr 2012

Really rough sketch Open it up in paint and zoom in, lol.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCnut
              Tell me what you think of this, I have the original parts that are supplied with the 2340 jet drive (See Pic) Would it not make sense to send you a set of those as opposed to a rough set of mine which are direct (Interior Copys), all I did was fill the two halfs with silicon rubber and pour Resin and Matt over them. They are more accurate as a starting point and a lot cleaner, Just a bit thin lol.
              That would be perfect!

I would not increase the units height off the deck, only widen the foot-print of its flange where it meets the deck by the inclusion of a flange of increased height and width to take the fastening screws that holds the production unit onto the deck.

And there would be no copyright infringement -- I will vastly change the units configuration AND function.

When done converting the vacuformed Graupner intake piece to our special use, I'll use it as a master, make tools, and from those the cast resin parts required by you and others. Provision will be made for a inclusion of an Oilite bearing to support the forward end of the rotor shaft.

Once all is done I return the modified piece (now a production master) and tooling to you for further production of these PJ intake parts.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I just had a thought, As my lay up thickness can vary, how about a custom made plate that I will lay in place and it would be embedded into the bottom hull. with indications for the screw fixings for the jet? I'll make it up tommorow and take some pics. If you like it then I will cast one up and send both items. In fact I will Do that and set the angle on the jet to make sure it all lines up. What do you think?
                Perfect!

What are you .... some kind of Model Builder?!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Really rough sketch Open it up in paint and zoom in, lol.
                  COULD YOU POSSIBLY MAKE THAT DRAWING ANY SMALLER!!!???.....

Perfect. Radius the corners a bit and we're in business.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    COULD YOU POSSIBLY MAKE THAT DRAWING ANY SMALLER!!!???.....

Perfect. Radius the corners a bit and we're in business.
                    Lol Its Only Window paint.

Comment

• RCnut
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2012

This is not going to plan. 2 reasons. This Jet is way to long and will interfear with the Stingray logo underneath. The other reason is the flange that holds the impeller housings is a shade smaller then the ID of the Ratemaster. The other thing is its using way to much length and will compramise the size of any WTC that will go in there. I'm thinking its time to go the Kehere Jet way. There a bit smaller but will push just as hard. I'm going to send you an old kehere and the Graupner intake and see what you think. Here are some pics, the black jet is a Kehere.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

I understand -- we're both involved in some 'organic', on the fly engineering here. Fine, send both examples, but work up a hull foundation plate for each. We'll make something work here.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Mamas, can you give me some dimensions on the Kehere? Like overall length, battery voltage, motor size , etc.
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Full details of the Kehrer range on their website- http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?op...id=4&Itemid=17

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Thanks Subculture.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

I checked out that site on the jet drives. The smallest one that they make is the 28mm which is made for a 700 size motor. All well and good but an effort will have to be made to waterproof the motor if its going to be made to submerge as these are made for ships and boats. For my 36" Skydiver, they would be way too big to fit inside its small confines.

Comment

Working...