X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCnut
    Commander
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Yeah, had to make a parting mold-board as I was dealing with a full-up hull casting. Great minds think alike. You're already deep into the rubber end of things. Wow. I better get hot on that PJ valve I bragged about above ...

David
    Yep, lol. Well if all goes to plan and my fibreglass resing gets here tommorow I can see me doing a pull sooner than the weekend. Phew!

Comment

• RCnut
      Commander
      • Apr 2012

Well as it turns out my fibreglass was with my good neighbour so I'm in business lol. Rubbers all on and just letting it go off and do the jackets tommorrow morning, Good thing I'm on holiday.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Do you use Epoxy or Polyester resin?

Comment

• RCnut
          Commander
          • Apr 2012

Polyester resin mix with some polyester filler to give it body, then Fibreglass matting to give strength, I prefer this over Gel coat as it weathers the knocks better than Gelcoat and dosnt crack a few years on. Just my own opinion you understand.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I haven't heard of that technique before. It's not generally recommended to use gelcoat in rubber tools anyway. I've not seen a reason given but I would guess that shrinkage of the resin as it cures results in the resin moving away from the rubber tool, and as the resin is air inhibited it wouldn't fully cure. So they tend to recommend mixing a thixo additive e.g colloidal silica with normal lay-up resin and using that instead.

Comment

• RCnut
              Commander
              • Apr 2012

Ahh well, Your knowledge on this is way over and above my own. I did try Gelcoat in a rubber mould a few years back and it came out very tacky so never did that one again. lol.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

I've done a lot of lay-up work and I too shy away from commercial gel-coat blends. My first layer in a lay-up is catalyzed resin, neat. I keep it from doing the fish-eye trick by making my last layer of mold release PVC, which has the texture to prevent such pooling of the resin as it cures hard. I then thicken up the next layer of resin a bit, to radius the hard-edges in the cavity, and eventually graduate with light weight, then heavier layers of glass cloth.

However, I'll tint the first layer of resin so I can see things better. Look over the 212 threads by Chris and Manfred and you'll see the blue tint I put into those GRP hulls.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RCnut
                  Ahh well, Your knowledge on this is way over and above my own. I did try Gelcoat in a rubber mould a few years back and it came out very tacky so never did that one again. lol.
                  No not at all- always done hard shell tools up until now for hulls, but have a master to mould in rubber, but I am going to lay that up in epoxy resin not polyester. Side steps the issue altogether, plus you get a very strong cast, and the pot life is longer.

Comment

• RCnut
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2012

Whilst waiting for the rubber to go off I thought I'd do a cast of the Ratemaster and lets face it the whole model depends on this being nice and clear. So it is with great joy that I can say its come out dam well, no stickiness and virtually no shrinkage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Looks great. What clear casting resin did you use, a polyurethane or Polyester base?

Comment

• RCnut
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2012

Polyester, and dispite warnings of doom and not ever going off and such I poured it last night and demoulded it this morning. Quite chuffed (Happy) really.

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Only polyester gelcoat resin that doesn't go off in rubber tools. Is it the bonda brand you've used?

Comment

• RCnut
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2012

Nope, its by Polycraft, (Polylite) Got me a tad worried at first, Was green in colour then went clear. lol.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I looked that up, and saw it's acrylic modified, which sounds good. I've used acrylic modified glues and they're incredibly tough. Do you know if you can you polish this stuff if it gets scratched?

Comment

• RCnut
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2012

No Idea yet, I will have a go and see what I can do to it, but your right it does seem to be really tough.

Comment

Working...