Type 212

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Holy-smokes, Manfred ... you just keep pouring on the details! And I'm very much looking forward to the in-water torpedo trials.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

It's keeping a man busy David,

And now for my report on the outdoor trails of the torpedo's, today i did some testruns, blimey!, they are hard to catch on video, compared to my electric one's they are tiny in the water.
      Some specs i got from the trials, did several shots and got me a marker at about 8 meters, recalculated that would mean 24 feet, so you were right at the weight thrust ratio, the butane produces less power, on the other hand you get a civilised launch which can be easely followed.
      I made some vids, but the launch itself is hardly to see, because i decided to get the videoshot from far away, i hoped to record the track of the torpedo but it slightly turned to the left out of sight.
      I'll edit the vids and will post them later, be patient.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Edited the video and uploaded it, it's still hard to see, in the first clip after the title torpedolaunch you can see one torpedo running out of sight, from my stand of view it went out the tube controlled, speedy but not too speedy.
        It certainly invites to make some more vid's in the future, unfortunally the tempartures are dropping over here, so it will be spring next year to get me some better footage, even better would be a swimmingpool inside, this way i can follow the complete launch.
        It also gave me the oppertunity to get some running time on the 212, gave it up after half a hour because of the temparture, i've got to be patient for next time.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

I see a definite disadvantage as to having the charging tubes shortened, you need needle nose pliers to hold the charging valve. Maybe you could attach the charging valves to the side of the bow and make them look like regular fittings on the boat.

The brass fill valves used in gas powered BB guns are threaded so mounting them would be easy. As for your plastic valves maybe you could make a bracket to hold them.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Romel,

You need to use the pliers against frost bite, when charging the torpedo it will cool down, you can see that at the filling nipple, it is turning white, because it is starting to freeze.

Making a fixed position for the filling nipple is a bit tricky, because you have a sliding action from the breechblock, the hose itself is not that flexible that it can freely move without obstructing the breechblock.

For now i keep it simple, just following the instructions from David's cabalreport about the torpedosystem and how to manage it, i did change something in the procedure, lubing the outlet of the torpedo with some vaseline, this way i don't need that much force to launch them on my front servos.
            I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

That last point well taken. I'll add it to the instructions. Thanks Manfred.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Those torpedoes were designed to travel straight and true. Any ideas why yours veered off to the left after launch?
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                  Those torpedoes were designed to travel straight and true. Any ideas why yours veered off to the left after launch?
                  When the weapon slows down it stops rotating, and the canted fins in the water (to spin the weapon through much of its travel) becomes rudders and the torpedo starts to circle.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Today i wanted to clean all memorycards i have, and found these pics, some i've used at youtube.

Here i'm lubing the rear ends of the torpedo's with some vaseline, this way the breechblock don't have to use so much force to release the torpedo, and offcourse a lesser load on your servo

Loading the torpedo into the tube prior to fill it up with liquid gas.

I personally think this is the best one, i made it my screensaver on my laptop, i wished she allready had her finalpaint job.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Beautiful, Manfred. Ready for Patrol!
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Thanks David,

Technically she is as ready as can be, i still have to add some items which i've discovered on the pictures which Mark has put online, i hope to get the same picture when fully dressed in the right colour, or maybe she will stay this colour, easy to spot when underwater, what do you guys say?

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

No brainer, Manfred.

PAINT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Yes Master, bow, bow, carefully walking backwarts.
                            I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL..................
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

You guys remembered the light issue, well, i've decided to give it a second try, this boat is not complete with some lights, and i found a solution for my optic cables, at the first try they where too stiff and heavy.
                                I removed the protective outside of the optic fiber, giving me more flexibility and lesser weight, for now i did some testing, pictures.

I had some problems with the amount of light leaving at the end, solved this by heating the end up, bending it 90 degree before cutting and created a kind of lens by heating them with a cigarette lighter.
                                This trick gives you a much better lightsource at the end of your fiber, another lesson learnt.

As you can see at this picture the light at the top of the sail is not yet bright enough, i want to make a experiment with a single bright white led just for this light, now i'm feeding all three white lights with one bright white led, there is still some cavework to do.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...