X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Type 212

I'm not sure if i will manage this, but she is adopted as a side project to the type XVII, i couldn't resist it, since most of the work is done by HWSNBN.

First i compared her to my type V80, yeah, she is small, the type V80 is about 1 mtr, and she is my smallest sub that can dive.

I think it's possible to give this little boat a pair of claws, made some brass tubing for the future torpedosystem.

Only question i have for David is, will this give trouble for the final position of the WTC, seen the fact you will alter the CG shoving the WTC backwards.

Greetings Manfred.
    I went underground
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You Nut!

Obviously you don't share Norbert's opinion about torpedo capable r/c model submarines and the charactor of those who drive them!

No, no problem with shoving the SD back to suite the torpedo tubes, Manfred. You will put the C.G. and C.B. just aft of the sails trailing edge. You compensate for the shifting c.b. (the ballast tank well aft of the C.B. location) with carefully positioned hunks of foam placed below and above the waterline. A flexibility of ballast tank longitudinal placement (to suite requirements like your torpedo tubes) not enjoyed by the fixed in place dry-compartment approach.

I've got some developmental gas-powered 1/96 torpedoes sitting here not doing anything lethal. You want a few to play with? Or, are you going to employ an electric motor system into those tiny things?

I'm very jazzed about this -- our SD and kit in your hands. Break out the pop-corn, gonna be a fun show.

Jeezus ... listen to me: I'm kissing your ass already.

I'm such a whore!

Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	66555

Name:	DSCN0067.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	66556

Name:	DSCN0083.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	66558
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

OK then, it's a go on the tubes, kissing my ass won't speed up the proces, i get distracted, so it will take ages to finish this model.

Electric one's?, it would be a challenge, have to think about that, if you can miss some gastorps to play with, it would be welcome, by the way, looking at this small WTC gives me the creeps, used to big dry compartments
      I thought you guys at the USA always think big, and no popcorn for you, just nutricias and healty musli.

Greetings Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Reckless
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by MFR1964
        and no popcorn for you, just nutricias and healty musli.

Greetings Manfred.

Dems Fightin words! extended modeling pliers at 5 paces, turn and pinch!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
          OK then, it's a go on the tubes, kissing my ass won't speed up the proces, i get distracted, so it will take ages to finish this model.

Electric one's?, it would be a challenge, have to think about that, if you can miss some gastorps to play with, it would be welcome, by the way, looking at this small WTC gives me the creeps, used to big dry compartments
          I thought you guys at the USA always think big, and no popcorn for you, just nutricias and healty musli.

Greetings Manfred.

Manfred,

Hey, when it's done, it's done. I'm with you on the, 'getting distracted' part. Mike is forever beating me up for not staying on-point with assignments. (I would rather die than admit he's right).

Sure, I would be delighted to send some gas propelled weapons (in a slow, friendly manner) your way, Manfred. Send me your mailing address and I'll fix you up. Here's my e-mail: dmeriman@aol.com.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

This evening i started building up the SD, took me 1 hour to finish it up, looked at some pics on the forum and copied that to the SD.
            I thought there was a manual for the kit form SD, pics say enough to me, it's simple and rugged designed, little bit small and you need some fiddling getting the gascontainer in, certainly have to got some long pliers or very tiny fingers.
            Results sofar:

The complete dryfitt of the SD, don't mind the batteries, just used them for fitting to see which room i've got left.

I was thinking about the SAS floater for smaller models, and came up with this prototype, using floating body can mean, small and high or flat with more width, this allows you to poke the inlet inside your tower and leave the floatingbody low.

The underneath of the floatingbody is curved by using sandingpaper, used the SD diameter as a mold, don't know if this will be a proper solution, but i allways try to keeps things simple.

Greetings Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• bassplayer1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2010

I see you couldn't keep your hands off this little beauty and started allready working on it Manfred!!! Keep it up!!! I like the idea with the torpedos, it will be a challenge in this scale!

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Thanks Yannis,

Due to the size, ready kitparts and used SD it's not a lot of work, started it up and will turn my major attention back to the type XVII, just like you wrote, the torpedosystem will be a challenge, it all so cramped up inside.
                Have some idea's of changing the internals of the SD, have to boggle the brains for that, with this size of subs it's amazing how many stuff fitts inside.
                Gotta love micro servo's and micro ESC, those guys who made and designed that deserve a seat in heaven.

Greetings Manfred
                I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hat's off to the Chinese for the servoes. The Brit's (Mtroniks) for the ESC. and Kevin McLeod for the small fail-safe-angle-keeper unit (ADF-2) we recommend for these tiny SD's. And those little, super-selective receivers Aroosh makes, the Sombra Labs SL-6 -- perfect for the smaller SD's as well.

I'm watching you, Manfred! Love the snorkle -- I'm taking notes as you march on with this.

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
                    Commander
                    • May 2010

Hi Manfred, I have my eyes looking your way as well. Very interesting

Cheers Chris

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

woot! small boat SAS ... nice Manfred. can you feel all the eyes on you....

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                        woot! small boat SAS ... nice Manfred. can you feel all the eyes on you....
                        Me too. I want to put one on my Kilo someday.

Great idea of putting the float body under the deck and not in the tight confines of sail (as I had planned on doing). Now the only thing in there is the snorkel mast.
                        This set-up will fit under the square deck of the Kilo nicely.

Can you post close up photos of your snorkel mast.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Scott T
                          Commander
                          • May 2009

Valve looks great. Here is a Rube Goldberg sketch.
                          I could not figure out how to use a candle burning
                          through a string to activate the valve underwater.

Scott T

Name:	another valve.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	66587

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Wow Scott,

That drawing looks even to me complicated, seen the fact there is a lot of stuff using hinges, there is also a great chance that it will get stuck.

On request, the close ups.

Side view of the snorkel tube.

Top view of the snorkel tube.

Right side view from the hinge.

Left side view of the hinge.

Since this is a prototype i still have to fiddle with this construction, the used material is too thin and will bent easely, have to replace it for some thicker copper.
                            The first step was to make a construction to see if the principle can work, now it's refining the construction, allready some idea's about altering the hinge part to be more rugged.

Removed the flash and cutted the rearpart to fit the X tail, lined her up by looking at the panellines, fixaded her with some tape.

A total view of this zippy sub, it's fun to build, reminds me of the past when i builded modell kit airplanes.

Greetings Manfred.
                            Last edited by MFR1964; 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM.
                            I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Wow! thanks Manfred.
                              Have you conducted in-water testing of the float mechanism already?

Can't wait to see your version of the internal float valve. Kinda tight inside that 2" SD.
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...