Type 212

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

That was fun to watch! I re-wound and studied the surface and u/w shots for a good ten-mintues. Simply wonderful footage. Now for 'at-sea' trials of the boat and weapons. Top notch stuff, Manfred.

Can't wait till Mike finds a source for the charge fittings.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Thanks David,

It finally pays off, now re balance the boat and get me some submerged shooting inside the bath, very curious how she will behave with the reworked tubes, i want to see how fast she will regain her balance after shooting.
      I like this vid the most, because i used a different angle with the underwater cam, head on shots don't reveal the leaving of the torpedo that well.
      If we're lucky the charge fittings come from China, Mike is allready there, he could bring some to build up your stock.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes, a very good study of actual torpedo performance at moment of launch. The bobbing of the hull at launch indicates a very, very quick venting off of the gas bubble that must fill the bow at time-of-launch.

I was getting 60-foot range with the propellant I was using, when you're in open water, see what kind of range your Butane produces, please.

Mike has been active with his laptop while over there, I'm sure he's on the hunt for a good source. Can't wait to get a fist full of those valves, I want to evaluate the Butane propellant from launchers aboard the 1/72 SKIPJACK. Six tubes -- if there's a trim problem with the new gas, this will identify it!

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	73272Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	73273Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	73274Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	73275
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

David,

The bobbing i also noticed, but compared to my first shots it has become less, must be the shorted hoses, if she vents the tubes quickly through the deck and tower i'll be pleased, hanging still on the peroscopes is not the ideal situation, i suspect she will vent even faster when under speed.

If i recalulate your 60 foot to metric, it will be around 18 meters, i'll keep a eye on that, and report back with the maximum range they will run.

Wow, that's what you can call a nest of tubes, reminds me more to a russian rocket organ, i'll presume you will launch them electric?

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
            David,

The bobbing i also noticed, but compared to my first shots it has become less, must be the shorted hoses, if she vents the tubes quickly through the deck and tower i'll be pleased, hanging still on the peroscopes is not the ideal situation, i suspect she will vent even faster when under speed.

If i recalulate your 60 foot to metric, it will be around 18 meters, i'll keep a eye on that, and report back with the maximum range they will run.

Wow, that's what you can call a nest of tubes, reminds me more to a russian rocket organ, i'll presume you will launch them electric?

Manfred.

Yes, the bobbing frequency is very quick, denoting a quick departure of the gas bubbles. Now, ANY weight difference between charged weapon and flooded tube will manifest themselves in such a small boat -- I'll be very interested into your findings as to what the boats trim is before and after launching of the two weapons.

And the weapon range difference between my propellant (Paasche air-brush propellant) and your Butane fueled weapons -- something I need to know so I can amend the instructions and advertising copy.

No, mechanical launching mechanism, Manfred (you love this stuff!). I'm going to make a clock-work escapement like the other six-tube launcher pictured next to the SKIPJACK nest. One servo pulls a ratchet, that drives a gear train that in turn rotates cams to engage the launch shuttles.

Rube Goldberg would be proud of us both!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

David,

Theoretical she should be in perfect balance after shooting the torpedo's and venting the gas, since most of the time i won't use the torps she will be trimmed level with empty tubes and fired breechblocks.
              Just like you i'm eager to know what she will do with loaded torpedo's, with this size submarine she can indeed be off balance very quickly, my type VII has a special device for balancing the boat during the launch of my electric torpedo's, don't have this posibility inside this small boat.

The difference between both our propellants will show during open water testing, my guess, i'll have a go within two weeks, maybe sooner depending on the submerged testing inside the bath.

Can you send me some pics by mail about your mechanical multi launcher?, love to see it close, I, like you have a soft spot for mechanical stuff and love to spy.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                David,

Theoretical she should be in perfect balance after shooting the torpedo's and venting the gas, since most of the time i won't use the torps she will be trimmed level with empty tubes and fired breechblocks.
                Just like you i'm eager to know what she will do with loaded torpedo's, with this size submarine she can indeed be off balance very quickly, my type VII has a special device for balancing the boat during the launch of my electric torpedo's, don't have this posibility inside this small boat.

The difference between both our propellants will show during open water testing, my guess, i'll have a go within two weeks, maybe sooner depending on the submerged testing inside the bath.

Can you send me some pics by mail about your mechanical multi launcher?, love to see it close, I, like you have a soft spot for mechanical stuff and love to spy.

Manfred.
                the mechanism used to sequence the launching of six torpedoes -- I use this one aboard my Revell 1/72 GATO

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	73318Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0018.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	73319Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0021.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	73320Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0022.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	73321Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0026.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	73322Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0027.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	73323Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0005.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	73324Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	73325Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	73326Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	73327Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	73328Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	73329Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	73330Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	73331Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	73332Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	73333Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	73334Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	73335Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	73336Click image for larger version

Name:	047.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	73337Click image for larger version

Name:	048.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	73338Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	73339Click image for larger version

Name:	055.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	73340Click image for larger version

Name:	056.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	73341Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	73342Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	73343Click image for larger version

Name:	058.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	73344Click image for larger version

Name:	059.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	73345Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	73346Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	73347
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Yummy.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL. I knew you would appreciate all that gadgetry!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Manfred,
                      Can you show that 'special balancing device" you got in your Type VII.

David,
                      Looking at all those charging hoses behind the launcher, wouldn't it be easier if there was only one common charging port for all the tubes. You could then place a small stopcock like this at the breech block end.

It's called a Luer Lock Stopcock and it's used to connect IV lines.

This way you can choose which individual tubes you only want to fire.
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                        Manfred,
                        Can you show that 'special balancing device" you got in your Type VII.

David,
                        Looking at all those charging hoses behind the launcher, wouldn't it be easier if there was only one common charging port for all the tubes. You could then place a small stopcock like this at the breech block end.

It's called a Luer Lock Stopcock and it's used to connect IV lines.

This way you can choose which individual tubes you only want to fire.
                        Problem with the scheme is the need to quick-charge, vent, then re-charge the weapon to get a complete fill. Also, each branch would need a check-valve to prevent loss of liquefied gas when an adjacent branch opens up (launched weapon). Too much expensive plumbing. The Luer Lock Stopcock you showed (nice!) how will it hold up in a rich hydrocarbon environment?
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Now that you mentioned it, we do need to put in check valves.

AFAIK they're made of polycarbonate.

They also come in 3-way valve manifold configuration.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hmmmmm......
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Okay, she's trimmed now, this evening i decided to try some shooting, well, the result wasn't something i would expect, i directly aborted my actions, and NO, this won't be posted at youtube, i have a ego to think about.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

You're lucky I have not yet figured out how to post stuff to youtube! Imagine, if you will, the text I would have pasted below that little video presentation!

Before looking at the video I read your disclaimer and began to fear the worst; what were you talking about? Some terrible explosion, a broaching weapon killing the cat, or disruption of the space-time-continuum. Imagine my relief when I see it's a simple hang-fire. Whew!

You might have to close up the breech-end of those tubes?

If this was so damned easy, everyone would be doing it.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...