Continuing/finishing (?) a Revell 1/72 type VIIC from another user

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Yeah. Was that servo fried from the inside or from the outside. That's the big question. And look for any insulation charing on one or more of the three-wires that make up the servo lead.

A thought: You're not using an old AirTronics receiver in there, are you?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

okay... I haven't been on my laurels or asleep at the switch... just haven't been able to get back online for pictures and such..

Dave.. nope SL8 (you reprogrammed it to your freq when you had the SD for a rebuild)

onto the pictures...

the pinion on the servo motor is that little blob on the edge of the bigger gear

no visible scorching, melting...etc ...

the board reaks of burnt, the motor not so much... but as above no visible melting, scorching, arcing... nothin...

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK ... the case got hot around the motor. Pop the back-plate off that sucker, and look at the brushes. Are they melted?
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

the servo's motor itself was/is fine.... (infact it'll probably end up on a CCG rigid hull inflate I've got sitting on the side for rotating radar)

I haven't had any time to get back to the SD to reinstall the new servo.. and I've tried it in my head a couple times... frankly getting that ******* in there proper is gonna be a PITA (you've seen the pic.. i've got big ole beat up mechanic ham fists)

Comment

• Aug 2008

A loooonnnnng screwdriver and looonnnng hemostat does it for me. CA the screw head to the screw-driver tip makes life a lot easier.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2012

Dave... I have a really stupid question.... can the LPB pump run in reverse? aka pump air in.. pump air out.. just thinking (maybe over thinking to simplify my specific needs/issues) .. that I've already somehow figured out how to grenade the gas system, and mysteriously melt a servo... maybe just ridding my SD of that whole system and putting a mini pump controller in would work better for me.

I already found out that the LPB pump will sink the sub rather well when I got my hoses backwards.. and give a little visual indicator the tank is full (although on mine it would be an unrealistic spurt of water out the periscope LOL )

would also allow me to move the snort manifold to a better location to get under the tower and I won't have to have the subs deck lifted a little to clear it

Comment

• Aug 2008

No, sorry. It's a positive displacement diaphragm pump -- fluid moves the same direction, regardless of moto-pump direction. Hang in there, the SAS conversion packages will be available soon. The pump and servo remains as is, the retro-fit will be an easy matter.

For some reason I can't post pictures here -- trying to fix that. Want to show you what I did to convert my Type-7 and GATO to SAS. Easy.

Hey! Keep thinking outside the box. I do. Many a wrong turn, but we eventually stumble onto a practical solution to a problem.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                  can the LPB pump run in reverse? aka pump air in.. pump air out..
                  try looking for Oztruck's 1/72 I-25 conversion. http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...I-I-25-in-1-72.

He used 2 LPBs, one to blow ballast via snort, one to vent the tank.
                  Last edited by redboat219; 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

that's entirely possible too.. I'll have the space for it loosing that servo... both would basically be on the same channel just either side of it but to make it worthwhile and not over complicating I'd have to be able to use the existing manifolds and tubing...

can the caswell LPB pumps pump through each other? or does the internal diaphrams seal? if they can pump through each other it would be easy... combined with the SAS conversion ...

Dave... can the pumps pump through each other? .

and... would a production SAS convert for the type 7 include the flapper bit for the snorkel?

I don't mind putting my aspirations of having this thing running on "hold" if it means waiting for a production SAS kit and simplifying the operation for my own use. ... I mean hell it's taken me this long ... it's not going anywhere ;)
                    Last edited by Reckless; 06-28-2012, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Avera
                      Lieutenant
                      • May 2012

Hi Reckless,

I too am in the process of building my VII sub. Current configuration is with just the ballast tank to control ascent and decent (waiting on repairs to the blow valve). I have ordered the LPB to be the primary system with the ballast tank as backup. I am not familiar with the SAS or its pending conversion kit production. Is this something to replace or complement either or both ballast and LPB systems? In the meantime I'll keep searching for information.

Andrew

Comment

• Reckless
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2012

avera if you search SAS (semi aspirated system) on this forum you'll see what we are talking about... it replaces the gas system and allows you to use some of the SD's internal air to start the ballast blow till your snort tube/snorkel can broach the surface and pull fresh air.

it's something Dave has been working on and finally got around to actually doing his own subs and sea trialing them so he can make production retrofit kits.

mines actually been in the water... but due to things both my own doing and previous builder .. I'm at a compromise stage now ... I just need to pick a direction ;)

Comment

• Reckless
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2012

okay decided to give a new servo a go, get this thing running and get some enjoyment before flipping stuff around. (and a big regetta from my old boat group in August .. and I wanna represent das boot! hehe..

so... plan A

and if that doesn't work... theres always ...
                          plan B

Comment

• Reckless
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2012

plan A worked...

gotta do a little tweaking as I think I got the exact position it's sitting in a touch off ... I think the linkage is binding just a touch and not letting the servo perfectly center. its a little noisey sitting at center if I tap the control still the other side it stops and shuts up ... so it's either a slight bind in the rod/linkage... or my old radio isn't perfectly centering on that stick

Comment

• Reckless
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jan 2012

it saw water !!!! ... was out for around 30 minutes as I tried to see what where I need to tweak and work on for the static angles of the planes.

I noticed that it wasn't sitting right. so I brought it in for a quick check over. and I found just under a teaspoon of water in the engine room ... none of the electrics got wet or anything .. but it scared me so I kept it outta the water till I could get it back home and do some testing to see if it is a real leak... or just operator error (ie I didn't get a proper seal on my caps...etc)

anyways.. one of the other club members grabbed his camera soon as the sub came out

same guy has been doing short video's each sunday he's at the pond for the club website... so lessee if this is accesible

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

Great looking hat!
                                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...