Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

thanks LOL ... won it at carnival on fathersday and it turned out to be a damn good sun hat for hanging out at the lake...

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

on the video ... when it dives ... kinda stops and comes up stern first... it wasn't supposed to dive LOL I was playing with the throttle seeing where my planes should be for stable/level ... I didn't know how fast it was diving or what angle... I cut the throttle and waited a sec to see if the natural boyancey would bring it back up... couldn't tell what it was doing so hit full reverse

aka I freaked out a bit .. HA...

can anyone give me any points for "static" plane angles? (aka no controller input for flat running?)

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Zero-zero for bow and stern planes. Trim the boat in submerged trim with 1/2" of sail sticking into the air, on a level keel.

Pull the equalization valve core, put a flexible tube on the fitting, blow into it and sink the SD in water and find the source of that leak.

And, for God's sake, don't forget to put the core valve (Schrader valve) back when you've finished looking for bubbles!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

oooo I got some trimming time in the tub again then .. LOL I've got half the sail out of water submerged, not 1/2 inch. I made a couple small changes before it hit water and didn't think about it ... I finally got my SD "tied down" (IE velco) .. before it was 'floating' 3-4mm ... tied down now the bow floats a bit to the stern

and yeah I'll go over the SD for the leak .. I think I know what it is already... hopefully the seal isn't damaged and just a little "tension" on the rod is letting some water seep in ... it's a tiny tiny leak for the amount of time it was in the water... but it's still a leak! ... but

it was in the water! ... that alone had me over the moon... makes doing more tweaking actually feel worth it ya'know

Comment

• Aug 2008

You are officially over the 'hump', Reckless; having the thrill of that first dive pumps you up where you now see the end-game: a well running, reliable and FUN r/c model submarine.

Half the sail out of the water in submerged trim is fine -- run it like that for now. Later, when you get cocky, add a bit more weight to further lower the sail so you can creep along without having to put the planes full over to keep the beast down.

Nothing beats a submerged sub for fun, huh?!....

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2012

I actually noticed something kinda weird... the bow would go down easy (even sitting a little stern low with the tank full)

but I couldn't get it to point the bow back up on the planes ... I had to slow/stop and wait for it to rise back up.. or give it a shot in reverse

eh.. I know I gots tweaking to do ... first is a retrim (after checking/fixing leak ofcourse)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Is your ADF set to put 'rise' on the stern planes when the bow goes down? Hey, I've done this too, that's why I'm asking.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Is your ADF set to put 'rise' on the stern planes when the bow goes down? Hey, I've done this too, that's why I'm asking.

David
                  it SHOULD be ... but hey.. I don;t Assume I got it right first go... ... the way I set it is like an Airplane.. its trying to push the nose over to correct...

could be as simple as my bow planes are at the wrong angle and/or getting caught/bound somewhere in the linkage on full rise..

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jul 2011

How fast are you driving it? My SB-1 and Holland dive under a bit from surfaced when driven too fast forward. I can make the Holland suck down it's stern and stand on end bow up vertical if I throw the thing into reverse full when on surface!

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

not sure exactly how fast, but I was rolling past 3/4 throttle when it started to go under

still no chance to get my ass back to the SD to check it over/make adjustments .. :(

Comment

• Reckless
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2012

so... threw a hose on the SD, filled the sink... submerged the SD and blew into the hose ... nothing... varied pressures... nothing...

turned on TX and SD... pressurized again (again varing pressures) and when through functions .... nothing...

looks like one of my thoughts from the leak in the first place seems to be correct... operator error... guessing I didn't have my tongue right when I put the SD together for the sub the last time.. I can't rememeber if the valve pfft'd last time.. it did this time before i removed it to attach the hose... (wheres the smiley on here for pulling your hair out? LOL )

still haven't had a chance to get it back in the domestic test tank for retrim though ...

Comment

• Aug 2008

... we having fun yet?

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2012

so... I broke another part... yay! ...

I got the sub all prepped to hit the tub for a retrim ... was cycling through the controls .. and one of my blue plastic propshaft couplers exploded and spit the dogbone out of the sub and across the shop (luckily I found it)

looking through the webpage I notice that all that is available is the brass ones... should I switch over? or how much for a blue plastic one Davey?

Due to financial and time constraints .. I'm afraid that this sub will be going up for sale as soon as it's saleable in my eyes (aka 'working' )

it's a sad choice, and not an easy one (nor the only boat, my 40inch PT109 is going up for sale too) ... but it's hard to sit struggling with finally clearing 1 years worth of bills (off work injured) .. while staring at nearly $2K sitting on my work bench that I can barely get to, to work on... let alone enjoy :(

that being said ... you haven't got rid of me that easy ! ... I do want a sub... but something a touch bigger/simpler/easier to work on is in my furture (like a 1/72 scale nuke sub LOL )

but yeah Dave lemme know what it'll take to get a new blue shaft cup.. or a pair of brass ones.. which ever you suggest

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hit me with your mailing address, a list of goodies required, and I'll get them out to you.

Hang in there -- with luck there will be a changing of the guard at the White House in a few months. Business, and life in general, will get better.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
                                Commander
                                • Jan 2012

Reckless, as frustrating as it is try to stay with it mate... It will be worth it in the end.
                                Cheers,
                                Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                                But to dream is a reality

Comment

Working...