Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
    No worries man! ... you've gone above and beyond in my books and I've ever appreciative... no matter how impatient it's made me :D

address has been emailed.
    Darrin,

Got the new address and applied it to your package and just sent the box off.

Here's a brief summery of what I did:
    1. identified a leak around the switch-boot body -- addressed that with a bead of RTV
    2. removed the switch from the ESC and shorted the two wires together
    3. re-set the ADF's stern planes
    4. re-set the ADF's fail-safe points
    5. identified a leaking seal at the stern plane pushrod -- replaced (easy on the CA, Pal! Some of it got into the seal)
    6. performed functional test of all sub-system -- test sat
    7. performed leak test of cylinder and motor bulkhead -- test sat
    8. performed functional test of ballast sub-system. Adjusted -- test sat

David D Merriman lll
    D&E Miniatures
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

woot! ... thanks :D not sure if the CA was me or IR3 ... eitherway noted ;) ...

thanks again! hopefully continue this thread and build to the finish line shortly :D (and start another one!)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
        woot! ... thanks :D not sure if the CA was me or IR3 ... eitherway noted ;) ...

Thanks again! hopefully continue this thread and build to the finish line shortly :D (and start another one!)
        I had a lot of Caswell work to get out of the way, then there was a re-write of the massive 1/72 torpedo/launcher hand-book ... it's non-stop here.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I replaced that awful first-generation ballast sub-system servo ... the one that fell apart when you tried to lightly tug on its three-wire lead?

Sounds like you got it bad -- already thinking about your next project.

STOP THAT!

Focus, damit! ... one project at a time; get this one done right. Only then get into a new project. We're here to help and will walk/kick/curse, and/or sweet-talk you to the finish line. Whatever it takes. As long as you're not a ****-head.

(Guys like Jungleload don't get that treatment -- because they're ****-heads! I don't work with ****-heads).

I took pictures as I put that SD right for you. I'll forward them to you -- give me your e-mail address -- so you can work them into the rest of your WIP thread, Dennis.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

email is rabidhamster@shaw.ca

the servo was pulled when it got to me... it was still working so I wasn't worried about it for now.

but thanks, for everything

as for being focused... what can I say... the desire to play at the lake and the next project is what drives me to finish the projects I've got ;)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey ... youthful exuberant behavior. Can't beat it. Go get 'em, Tiger!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2012

WOOT gots a tube in the mail today .... once again.. THANK YOU DAVE ...

(how many times can I say thank you in 2 pages.... ALOT :P )

lessee how much of the honey-do list I can sluff off or ram through to take advantage of this upcomming long weekend and ATLEAST get this thing in the domestic test tank and trimmed.

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

the sub has officially been wet! first I had to re arrange all the plug in's to the RX as my old radio (a converted 35mhz) is backwards too Daves.

this was as it first hit the water ... no foam other then in the "saddles" .. dunno if you can see it but it's stern heavy

also discovered that the hosing for my SNORT was backwards LOL ... instead of rising my sub turned into a squirt gun ... the kid loved it, I just kinda stared at it sideways for a moment till it hit me... the gas backup however worked nicely and brought it back up ...

heres basically what I came up with the foam needed... actually it's a little MORE then the sub needs... and I'll explain in a sec ..

near the end of trimming I lost my rudder ... going nuts and fearing the worst I scooped the sub, stripped the foam and bands off the outside .. peeled off the top and started examing the SD expecting to see the engine/elec compartment full of water... it was bone dry (YAY) ... and then it was dinner time .. so the sub's been sitting on the counter for me to come back and resume ... I also would like to get some answers to a couple questions before I go back for the final tweaking to foam

so Dave.. and any others:
                - how much of the tower should be sticking out of the water at full ballast (I do understand the slightly pos boyancy part.. but generally how much should I be aiming for?)
                - does the amount of foam appear to be excessive? as in... did I put a bit too much lead in the keel?
                - my auto leveler is backwards? ... when I tilt the nose up the rear planes go "down" aka to make the stern go down and make the sub go up... instead of trying to force the nose back down and keep the sub level?

I also found out the hard way that the beauty wood deck wasn't sealed on the bottom side and had become water logged... so gotta let that dry out.. hopefully not crack all to hell and get the bottom side of it sealed

Comment

• Aug 2008

For starters work out submerged trim with about half of the sail sticking out of the water.

Yes, excessive.

If you're using the ADF-2 go through the set-up ... and this time read the *** instructions! If its the older ADF, you'll have to flip it within the SD.

That wood deck was a stupid move! Go back to the plastic.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Reckless - the stern is heavy submerged, is it still heavy with an empty ballast tank? If it is not aft heavy then your foam will go above the water line. Is it too much that you have there? I cannot say, but if it gets her level (submerged first, then surfaced), than I would say it is not too much.

As far as how much positive buoyancy, first your Snort has to be above the surface of the water, that is why I ran mine up the periscope to get it high. Then I have found that the closer I get the conning tower to the surface, the easier it is to dive (less thrust needed). If I have too much positive lift, it takes a lot of forward thrust to get her down and stay down. However, I have found on my Gato that even a 2-3 foot depth can make your slightly positive sub a negative buoyant sub (compression of foam and slight flex of tube). There are trade offs. So, make it more buoyant then add weight to adjust for the type of performance you want.
                    I am speaking from my recent experience, but I would ask David to correct me.
                    Last edited by trout; 05-20-2012, 11:45 PM. Reason: spell check made ballast into ballet
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

- will do

- alright.. I'll remove some lead

- alright alright .... wasn't important at this moment so I hasn't dug to far into it

- it was how I got it... wood deck and photoetched bits... didn't get the original plastic ... so I'll figure it out.

Comment

• Reckless
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2012

trout- sorry missed your post ... was probably as I was writing reply to Daves post...

the stern was heavy with no foam (other then in the saddles) with an empty tank... was just the initial throw in the water to start trimming...

the reason I asked if the foam was excessive (and Dave replied that yes it is... ) is I looked in the stern and fitting all that foam would be ..well... not impossible.. but damn near.. LOL .. just means I put too much lead in here keel I will have to take some out to lessen the amount of foam.

as for depth and foam .. yeah I can see that... for first trials in open water I will probably go a little more boyant than really needed and play from there... 2-3ft is probably the max depth I'll take this thing too ... and it won't be that often LOL .. my normal running place is fairly shallow, but it's also crystal clear. no pool runs around here.. and the couple other places it might visit are really murky water so diving past periscope sticking up just isn't gonna happen.

Comment

• Reckless
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2012

well .. removed some lead from the keel, and started digging into the SD to see what I lost my rudder.

discovered that the rudder servo has caved... something on the board .. the joint it solders too and/or something on the board too ...

I'll put it back in the SD so I can finish the trimming ... but an open water maiden shall have to wait till a new servo is ordered and into my warm lil mitts.

I had intended to snag a baby revell skipjack soon as not to miss my chance, get a payday in a week and a bit so I'll order it all at once...

Comment

• Reckless
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2012

hit the tub again ... MUCH better ...

even managed to get a submerged trim in

now the conning tower ended up being a little loose in the shot... so it sits a hair lower down the tower then in the pic

so ... into the "home" stretch :D ... start buttoning the hull and stuff while I wait for a new servo ........
                            Last edited by Reckless; 05-22-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Excellent trim work! Well done.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Reckless
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jan 2012

thanks :D was quite happy that it turned out that nicely...

did a little bit of work over the weekend, got the foam IN the hull ... also added some more strategic vents in the deck as I was having issues with trapped air every time I tested to full surface (mainly at the stern where the silly wood deck has no vents). one of the local pro type builders said he should have a servo or two that I'm looking for so we'll see what happens there ... hopefully won't have to wait for mail purchase get this thing into open water and patrolling

Comment

Working...