Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

Gots me a new servo yay! Got the foam IN the hull . So now , reset and check all the elecs and linkage. Play with magnets for the tower and make hold down for sd . Then test tank and adjust as needed in prep for open water maiden next weekend

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

had a little excitement today ... doing some final tweaking of the foam and such in the test tank...

and the line to the gas resevoir exploded ... I'm not exactly sure what line of events led to this ... luckily enough nothing else was damaged, no leaks...etc .. just a non functioning back up gas system and the need to find some clean shorts

anyways... appears that my trimming is complete

at this point ... need to tweak some pushrods ... and then it's off to open water maiden on Sunday (provided mother nature wants to play nice)

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

LOL! Let me guess ... the bath-tub water was a bit on the warm side?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

thats the old thing that crossed my mind... it wasn't like HOT .. it was luke warm... room temperature... either way probably didn't help

I think the "trigger" was the Snort system .. like the initial movement or shock of air? into the tank ... like a second after I hit the switch for the pump the line popped with a WHUMP ... it was the same as watching a movie where a sub gets hit with a torpedo ... the initial bubble "explosion" before the sub explodes into a billion peices... the deck popped and buckled a bit... after I finished freaking out I found it rather comical...

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Reckless,
            I can only imagine the thoughts going through your mind when it happened. Glad no major damage and you can still get a maiden voyage in.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I've had it happen to me. Usually, a change of underwear is in order.

The SAS will fix all that. Just converted five boats to it and will run them this weekend at the Harbor Fest show in Norfolk. I'll give a full report next week. For the first time in 25 years I'm not bringing a bottle of Propellant with me to the boating site.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

nice ... I doubt I'll be switching this sub to SAS ... think once it's proven to work... it's staying the way it is

I'll leave SAS for the next one. a new sub that I actually build all myself.

just wanna get this one running proper like ... and move onto something else to get in yer hair about :D

Comment

• Reckless
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jan 2012

well ... it saw open water.... the conditions kinda sucked (the chop was reaching over the conning tower) ... but I found a slightly sheltered portion of our little harbor..... checked the sub on the table, threw it in the water and started to run it through it's paces .....

and the vent servo wouldn't work.... so I couldn't escape the chop on the surface , and was a touch worried about lossing a function, so the voyage was cut short before even leaving the harbour.

not sure if the servo caved, or something else is amiss (haven't had a chance to get back to the sub and check :( ) but I grabbed a new servo on the way home just incase.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Whooo there partner. you, "Haven't had a chance to get back to the sub..."!???? You did post-mission the SubDriver I-pray-to-God-you-did??

You do know how to do mission checks and why? Please tell me you did not put the SD away without at least poping the two bulkheads off the cylinder!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

popped the endcaps, disconnected batteries... quick water check .. that's as far as I got.... boss was yelling at me ... something about sneaking away to the lake at the time period she had planned to go get shopping done.... heh...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh, you did air it out. Belay my last outburst, Reckless. you did good.

I too serve at the feet of a boss-lady; She Who Must Be Obeyed!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2012

so.... got the vent servo out of the SD... and ... uh...

I dun think that's supposed to happen...

case is melted, motors seized .... for a servo with basically no load.. this is a new one to me ... but alas the world marchs on, hopefully by fathers day I'll have the SD back together and attempt a real "maiden"

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

now that is the hand of a U-boat crew...
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

You filthy animal, you!

Redboat's right -- those are the hands of an Auxillaryman or Torpedoman.

Hygiene issues aside ...

Wow! How can that thing pass enough current to melt the case without first frying those small gauge wires that make up the servo lead?

The heat came from another source. I bet you have your battery cables tucked up tight under the ballast servo when the motor-bulkhead is pushed into place -- is there a plug-connector back there that something could have shorted across, cooking the servo above?

Take that servo case apart and give us a photo-narrative postmortem. The condition of the servo amplifier board will tell the tale.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jan 2012

Mechanic ... with fabrication and welding on the side ... had a chance to get to the SD right after getting home from work... but a good portion of that is "stained"

I'll see what I can get too tonight... wanna figure out what/how fried before just throwing another one in there.

Comment

Working...