Continuing/finishing (?) a Revell 1/72 type VIIC from another user

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Nothing indicated on-model as to waterline. Your booklet that comes with the kit indicates it, I think. Use a surface-gauge to mark it off.

But, don't paint anything till you have this thing running right in the pool. Then we'll talk painting.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

yeah wasn't intending to paint yet... just busy brain while waiting for things to set, etc... trying to keep planned ahead and such. .. that and I don't want a nicely painted underwater war machine... with bright pink showing through the holes and vents.. ha!

either way.. the project marches along as a sorta steady pace... defiantely taking this alot slower then any of my surface boat stuff :D

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thinking ahead. I like that. Bet you're good at pool. Keep at it.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

hehe... my friends won't play with me anymore....

haven't quite got the swing of chess yet though ... not enough people still play it around here... and the online stuff thus far sucks.

I had hoped to have the rods done today.. but I had to flash sell my last airsoft gun to make sure kids school payment didn't bounce .. so I've spent the day getting the airsoft gun ready to hand off instead of working on my RC stuff

with any luck I'll find out tommorow I have a new job...

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I'll keep you in my thoughts on the job!
            Cheers,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
              hehe... my friends won't play with me anymore....

haven't quite got the swing of chess yet though ... not enough people still play it around here... and the online stuff thus far sucks.

I had hoped to have the rods done today.. but I had to flash sell my last airsoft gun to make sure kids school payment didn't bounce .. so I've spent the day getting the airsoft gun ready to hand off instead of working on my RC stuff

with any luck I'll find out tommorow I have a new job...
              You put first things first, Reckless. I like that.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

.. I dunno.. think it'll be enough? ... LOL

1 full 1/2inch sheet, and 1 full 1inch sheet... each cut into 4 pieces so I could bring em home in the car...

nothing definate newjob wise for the rest of this week ... so.. with ANY luck the sub will hit the domestic test tank for first foam testing by friday...

Comment

• Reckless
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jan 2012

bah... just realized I have to wait for the new 75mhz FM module for my radio (I hope I ordered the right one.. LOL ) before I can properly do the pushrods (servo's activated in neutral position, etc) , and testing (flooding balast for foam ) and such.... unless I flip out for my 2.4 for the sake of testing

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

well ... I gots me a new job... start next monday... that's the good news.... the bad news is still haven't received the new module I ordered for the radio I got my hands on .... so I haven't been able to progress on good concious (I don't wanna find out the servo's weren't zero'd and require remaking the pushrods )

so at this moment I'm in a holding pattern... good ole hurry up and wait.. LOL

Comment

• Reckless
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2012

finally got the damned module for my radio today :D hope to have the SD powered up for the first time in my possession tonight... .. make sure the servo's are centered, then finally build the pushrods ... so I can trim the beasty and finally get it wet :D

Comment

• Reckless
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2012

built my first set of pushrods... and the brass rods I used are too thin, they are flexing all over the place.. they fit the klikons well, but they flex

and I have to figure out a way to tighten up the lever on the rear planes... it's flopping all over the place :(

Comment

• Aug 2008

Take the cast white-metal 'lever' -- its proper nomenclature is, 'stern plane bell-crank' -- put it on an anvil and smash it with a hammer.

Lightly, though.

This will reduce the size of the square hole in its center. You repeat the terrible hammer blows till the square section stern plane operating shaft is an interferrence fit within the hole. That will take the slop out of the system.

Hammers are our friends!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2012

.... what is this... lightly, you speak of? ...

:biggrin:

can this be done after it's all be put together? LOL ... I dunno if it'll come apart without breaking something.. as in .. I dunno what Ire glued/locked inplace before hand...

eh... I'll figure it out... .. but progress is being made... things are living and moving... the great fun will be to see if the SD is still sealing up ..etc... heh..

Comment

• Aug 2008

Either both or one of the stern planes should only be a friction fit to the square sectoned operating shaft -- this permits you to pull the operating shaft out of the square hole in the bell-crank, permitting removal of the bell-crank out of the skeg so you can perform the hammer trick.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jan 2012

the stern planes are glued to said rod... I tried several ways and forms to pull or pry them off .. ain't no friction fit LOL ... so I gotta figure that out... probably a cut and rebuild

but I made some progress and got the rods finalized

getting closer!

Comment

Working...