Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

yeah rudder travel is fine... I'll probably end up taking some travel from the bow planes via my radio end points

think I've got the stern planes sorted... after breaking more stuff ofcourse... I've now managed to snap off both of the outter support peices for the stern planes now...

at the rate I keep snapping peices I'm really considering selling or trading this thing for a complete 1:230 skipjack kit... but it's probably just minor frustration talking... but hey... if theres any chance of a trade Dave... lemme know... LOL!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Things break. Fix 'em!

This is the hard-part of an assembly like this: you near the end, you assume (wrongly) that all you have done is final, and there are only steps forward. As you're finding (and already knew), as you deal with an ever increasing machine of complexity, the likelihood of breakage and one task undoing a previous task(s), things start getting 'touchier' and advancement with the project seems to slow down as new, unexpected problems arise demanding your attention and creativity.

Gut-check time. Take heart, buddy ... you're not as far from the goal as you think.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jan 2012

haha! .. yeah .. glues already drying...

as awesome as it seemed to have one so far already built .. definately would have been more steps forward to have done the build myself. Far less "what the hell is this doing like this? " moments...

SD checking/tweaking ... foam/trim... and paint left now... looks like I've got all the control surfaces sorted...

Comment

• Reckless
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2012

rough filled the saddle tanks with foam... will more finish shave it to fit the SD later tonight... did some rearranging of the wiring in the SD so the functions matched where i wanted them on the Transmitter.

had to Westernize my transmitter too, as the clicker was on the Right stick and spring on the left stick... switched that around..

also gassed the SD to see/check that for leaks and functions... appears to be all working proper.

made my hose to pressurize the SD for a water/leak test... but forgot my darned valve tool at work

Comment

• Reckless
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2012

oooohhhhh (cue the music and sing along... you know the tune)

---- theres a hole in my SD dear davey dear davey
            theres a hole in my SD dear davey
            a hole....

yeah my SD leaks.... the O ring around the engine room endcap leaks like a siv ... the master switch in the battery room leaks(that should be pretty easy to shore up with some silicone) .. and the seal for the pushrod for the vent/gas leaks.... and possibly the oring for the balast tank at the other end of the engine room ...

considering the SD was supposed to be perfect as purchased(and I've read all the fixes IR3 had already been through on the forum here) .. and all the fixes I've been having to make... I'm sorta choked right now ...

I know the guys here will stand by the SD and work with me for the parts I need to get the SD running 100% .. I don't have the tools to take apart and rebuild the gas system wall and seal without breaking ****...

hey Dave... any chance for a trade in/upgrade I'm sure you could do minor work to this thing and resell it easily...

message me and lets get either this or something else sorted :D

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'll do just that. Package it up, send it in for a replacement. Sorry about that.

David D Merriman lll
              835 Holly Hedge Ave.
              Virginia Beach, VA 23452

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2012

*tried to send a message... didn't work.. *

I just had a thought

do you want/need any outside SAS testers? ... I would be willing/interested if you could build a Type 7 SAS SD withough the gas chamber/system ? I understand I would have to make the sealing vavle bit within the conning tower..

if that doesn't jive ... how would you like the SD sent back ... with all the electrics inside? or would you like me to pull the RX, controlllers and basically just send it with motors and servos?

I would like to make it really clear that I don't hold D&E resposible at all ... infact I'm over the moon with the help you've given me ... I'm just a little cross with Iran right now as purchase was all I had to do was make control rods, balast and paint... and well... I've had to go over and readjust every thing he's done.. LOL to the point that the snort manifold on top of the SD is in the wrong place and didn't even clear the deck properly...

however life goes on! ...

Comment

• Aug 2008

(in the voice of the Soup Nazi)

No SAS for you! ...

You're struggling as it is, let's keep this adventure a simple one, OK?

Send the whole kit-and-kabudle. I'll re-build everything and get it into working order, send it back to you, and you start enjoying this hobby.

Crawl, walk, only then run!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

no worries

only shots your sure to miss are the ones you don't take right? ...

I'll have it in the mail system end of next week (pay and scheduling)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Very good. We'll get you up and running.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2012

alright.. it's in a box ... padded the best I can manage and guess against the best efforts of CP and USPS LOL ... but I missed the chance to get it in the mail...

so soon as I can get my ass to a post office on time I'll get it out to you ...

thanks again Dave... I really do enjoy the building aspect ... just a little growly at the fact I anticipated it a little easier with purchasing so much "all ready done" ... but alas.. I'm a big boy and life goes on.. and the Sum'***** will get wet for the summer damnit! LOL

Comment

• Reckless
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2012

Subdriver is officially in the mail... its SUPPOSED to be in your hands by Friday David!

lemme know when you get it... cause I have a small request if possible.... can you put the snort manifold on top of the SD in it's proper possition for the Type 7 ... on the other side of the 'gas' tank... so it's under my conning tower and not under the deck gun.. LOL

if it requires a new tube, and its a PITA .. then no worries I'm appreciative either way just getting the leaks taken care of :D

Comment

• Reckless
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2012

hey Dave... When you get a chance to get to my SD, etc... and are done, etc.... lemme know cause the return mailing address will be different. I've switched to a job where I can't get to my normal Post office during their business hours anymore

... have I become enough of a pain in the ass yet? ... :D I'm getting my targets back to water worthy atleast :D

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                              hey Dave... When you get a chance to get to my SD, etc... and are done, etc.... lemme know cause the return mailing address will be different. I've switched to a job where I can't get to my normal Post office during their business hours anymore

... have I become enough of a pain in the ass yet? ... :D I'm getting my targets back to water worthy atleast :D
                              It's working, a last look and leak check and it's outa here -- thanks for being patient with me.

give me that mailing address.

dmeriman@aol.com

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jan 2012

No worries man! ... you've gone above and beyond in my books and I've ever appreciative... no matter how impatient it's made me :D

address has been emailed.

Comment

Working...