X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    It looks a little more grey than I wanted.
    Its VERY shiny...are you going to dull it down?
    Also the paint work on the sail looks a bit uneven - or is that the light and camera angle?

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thanks, The pictures dont do it justice. They were taken with flash. Its actually much darker than it appears. Its not black to be sure but a dark, dark grey. It is too glossy, thats for sure.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Ya Know.........If I spray clear flat to get rid of the gloss, its liable to become too light in color. Dave, you mentioned earlier to use Black and add a little white to get the color. Would it be easier and use less paint if I started with white and slowly added the black? Seems like it would take a lot of white to tone down the black but very little black to darken the white.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Also, Dave, Did you say that we should avoid Floquil products as not being durable enough? I ask this because the stuff is great to work with and is readily available.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Questions.....Questions.......So many Questions. Can you tell that this project was not very well thought out?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
              Also, Dave, Did you say that we should avoid Floquil products as not being durable enough? I ask this because the stuff is great to work with and is readily available.
              ... and fertilizer is readily available too. But, I would not recommend it for this use either!

Floquil is not durable. It's formulated to serve as a thin coating of clear films (flat to gloss) and pigmented paint, to be applied to static display models and model trains -- things not subject to the abrasive, dynamic environment suffered by practical r/c model submarines. Krylon and the other box-store rattle-can paints are not my first choice, but better than most one-part hobby shop paints!

Dark, dark gray requires little, little white mixed with the black .... STOP SCREWING WITH ME!!!!

You're making this much harder than it has to be, hydroplane-boy!

And that last shot of spray primer on your long suffering ALBACORE: You laid it on way, way too thick, Mark. A bunch of light 'mist' coats, allowed to flash between applications, is the way to go. I'll bet you have chipping/cracking issues down the road.

David

(The Voice of Doom!)
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Points well taken. But, thats not primer, thats the final coat. I Think??

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Look, Here is a picture, without the flash, of the hull painted Charcoal Grey next to a oil sample bottle that is truly Flat black. The flash makes the hull look too lite.Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	67732
                  Last edited by greenman407; 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Can your camera not use the flash? If not, try folding a tissue over the flash and take a picture (there are other materials as well, but for a quick fix Kleenex tissue will work). A couple of things should happen, the tissue will disburse the harshness of direct flash and then the sensors should adjust and give adequate exposure. Give it a try.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Trout, the picture above was taken without the flash. However, i will try your tissue idea. Thanks

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

My mistake for not reading closely. I struggle with, what is correct color with regards to models? Some people scale the color down, others do not. When I did competitions, there are wild debates and disagreements. Now, I do not compete and paint to what I like. Let the rivet counting, paint patrolling, tire measuring, know it alls chase somewhere else - WOW I have some anger to let go of there. LOL
                        Attached Files
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

My Goal is to get the bottom half painted as well this week along with application of Dry Transfers and then Dullcoat it to remove the gloss. Next weeks goal will be to get the props repainted and mounted along with the drive mechanism. Then itll be time to start work on the Sub driver. Depending on Daves schedule, I can either wait for the new Subdriver from him or I can begin to revamp my old one. Time will tell.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Ive had these dry transfers around forever. They came with the original Subtek kit. What a mess that was. Im trying not to remind myself. It really tested my metal. The large numbers are too big for the sail. So I think that Ill just leave them off. The only thing usefull are the depth markings. I just have to look at my pictures and try to figure out what goes where.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 157.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	67783Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 158.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	67784Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 159.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	67785

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

These two pictures provide some clues as to the depth marking locations.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	6-7.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	67786Click image for larger version

Name:	chez_alexia.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	67787

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

In the first picture , note the size of the sail numbers. The ones that came with the kit are at least 50% larger. Since this sub will be used for attacking Rogue Alphas and renegade 212s and the occasional kidnapped Indian Akula, we dont want to be identified. So, we will leave the numbers off. Oh,.... whatll we do about offensive weapons? AAAWWW, well just trade paint.
                                Last edited by greenman407; 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...