Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Patience , my good man, patience. Im Old and worn out.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Patience my ........ Mark, don't let my youthful, handsome, good looks fool you, I am older that most people think.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Mark
        where did you buy your 1/60 scale plan?
        Thanks
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

This is a "Subtek" Albacore that has been modified over the years. The drawing that came with it was nothing more than a outline. I dont have a drawing with any details, just a bunch of pictures.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
            This is a "Subtek" Albacore that has been modified over the years. The drawing that came with it was nothing more than a outline. I dont have a drawing with any details, just a bunch of pictures.
            Thanks -The origin of that drawing I think is none other God himself.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

No details?!...

Why... you......!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Well , you know what I mean. It wasnt a serious drawing that a model builder would use. No dimensions, no cutaways, more for a visual reference than to build a scale sub from. Nice job though.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hurumph!.....................
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Just a little update on this thing. I basically had to start over on this painting of the observation dome. I experimented with using clear Rustoleum paint and mixing in other colors to acheive the desired effect. After mixing in a cup I applied it with my new Airbrush! Im so proud of it! Well, apparently, Rustoleums clear is made to be applied over an already cured paint job because I had an adverse reaction. So Im starting over. Not to worry, its still taking shape. Yesterday I sprayed some polyurethane over some of the dry transfers to give them some staying power. Well you know..........ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Keep on, keeping on, Mark.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Just a little update on this thing. I basically had to start over on this painting of the observation dome. I experimented with using clear Rustoleum paint and mixing in other colors to acheive the desired effect. After mixing in a cup I applied it with my new Airbrush! Im so proud of it! Well, apparently, Rustoleums clear is made to be applied over an already cured paint job because I had an adverse reaction. So Im starting over. Not to worry, its still taking shape. Yesterday I sprayed some polyurethane over some of the dry transfers to give them some staying power. Well you know..........ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette.

I'm always a little suspicious of paint incompatibility when I hear of paint problems that go astray. Most of the paints we use these days cure quite quickly and even if they aren't fully cured don't tend to react too badly to an additional layer, particularly if its a light layer, like through your airbrush.

Is the Rustoleum an acrylic paint?
                        If it is this can be a problem - plonk any acrylic paint over the top of an enamel and you can expect problems. I learned this the hard way. Had to strip back / sand back and respray an entire boat.
                        Acrylic and Enamels can co-exist and work well providing the Acrylic layer(s) are applied BEFORE any Enamel layer(s). Get this around the wrong way and you paint will start to look like paint stripper at work.
                        So A before E (Acrylic always before Enamel).

If Rustoleum is an Enamel, my next question is as per you statement re mixing in other paints were all of these Enamels too or a mix bag of Enamels and Acrylics?

If indeed paint incompatibility is your current paint problem, I find it a very easy trap to walk into when trying to experiment to achieve some special look or effect.

Mark - setbacks are all learning. Great post mate keep at it.

Hope this helps

J
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I ran into the problem recently with the Gato on mixing Acrylic and Enamel. Our environment is heavy on the moisture and that is the biggest hurdle. I have painted models in the past for effects and convenience (with care) been able to mix. So, on subs, I will follow slats advice!
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Yeah, thats a problem. The Rustoleum clear says Enamel. The Dark Bronze doesnt say. I would have to call them in the future.

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Yeah, thats a problem. The Rustoleum clear says Enamel. The Dark Bronze doesnt say. I would have to call them in the future.
                              If its an Enamel Mark, lets presume the coat it went over is either Arcylic or Enamel so that order of things (A always before E) should be fine. I'd say check what you mixed with it. If the Bronze is Acrylic we have our bad juju. Also consider what you thinned the paint down with for your airbrush.

Its a real treat Mark to have a thread like this, so transparent, not a lot of noise, great signal quality, aids learning to all - myself included.

Best

John
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Thanks John. I didnt have any problems until I used the clear. Ive been mixing freely with the other colors trying to achieve whatever I could achieve, hopefully, surprising myself. I didnt use any thinner as what comes out of the can is really thin already. As a matter of fact, I put some in a spray bottle for use the next day and it has already completely seperated. Its apparently got a high percentage of thinner in it. CHEAP, very little pigment.
                                Last edited by greenman407; 08-25-2012, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...