Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

LOL - I am actually laughing out loud and will probably chuckle about this the rest of the day. I can only imagine what you would say - probably not the best forum to do that!!!!
    Thank you, I needed a laugh today.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	Albacore comm. quarter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	68517Notice that the earlier version of Albacore did not have a observation dome but instead had windows.Click image for larger version

Name:	Albacore Museum.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	68518Click image for larger version

Name:	Albacore Zoom.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	68519
      Last edited by greenman407; 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• bassplayer1
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by greenman407
        And that little segment is, the representation of the Observation dome on the top front of the sail. Trying to reproduce plexiglass is difficult. What I did was to take flat white as a base and add to it .............Alluminum. As it darkened up I was hopeing that the alluminum would show thru and give the impression of transparency. Well what I ended up with was a medium gray. Oh well , it doesnt look bad. Next I will tape off the silver metal frame around the outside and up through the middle. After the boat is flattened with clear flat I will go back and spray the dome with clear slightly doped with grey to darken it slightly. The airbrush comes in handy for all this.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]14734[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14735[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14736[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14737[/ATTACH]

You could vac-form it in thin clear polysterine, is very easy and it would look the part!!!!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

You could........but I cant. Dont have the machine or the know how. But its a good idea for sure.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Gawd this a gorgeous boat.
            Just love it from any angle.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Yes, the combination of the X-Tail and the tapering turtleback make it for me.

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

Quote: And that little segment is, the representation of the Observation dome on the top front of the sail. Trying to reproduce plexiglass is difficult. What I did was to take flat white as a base and add to it .............Alluminum. As it darkened up I was hopeing that the alluminum would show thru and give the impression of transparency.

An idea for tranparency: Take a clear soda bottle and cut a section out. Lay the section over the part of the tower to be transparent and warm it with a heat gun to see if it will form to shape. Then if it looks good ...

Scott T

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

OH DEAR! That sounds like a lot harder than painting. I dont want to open up "Pandoras Box" if you know what I mean.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Tomorrow night Ill take clear and add just a smidge, and I mean just a smidge of metalic bronze to it to slightly darken it. We will see what we have after airbrushing that on. Necessity is the mother of invention and experimentation is a two edged sword.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Years ago, there was a buffing wax or finish that I would rub into a model to give a hint of bronze, gold or silver. Just throwing that out and it was so long ago, I do not remember the brand.
                      Whatever technique you use, I am sure, I will learn something new!
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

The Wizard is the real expert on weathering and painting and such. Im just.............experimenting. He will have a fit when, .........if he learns how Im mixing my paint and what Im using. LOL:biggrin:

Comment

• alad61
                          Commander
                          • Jan 2012

The biggest problem with metalics is that once matted down or dull coated they stop looking metalic. The best way to paint a glass/window look is start with a dark( not black ) base then blend up to the lights reflective point. In the case of the dome You need to decide which part will be the highest light reflecting point. Which isn't always the top of the dome... paint it all a dark then work backwards remembering to never fully cover the colour underneath as your blends get lighter. Then at the end you finish with your lightest ( not white )shade. Then to enhance it at the lightes part just add a tiny dot/strip of white as a glare point. Then even under a dull coat you should get a look like glass... Note it does take practice (insert evil laugh)
                          Cheers,
                          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Oh My, well, it sounds like you should be here.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Tinting the dome came out well. A slight hint of bronze is apparent. Now I got to ring it with a thin stripe of silver to represent the stainless steel frame and also a stripe up the middle.

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Pictures please!

Comment

Working...