atic: 1:35 Bronco XXIII with interior

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Wow! Looking at those tubes made this old Torpedoman's Mate recollect the smell of grease, metal polish, the stink from roller-pockets, ****, diesel oil, and dirty socks.

Masterful work, herr doktor!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

Thank you very much. Took me while to get the tubes right, but it was worth the time.

Comment

• goshawk823
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2010

fantastic work on this boat. really appreciate you sharing the progress with the build.

Comment

• neitosub
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Nov 2021

Stunning build!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Drooling like everyone else. When I see there is an update to this thread, I get excited to see what you are doing. Always impressive and fantastically detailed.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Insane... absolutely insane! So beautiful!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

Worked some on the torpedo tube assembly. Between the tubes and the pressure hull wall were two compressed air bottles that contained the air used to expell the torpedos. I installed both, but as the starboard bottle would have excessively blocked the view inside the torpedo room, I depicted it hollow and cut away. Like it allot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-229.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	162853Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-230.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	162854

Name:	XXIII-231.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	162855Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-232.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	162856

Name:	XXIII-233.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	162857

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

That is awesome.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Mind blowing detail!

Comment

• SSBN659
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing it with us. I may have missed it earlier but what is the scale?

Will Rogers
                      SSBN659

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

The interior will go into a 1:35 Bronco XXIII kit

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

Worked a bit more on the details of the torpedo tubes. I installed the depth setting gears (blue arrow, port one is hidden). The running depth of the torpedos was set manually. Via a plate one could drive a shaft into the respective socket in the torpedo and then, via a hand crank, one could set the running depth. The gyro angle for the torpedos was set via gears (yellow arrows) and shafts via a hand crank below the gyro angle receiver (green arrow). The shooting solution was calcuulated using a "Torpedovorhalterechner" (torpedo data computer, red arrow). I also added the "Ausgleicharmaturen" (torpedo control panels, pink arrow), that were used to flood and vent the tubes. Via a angled adapter plate they were directly screwed onto the firing valves. The firing vales sat directly on the compressed air bottles. As a neat detail I added the hand crank, used to operate the muzzle doors and torpedo hatches, to the starboard torpedo hatch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-234.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	163116

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-235.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	163117

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-237.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	163119

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-236.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.8 KB ID:	163118
                          Last edited by DrSchmidt; 07-23-2022, 03:57 AM.

Comment

• goshawk823
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                            Worked a bit more on the details of the torpedo tubes. I installed the depth setting gears (blue arrow, port one is hidden). The running depth of the torpedos was set manually. Via a plate one could drive a shaft into the respective socket in the torpedo and then, via a hand crank, one could set the running depth. The gyro angle for the torpedos was set via gears (yellow arrows) and shafts via a hand crank below the gyro angle receiver (green arrow). The shooting solution was calcuulated using a "Torpedovorhalterechner" (torpedo data computer, red arrow). I also added the "Ausgleicharmaturen" (torpedo control panels, pink arrow), that were used to flood and vent the tubes. Via a angled adapter plate they were directly screwed onto the firing valves. The firing vales sat directly on the compressed air bottles. As a neat detail I added the hand crank, used to operate the muzzle doors and torpedo hatches, to the starboard torpedo hatch.

Click image for larger version Name:	XXIII-234.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	163116

Click image for larger version Name:	XXIII-235.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	163117

Click image for larger version Name:	XXIII-237.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	163119

Click image for larger version Name:	XXIII-236.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.8 KB ID:	163118
                            the detail in this space is mind blowing. fantastic!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

For those who are on Instagram - the current status with lights on: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CguiH..._web_copy_link

Comment

• neitosub
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Nov 2021

Superb! The lighting makes me feel like walking through a museum exhibit!

Nate

Comment

Working...