Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Thanks folks. There was little to none info about that storage space. So this is the realm of my fantasy. It's not finished yet. A bit more cargo and the ladder to climb down are still missing.

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

I can only only imagine what the future holds for 3D display models.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
        I can only only imagine what the future holds for 3D display models.
        Got to agree with Casey!

If Andreas Bronco is any indication of what's to come, it's going to be amazing for sure. The future of Resin printing! Your work is fantastic! Thank you again for sharing it with us.

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

Continued with building the ventilation manifold for the batteries. While being charged, the cells produced oxyhydrogen gas that had to be removed befor building up resulting in an explosion hazard. For that every cell was connected to a ventilation duct. The manifold is 3D printed and the ducts are made of 2,5 mm brass tube:

Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-179.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	159252

In addition I added the power lines to the cells:

Name:	XXIII-180.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	159253Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-181.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	159254Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-182.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	159255

Name:	XXIII-183.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	159256

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

O.K., the ventilation ducts for the explosive gas, that is created when the batteries are charged, are in place. Tedious job, but I'm quite pleased how it turned out. Now I have to decide if I want to submit myself to the torture of hooking up every battery cell with a tiny hose to the ducts. We will see....

Name:	XXIII-184.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	159334

Name:	XXIII-185.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	159335

Name:	XXIII-186.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	159336Click image for larger version

Name:	XXIII-187.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	159337

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

I've invented a new sport: apnoea building. Take some parts so tiny you can easily inhale them and glue about 70 of them to 2,5 mm diameter brass tubes. Then connect them with 0,5 mm wire to the battery cells. Start breathing again....

Name:	XXIII-188.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	159432

Name:	XXIII-189.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	159433

Name:	XXIII-190.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	159434

Name:	XXIII-191.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	159435

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

May I suggest that the piping is air pumped into the cells to also agitate the electrolyte via bubble-pumps which helps keep sediment from clinging to the plates, while at the same time the air bubbling to the surface of a cells electrolyte displaces and pushes Hydrogen gas out of the cells to eventually be pumped out of the boat (or diluted if submerged and not snorkeling) by the boats air circulation fans or diesel engine.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

Well, the hoses connect to the ducts which are connected to the main ventilation duct that runs through the boat. My understanding of the drawings is that this duct sucks the air out of the compartments (and the cells) via a blower and expels it into the air inlet of the diesel.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                    Well, the hoses connect to the ducts which are connected to the main ventilation duct that runs through the boat. My understanding of the drawings is that this duct sucks the air out of the compartments (and the cells) via a blower and expels it into the air inlet of the diesel.
                    Thank you for the clarification. You've traced the piping, I have not. Good stuff. Have you uncovered any pneumatic/mechanical means employed to agitate the electrolyte?

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

There must have been additional hoses. If hydrogen-oxygen gas is generated during charging, the batteries loose water and that has to be replaced. There are only a few pictures that I'm aware of. The battery room in a VIIc where you can see the ventialtion ducts and the hoses that connect them to the cells. But no hint of bubble or refill lines. Same on a single cell mock up pic:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Battery room .jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	159459

Click image for larger version  Name:	Battery.png Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	159458
                      But: In a picture from the last remaining Type XXI in Bremerhaven (U-2540) one can see two hoses connecting to the cell. That might be it....as these hoses are tiny in diameter, they might not show in the old black&white pictures.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Battery room XXI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	159460

Btw.: The fleet boat arrangement seems to be quite similar to the German design:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Battery room Fleet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	159461
                      Last edited by DrSchmidt; 02-21-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you for the deep-dive with the battery ventilation/arrangement presentation. You've taken us all to school here. Very, very good stuff, sir.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

Doesn't look to psectatcular but was quite a bit of work...the deck is on. Consists of three segments that fit quite well with only small adjustments needed. The most importatnt thing: It's straight. That would have been the point where major flaws would have shown up.

The dry fit of the starboard wood construction (only part of it are going to be displayed) and the torpedo/trimm cell are looking promising as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-195.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	159553

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-196.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	159554

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

When things come together that belong together....

Name:	XXIII-197.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	159576

Name:	XXIII-198.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	159577

Name:	XXIII-199.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	159578

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

Printing the structural parts for the bow torpedo room took some time and optimization loops. But I got there. Then I took on the challenge of imitating the wooden panels of the crew's lockers. The classical approach using oils didn't satisfy me, so I went with decals by HGW. These 1:32 scale semi transparent decals are beautiful but require a white base coat. Good timing: I ran out or white...a few days later I was finally set to make the first tries, and I'm quite pleased with the results. And that's before gloss clear coat.

Name:	XXIII-201.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	160209

Name:	XXIII-200.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	160210

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2014

Making progress on the galley of my Type XXIII. One can see the counter with the electric stove on top. On the right side was the sink with the salt and freshwater faucets. behind the stove were two storage compartments for cups. Above the stove is the fume cupboard, and above the faucets a cupboard for plates and a pot holder right of it. Most of the plates are stored in a wooden rail above the cupboard and above the plates you can find another storage box. Right of the sink is the active charcoal filter for the fresh water and a radiator.

Name:	XXIII-202.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	160740

Name:	XXIII-203.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	160741

Name:	XXIII-204.jpeg