1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

David, why did you apply superglue on the filled seam? Regards, Jörg

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
      David, why did you apply superglue on the filled seam? Regards, Jörg
      Bondo and similar automotive two-part fillers are polyester based, heavily filled adhesives. They stick well to many substrates but are relatively weak to shear and tension forces -- forces at play as the Bondo and substrate expand and contract at different amounts with changes in temperature. The thin formula CA penetrates the porous filler and bonds it to the substrate. Sticks the filler to the substrate better than just the adhesion properties of the filler alone.

Got the full-blown running gear working -- film at Eleven!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

AHA! Thank you for that description, never thought about this before. So excuse me now, need to apply some CA...
          Jörg

PS does the filler on the pre-drilled floodholes prevent fractures and cracking on the edges during filing?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
            AHA! Thank you for that description, never thought about this before. So excuse me now, need to apply some CA...
            Jörg

PS does the filler on the pre-drilled floodholes prevent fractures and cracking on the edges during filing?
            The only substrate I've found prone to crack propagation has been pure silica glass and acrylic (and, recently, some poor quality Lexan extrusions). GRP and most of the styrene and ABS injection formed materials typically don't suffer crack propagation and I can cut and machine those with no risk of shattering or cracking as a consequence of the stresses imposed during the work. So, short answer: no cracking around the square holes I punched into the GRP hull of this fine kit.

The only reason filler and putty have been applied is to cover surface scaring (scribe, knife and abrasive marks) and to tighten up the form of the square shaped limber holes on the sides of the upper hull.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
              The Magnificent
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

That looks fantastic. Where'd that safety rail go!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                  That looks fantastic. Where'd that safety rail go!
                  Yes it is starting to look like the phase-3 isn't it?

You're looking at the integrations of masters to your hull -- this to validate fit and function. All the running gear is working, the sail fits properly above the hull, and the control surfaces line up correctly without their yokes getting in the way of the outer propeller shaft. Now I can finish the detail work on the masters, make the tools, then the parts which go off to you and Bart (and anybody else on you givme list). Your SD's will follow shortly thereafter as I affirm that my SD has a ballast tank of the correct volume.

I ground off the after conduit and safety tracks for two reasons: The aft conduit got in the way of my removing the soft radius between turtle-back and hull -- I actually cut in a slight gape where the two structures intersect, more in keeping with what we see on the prototype. And the safety tracks, at this scale, were two high and wide. The conduit and safety tracks will be reestablished after all scribing and priming work is completed. Stop whining!

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

And, we're back. During the blackout I have been laying up more hulls. Might as well get ahead of the curve!

Comment

• Aug 2008

And, we're back. During the blackout I have been laying up more hulls. Might as well get ahead of the curve!
                      I've been at it too, pal!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepseadiver
                          Commander
                          • Aug 2008

Hi David its been a while wanted to say hi I hope you remember me you helped me build that Gato cobia submarine. I also bought the kit from you. I'm the guy that was in the Coast Guard and flies RC helicopters on the side . This build you are doing is very impressive with all that detail your doing i enjoy watching you work. You are always giving me new ideas! I'm building the typhoon if you have any suggestion please let me know .

take care Jim Amos
                          Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
                          Put your mind to it. If there's a will there's a way!

Comment

• bwi 971
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            All I can say is......bloody smart.
                            Grtz,
                            Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Fantastic work Mate. That forward hatch had me a bit worried, and I see that I got the bloody dimple off cente! I'm amazed at how beautiful this this is becomimg.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Fantastic work Mate. That forward hatch had me a bit worried, and I see that I got the bloody dimple off cente! I'm amazed at how beautiful this this is becomimg.
                                Hey, I'll forgive you the off-center dimple if you ignore the many ****-up's I've endowed the appendage masters with! Symmetry is the ever allusive and always unattainable objective (unless you're a ****ing robot!).

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...