X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Glueing the railing in place.
    Holes were previously drilled into the gunwale at regular intervals. The holes were drilled with a drill press to be sure the holes were drilled at 90 degrees to the waterline. The railing posts were soldered to the top rail so the railing could be removed in one cohesive unit, make that two, port and starboard. After everything was painted installing the railing started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	175481

G-Poxy was placed in each hole with a pin. Each post was roughed up.

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	175482

Each post of the railing was inserted into each hole. U-shaped spacers were made all to the same height. These spacers were placed under the lower rail against a post. Creative clamping was then done in order to apply equal pressure along the railing length. Port and starboard rails were installed separately. The name on the side is only paper to determine the correct appearance.

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	175483

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	175485

The result.

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	175486

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	175484

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Anchor post.
      I did not have and pics of the anchor handling equipment on this boat, but I did from other boats so I went with this. The anchor post is a few sections of basswood.

Name:	IMG_1463.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	175499

Brass pins were inserted in the bottom and drill marks were made on the deck. A small drill press was placed over the boat bow and these holes were drilled again 90 degrees to the waterline. When the boat framing was built, I had preinstalled reinforcement in this area expecting the need for a solid foundation for this hardware.

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	175503

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	175502

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	175500

Notice the 'weathered' bollards that the anchor line wears away at the wood as it's wrapped around the posts.

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	175501

Painted anchor post. Still need to fashion the windlass gear, eventually.
      Also the white covering boards have been installed around the inside perimeter of the bulwark.

Name:	IMG_2256.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	175504

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

For November and December I was recovering from my foot surgery. In December, I did manage to walk some and was able to get into my basement office and started designing my next scratch built party boat. For January, back to normal working in the shop. Spent January working on getting the electronics and wiring done in the Big Marie S.

For the two kit speed controls I made this mounting tray. The underside of the tray has magnets to attach the tray to the mounts in the boat.

Name:	A IMG_2852.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	178432

Here you can see the magnets mounted to the underside.

Name:	B IMG_3112.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	178427

The mounts secured in the hull.

Name:	C IMG_3110.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	178429

This piece will hold the KeyFob on-off device (on the right). On the left will be on-off switches.

Name:	D IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	178433

Here is how this will fit in the boat. It will held in place by friction and gravity, and connected wires.

Name:	E IMG_3114.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	178428

The mounting plate for the switches is GRP. Here it is drilled out for the switches. The paper taped to it is the artwork. The art was printed on my Laser printer on a page from a magazine. Had to be printed in reverse. The GRP was heated with a clothes iron, then the paper was flipped over then it was heated with the iron separated with a paper towel sheet. Removed the iron, then pressed on with a small roller. Let cool then soak in water. After it soaked for about 10 minutes, peeled the paper off.

The GRP was a 12x12 sheet I bought from McMaster Carr. I have two sheets. 1/32 and 1/16 inches thick. They come in handy for many things.

Name:	F IMG_3106.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	178431

Completed. The terminal block at the left are all grounds, black. The terminal block to the right all positive, red. There is another post the explains the KeyFob device.

Name:	G IMG_3197.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	178434

All negative lines get black heat shrink. All positive gets red heat shrink. Under the heat shrink you see here are bullet connectors. I used 2mm bullet connectors for most of the connections. The small yellow bands make sure the right wires get plugged in where they should be.

Name:	H IMG_3330.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	178430

ESC's mounted in place. Under the ESC's are inline mini spade fuse holders. The fuses are between the ESC's and the motor.

Name:	I IMG_3210.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	178441

You can see a fuse holder between the ESC's. Here the on-off switches and remote on-off device panel is mounted. Held in place with friction, gravity and the wires. Easily removable.

Name:	J IMG_3331.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	178435

The Lipo battery tray.

Name:	K IMG_3115.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	178436

Everything mounted in position. And all easily removable.

Name:	L IMG_3332.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	178440

The ESC tray just pops off for access to the fuses. Notice the magnets.

Name:	M IMG_3333.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	178438

Power is on. When the center switch is toggled to Remote, power goes to the remote device and I can turn power on & off to the ESC's with the Keyfob. If the toggle switch is on Direct, it does not use the remote device and power is applied directly to the ESC's. Why do this you say??? Sometimes you want to dock or tie off the boat while in the water. I can use the Keyfob to turn power off to the motors and not worry about any glitches, etc. If I were to be at a show with the boat on the table, don't need power for the motors. What if I forget the Keyfob at home? Just flick the toggle to Direct and I can still run the boat.
        Why else do this?? Because I can and I like over engineering some things. And it looks impressive! Professional!

Name:	N IMG_3335.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	178437

Another view. I can use the same Keyfob with four other boats. The remote kit came with two remotes.

Name:	O IMG_3336.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	178439

One problem I had with the LED's. I had 'Direct' connected to the positive terminal block. I had the remote-on-off connected to the positive terminal block. And the two ESC's were connected to the positive terminal block. When I put the toggle to Remote, the LED came on. Then when I turned on the remote on-off device, the Direct LED came on. That should not be. I went on an electronics forum and the gents there had me rewire the connections a bit so the LED's now come on when they should.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I so enjoy your methodical approach to the subject -- a place for everything, and everything in its place. The amount of forethought and execution is so inspiring. And your wood work... I can almost smell the sap and glue as you show and describe your excellent work.

Posts like yours, and that first cup of coffee, is the perfect start of the day.

What a beauty!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Sweet installation Ken!-and the woodwork is so crisp!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Posts like yours, and that first cup of coffee, is the perfect start of the day.
              That sums it up David. Ken, I learn and get inspired when you post. I have two surface boats to build, I will try to mimic your abilities.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Three comments from people I that I admire. Thank you guys.

Some more 'woodwork' to show. The doors for the cabin started out as 1/16" GRP.

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	178630

The rails at the bottom here are the top rails with 080 machine screws soldered to them. The bottom rails are already fastened to the cabin sides. They were K&S square stock with one side removed to make it u-channel to act as a receptacle for the doors. Each door had a smaller size modified square channel which slides in the top and bottom rails. Strips of basswood were cut to size, stained and semi-gloss applied.

Name:	IMG_3309.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	178631

The smaller size brass stock is a friction fit on the top and bottom of the doors. Will not be glued. I glued styrene sheet to the outside of one door then changed direction what I was going to do, so I glued styrene to the other two doors so they were all the same. The inside of the doors were spray painted with white satin.

Name:	IMG_3311.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	178628

Gluing the basswood strips to the outside styrene covered side.

Name:	IMG_3316.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	178627

Frames glued, making up the door panel.

Name:	IMG_3319.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	178634

I added a beveled edge to the door panels to give added effect.

Name:	IMG_3321.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	178629

I made the basswood strips slightly oversized, maybe 1/32-1/16, in the window opening so the basswood would act as a stop for the acrylic windows.

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	178632

Here is the inside of the doors. You can see the lip created by the basswood. A black marker was used to color the acrylic edges and the inside of the lip to simulate a rubber gasket.

Name:	IMG_3351.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	178635

Here the windows are glued in place with canopy glue which dries clear. I also fashioned the handles.

Name:	IMG_3489.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	178633

The final finished product will be seen in the next few posts.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

The cabin was masked then painted satin white from the rattle can. It was then wet sanded with 400 grit sand paper and then I decanted clear satin and gave it a top coat with the Paasche air brush that David uses.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3187.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	178637

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3286.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	178638

Prepping the windows. On my other party boat I hand painted the inside window frame and the edge of the acrylic windows. This gave the effect of a gasket around the window. On this boat I did it differently. I used brown magic marker only on the edge of each window. I did not color the frame. Is it good enough for me? To be determined later.

Here I was cleaning up the edges of the windows and using the marker on them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3365.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	178639

The windows were glued in place with canopy glue which worked out well. Each window was custom fitted to its own opening as each opening was different in shape. The windows are a close friction fit, although not all sides come in contact with the frames, but good enough to be glued in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	178641

Close up. Here you can also see the starboard door in place. The top rail is held in place with machine screw bolts so that if it needs to be serviced the rail can be removed. Have to be very gently on the nuts as it would be very easy to pull the machine screw out of the solder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3396.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	178640
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

And finally for today.

I started with satin spar urethane spray as a finish on the seats then ran out. I tried semi-gloss and I liked that so went with it. The bow wrap around seats were glued together, touched up then all seats were sprayed. Three coats, sanding, then another three coats of urethane.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	178645

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3392.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	178644

Why do some pictures poste smaller than others??

Seat were glued in place on those 'brackets' that were so dangerously sticking out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3492.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	178650

Here you can see the starboard door in place with the handle added onto the door. Seats are in place. And, you can see the four support brackets between the windows. I can only surmise that those brackets are there as further support to where the pilot house sits on the cabin deck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3493.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	178646

Door closed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3494.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	178648

Door open.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3495.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	178649

A view with the cabin deck on top of the cabin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3497.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	178647

That will be all for a while. Next work is the cabin deck area getting everything fitted and painted.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Hi Ken,

My goodness! Your skills as a boat builder are really remarkable. Such attention to detail is something to ponder and admire. The true scale of patience here for sure!

Rob
                      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Awesome Ken-so real that I can almost smell the sunbaked clam bellies and stale beer from here!

Comment

Working...