X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishb0y
    Lieutenant
    • Jul 2023

Building my own high quality seals...

After reading the chapter in Bob's book and watching his video on building seals for the WTCs, is there a good source for the cup seals and oillite bearings? If you happen to have part numbers to share, that would be great too!
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fishb0y
    After reading the chapter in Bob's book and watching his video on building seals for the WTCs, is there a good source for the cup seals and oillite bearings? If you happen to have part numbers to share, that would be great too!
    .125" shaft cup seals, Precision Associates, Inc. 530166 01 022 A31533 01

.187" shaft cup seals, Precision Associates, Inc. 530166 01 001 A31426 01

Oilite bearings available from McMaster-Carr.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Fishb0y
      Lieutenant
      • Jul 2023

Excellent, Thank you!
      Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fishb0y
        Excellent, Thank you!
        Fish-boy. A character from the Invader Zim cartoon series (my go-to DVD when working in the shop).

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Fishb0y
          Lieutenant
          • Jul 2023

I used to run the aquatics programs for one the Boston YMCAs when I was much younger. My boss could never remember names, so he called me "that fish-boy" for the first month I worked there.

Comment

• wlambing
            Commander
            • Nov 2020

Beware of assistants named Grrrr!! I miss that cartoon series!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

You can do all that, or keep it simple stupid.

5 minute assembly, Rulon bearings, Pushrod can can angle off center.

I NEVER have moisture in my boats.

A simple 1/8" pushrod seal

FWIW, yes you can put Oilite in the wet, but Rulon (Also McMaster Carr) are designed to BE in the wet. NEVER need re-oiling. More forgiving in angular and concentric misalignment over time. Berfect for shaft component not only for shaft alignment, but thrust bearings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rulon-LR-Bearings.webp
Views:	171
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	173196
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
              NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
              USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Fishb0y
                Lieutenant
                • Jul 2023

I’ll need to check those out too, thanks,

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Suppliers and part numbers were posted to the video that I put on my channel talking about how to build the seals.

Comment

• Fishb0y
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jul 2023

Next time I'll actually watch the video instead of letting it play in the background while I work...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	130
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	173319

Comment

Working...