Chlorinated pool water and electronics do not mix!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Take Bob's method for the 1/8" pushrod and alter it......

1-Using a tubing cutter, cut the 9/32" od Brass tube into ~1/4" lengths. This leaves an internal burr on both ends, which is good
    2-Slightly deburr one side, don't completely remove it.
    3-Insert the cup seal from the deburred side, wet side (cup) facing the untouched burred end. This internal acts as a "stop".
    4-Insert a 1/8"ID x 1/4" Rulon bearing behind the Cup seal. Hopefully there is still enough "burr" for a friction fit on the bearing.
    5-Use a small vise and press fit the bearing in, use a 21/64 drill bit as a stop. This leaves a little play for the cup seal. (1/4" Bearing + 1/16" Cup seal = 5/16", so 1/64" play is set)
    6-Install as desired.

Since my Watertight Compartments utilize 1/4" od, .171" ID Clear PVC Tubing as a push-rod bearing sleeve, I just need to use a 3/16" ID x 7/8" long silicon tube. Gives flexibility in the longitudinal direction as well, like the bellows or silicone tubing method did. Components easily removed for Maintenance or replacement.

Took me less than 10 minutes to make the first three to replace everything used earlier in the thread postings. Click image for larger version  Name:	Seal.jpg Views:	1 Size:	529.5 KB ID:	132788

I would take it to the 80' Depth my boxes are rated at.
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 06-19-2019, 11:42 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...