X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Like a hot knife through butter

Wonder if one could use one of these in cutting the Bronco Type XXIII.

Bob showed something similar in one of his recent YT videos.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Might be OK for a short cut, but a long cut like the XXIII? I’d say no.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

My approach in cutting the Bronco would be:

Put the hull on the keel ans secure it in place (e.g. with pieces of wood that are hot-glued to the base plate. Then you make two identical templates of the cut out of wood and position them correctly left and right of the hull. Then use a cutting wire (0,25 mm) and make the cut using the templates as guides.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Nice idea about the box or trough that hold the hull snugly with the top of the two side walls at the level of the hull cut.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• wlambing
          Commander
          • Nov 2020

Carefully using a razor saw, just under a horizontal molded weld line can provide very good results. Tedious, yes, but quite satisfactory end result. I also used this method on my 1:72 Gato. A tiny bit of sanding and CA build up on any kerf booger and you're golden!

Comment

• SubSteve
            Lieutenant
            • Apr 2022

I hear Dave Merriman uses his laser vision to cut hulls...or a Dremel wheel, I forget...

Comment

• CC Clarke
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Aug 2020

I have Pfrozen's Beam Cure which is excellent - especially when UV-curing putty and resin applied to seams. The light will easily penetrate a 3mm thick hull.

I passed on their next product, the Sonic Sabre which is designed to cut through small resin supports, not plastic. Nice for miniatures, but I have other hand tools that do the same job for a lot less.
              YMMV.

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubSteve
                I hear Dave Merriman uses his laser vision to cut hulls...or a Dremel wheel, I forget...
                You better watch that. David doesn’t like his secret superpowers being talked about.

Comment

• JHapprich
                  Captain
                  • Oct 2017

Id mark the cutting line with a pen and a ruler and use a japan saw/razor saw. Heat/ that vibro-blade etc ruins the styrene hull in my experience. A sharp hobby knife along a steel ruler might work, too.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

If I had to make that cut I would use one of these... They're made by various manufacturers I have a Dremel- I use it for everything... It does plunge cuts and will follow a straight line almost all by itself... Fiberglass, plastic and wood no problem...

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

Well, Logan and I just checked, and our ultrasonic knife sliced through the styrene hull of a skipjack kit like butter, leaving the tiniest kerf and a perfectly straight line. I video'd the process and it will be included in my next update video posting this weekend, but until then, take my word for it, this is DEFINITELY the way to cut a hull....

Comment

• CC Clarke
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Aug 2020

Can't wait to see it in action!

Comment

• Fishb0y
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jul 2023

Originally posted by redboat219
                          Wonder if one could use one of these in cutting the Bronco Type XXIII.

Bob showed something similar in one of his recent YT videos.
                          How do you think this would work cutting a fiberglass hull?
                          Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                            Well, Logan and I just checked, and our ultrasonic knife sliced through the styrene hull of a skipjack kit like butter, leaving the tiniest kerf and a perfectly straight line. I video'd the process and it will be included in my next update video posting this weekend, but until then, take my word for it, this is DEFINITELY the way to cut a hull....
                            Bob, can you post a picture of the product and where you got it? I hope it’s not the one on Amazon for 1200 bucks.

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Come on Bob, give

Comment

Working...