Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

The real boat was 14 meters long (551 inches). Divide that with 34" ( your model) = 16. It's 1/16th scale.

BTW, you're printing this in right and left halves, How will you access the WTC inside?
    Last edited by redboat219; 11-18-2022, 02:27 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
      The real boat was 14 meters long (551 inches). Divide that with 34" ( your model) = 16. It's 1/16th scale.

BTW, you're printing this in right and left halves, How will you access the WTC inside?
      Romel,

Thank you for that information on how to calculate model scales!

My plan will be to use the three inner hull sections to make entrance into the hull itself by cutting the TOP portion of those three inner sections that will lift off for access to the WTC.

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"
      Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-18-2022, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Isn't it possible to modify the files to include the top hatch in the printing?

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Maybe you could go with Manfred's Type XXIII radial hull separation. https://youtu.be/dwpT6FzhrZI .

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
            Maybe you could go with Manfred's Type XXIII radial hull separation. https://youtu.be/dwpT6FzhrZI .
            Romel,

I do not have the ability myself to use a CAD system for the modification of the hull sections. Plus, I already have three sections already printed. If I go the route that I mentioned, I will use a high-end zona saw and cut the hulls by hand to achieve the top removal to gain access into the hull. Patience, time, and accuracy is all that is required! It may take some time, but doing it by hand will give me a much better cut than using any power cutting saw...

Thank you for posting the video! That is another possible way to do the WTC!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Rob,

In the future, if you have a challenge like that, hit me up (or post up here and I'm sure someone else will step up). Slicing STL files is a pretty rudimentary thing for a program like Netfabb or many others. Many STL files out there are not optimized for our needs, so a few minutes of playing around can save hours of labor later.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                Rob,

In the future, if you have a challenge like that, hit me up (or post up here and I'm sure someone else will step up). Slicing STL files is a pretty rudimentary thing for a program like Netfabb or many others. Many STL files out there are not optimized for our needs, so a few minutes of playing around can save hours of labor later.

Bob
                Hi Bob,

These files on the ICTINEO ll where not supposed to be a full blown submarine anyway, just a cut away. Using Simplify3D I was able to go to MESH and build both half hull sections, so I am slowly but surely learning more about how to manipulate files to achieve the end result.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	167011

Not sure what direction I will head to adapt the hull for a WTC, but I will certainly come up with a solution. This is going to be a challenging build for sure, and one REAL robust boat with a 4.5mm wall thickness! :-))

"LOVE THIS HOBBY"

Rob
                Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-20-2022, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Today I finished up the outer hull sections on the ICTINEO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 8.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	167102

Name:	ICTINEO ll 7.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	167103

I have also made the decision as to the propulsion system (550 brushed motor) with the small Viper ESC and I will be using a 2.4 radio system. The only control on this boat is a rudder and it will be controlled with a standard size Hitec servo. The power will be supplied with a 7.2-volt NiMH battery... This is all predesign at this point and is not set in stone. I also need to start designing the WTC as well!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

I have started to assemble the hull sections together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	167138

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	167139

Right now the hull is just taped together to get a feel as to how it will all fit together. It is going to be a challenge, but so far it all seems to be a good fit!

Rob
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-27-2022, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	167139

Rob

Last edited by redboat219; 11-27-2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

I am quite sure that one will work a lot better than the original! Interesting build!
                        I first learned about the Ictineo II from an article of a german modeller who actually made it in RC from wood! A sort of Super-scale model.

Jörg

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Kinda has that Jules Verne vibe.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Tonight, I finally finished putting the hull sections together using a medium CA.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 11.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	167174Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 12.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	167175

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 139.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	167176
                            The above photo shows the HOLLAND, and you can see the similarity in the hulls between HOLLAND and the ICTINEO!

The keel is attached. (Which was a real pain) Next, I will be spending time applying fiberglass and resin to all the seams and joints. I am also going to use some different filler to finish where the keel extended through the hull and to also help shape its final look.

Rob

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

The Ictineo only has one hatch, why are there 2 holes on top?
                              Last edited by redboat219; 11-29-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Hi Romel,

I have two photos that may show you why the two holes in top deck of hull!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll SECTION B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	167180

The large hole in question is located in section "B" and if you look close you will see there is a large insert with a small hatch on the top of that insert!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll CUT-A-WAY.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	167181

This photo shows this area in the in the model's half section view!

Name:	ICTINEO ll TOP VIEW.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	167182

Here is another view of a model that someone did that shows that small hatch and the structure under it!

Rob
                                Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-29-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...