Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Tonight I have been working on the design for the rudder control linkage on the Ictineo ll.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 36.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	168106Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 35.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	168107

What you see here is my printer printing out individual chain links that will become the two chains that will control the rudder actuation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 37.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	168108

This is not the first time that I have 3D printed these chain links. I used them on my Holland build. They are a little time consuming to put together, but they are extremely strong and will work great as the (pull/pull) system for the rudder on the Ictineo ll boat!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-29-2022, 04:07 AM. Reason: More information

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Look for scale chains meant for 1/16 RC armoured vehicles or you could use cheap jewelry chains which come in different sizes.
      Last edited by redboat219; 12-29-2022, 06:23 AM.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
        Look for scale chains meant for 1/16 RC armoured vehicles or you could use cheap jewelry chains which come in different sizes.
        Thanks Romel,

Appreciate your input, but going to try this first! Besides the chain links are a blast to put together! :-))

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Today I started with installation of the two MG90 9g servos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 38.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	168120Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 39.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	168121

I have opened up the slots on both the starboard and port side of the stern section. I will be designing and fabricating brass frames around these openings. I have also got a good start on fabricating the pull/pull chains that will operate the rudder!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Tonight, I found a little time to work on the rudder servo (2) installation.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 40.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	168167Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 41.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	168168

Name:	ICTINEO ll 42.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	168169Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 44.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	168170

I fabricate 2 copper servo arms from copper tubing to add some Strength to the arms. The final length's will be determined after I install the chains from the rudder up to the servo arms. The rudder servos are just temporally installed at this point!

Rob

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version  Name:	ictineo_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	168176

On the outdoor display of the Icteneo the rudder chains pass through a slot in the stern and are actuated inside the hull. You could use a single servo with twin control horns instead of 2. You could put a spring or elastic band between the chain and servo horn to put tension on the chain.

Name:	Notes_221231_131330.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	168178
              Last edited by redboat219; 12-31-2022, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version Name:	ictineo_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	168176

On the outdoor display of the Icteneo the rudder chains pass through a slot in the stern and are actuated inside the hull. You could use a single servo with twin control horns instead of 2. You could put a spring or elastic band between the chain and servo horn to put tension on the chain.

Name:	Notes_221231_131330.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	168178
                Great idea Romel!

Problem is I do not have the room in the stern section to install the servo as you have drawn! But using the same two mini servos and installing the servo arms to the inside of the stern hull I may be able to accommodate the basic same design! Thanks for the drawing! (Honestly I did not like my design either) :-)) Stand by!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

OK! Romel (redboat219)

I took your advice as for concept. I designed my stern section to allow for your concept! "BINGO"

https://youtu.be/GDGymBHH_m4

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-01-2023, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

We use to have a cuckoo clock that utilized falling weights to power it. The weights were attached to small chains that went around a sprocket wheel. Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1) (7).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	168200
                    If you could get your hands on one these sprockets or 3D print one it would be a good alternative to the servo arms. Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1) (8).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	168201Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1) (9).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	168202

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

We use to have a cuckoo clock that utilized falling weights to power it. The weights were attached to small chains that went around a sprocket wheel. Click image for larger version  Name:	images (1) (7).jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	168200
                      If you could get your hands on one these sprockets or 3D print one it would be a good alternative to the servo arms. Click image for larger version  Name:	images (1) (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	168201Click image for larger version  Name:	images (1) (9).jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	168202
                      Thank you Romel! (Make it simple, make it strong, make it work!) But thank you for the suggestion!

I think this qualifies! https://youtu.be/GDGymBHH_m4

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

"Happy New Year" Everyone!!

Today I finished up the installation of the two MG90 mini servos (water proofed) using mineral oil.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 46.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	168209Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 45.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	168210

https://youtu.be/NdfoMxsCdEo

The rudder system using two MG90 mini servos and 3D printed chain for the rudder operation is now complete! After lots of trial and error the system that I have works very well and should give the rudder lots of throw. I am now going to move onto the mounting the stern section to the rest of the hull making it removable of course if repairs are required!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Tonight, I worked on the brass mounting plates that I will be using to mount the stern section of the hull to the main hull!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 47.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	168240Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 48.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	168241

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 49.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	168242

I used brass screw inserts to secure the brass hold down plate. I first drilled out a hole just shy of the diameter of the brass insert. Then I used my heated soldering to heat up the insert so that it would melt the PLA as I pushed into the hole. This method is extremely effective over the use of CA! Installing the brass hold down plates on the outside will just enhance and blend in with the other hatches that are on this boat.

NOTE: THIS IDEA MAY CHANGE!! AND IT DID!! SEE NEXT POST!!

Rob
                          Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-02-2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

OK! I definitely made a change to the original stern section hold down system!

Name:	ICTINEO ll 51.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	168252Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 50.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	168253

I installed 3 3D printed tabs and secured them to the main hull, 2 on the side and 1 in the top. I install brass threaded bushing so screws through the hull can be used to secure the stern section! Much cleaner looking and a better securing fit!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Tonight, I finished up the stern section hold downs, reinstalled the drive motor, and installed the rudder and drive chains (2)!

Name:	ICTINEO ll 52.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	168266

This photo shows the chains installed to the horns temporally. I may move them a little more towards the center.

https://youtu.be/VZ1wMUiFdxE

The video shows the movement I am getting at this point. With a little more adjustment I may even get more. But for as bulky and heavy that this boat is and the weird prop for propulsion, I do not think this boat will be a shaker and a mover in the water! Thats OK! I have achieved what I set out to do to this point. I have more work to do on the WTC and radio system.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Progress report on the Ictineo ll.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 53.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	168344Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 54.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	168345

The stern section (propulsion and rudder) and the stern section hold downs are complete. Next in line is to complete the WTC and the electronics. As noted before this boat will operate in the water, but the boat itself is exceptionally heavy and with the current (to scale) propulsion system it will most likely not move at all, let alone have any rudder authority. I will certainly settle for that and at least have a scaled up full radio controlled model!

Name:	ICTINCO ll 3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	168346

While I am finishing up the scaled up version of the Ictineo ll, I will begin 3D printing (300 parts) the model as it was designed for. A 20.5" long 4.8" high cut-a-way with a fully detailed interior. In my opinion having fully operational scaled up model and the cut-a-way model together will make an interesting display.

Rob

Comment

Working...