X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
    I'm not super-familiar with Ictineo... I assume it used ballast alone for depth control? No planes? What are your thoughts for depth and angle-keeping?

Oh, wait... did you say she was a surface runner only? I can't remember.

Bob
    The real one used shifting weights for pitch control.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Hi Bob,

If you go back to page one of this build blog you will see a YouTube video that Romel (redboat219) put up that showed the Ictineo ll that this guy built that ran on the surface with 90% of the sub submerged. He did not show it going underwater at all.

My plain was to set this boat up the same way, so I guess you could say it will be a surface runner, even though 90% of the boat is running submerged. I do not think I will get to elaborate on a ballast system. It's going to be interesting for sure!

Romel,

I had no idea the real (full scale boat) boat used weight shifting!? So maybe use a piston type ballast system? Piston system in the stern and a piston system in the bow!? Could be done! This whole build is sort of an off the wall build to start with. Love this kind of stuff!! :-))

Thank you, guys, always appreciate the great ideas and input!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat."

CORRECTION: I stand corrected! The ICTINEO ll in the video does have some sort of ballast system which did allow it to go fully submerged!

NOTE: NOT SURE WHAT I AM GOING TO DO JUST YET! This has been one of those builds that builds as it goes!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 26.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	167951Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 25.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	167952

I have changed my mind on this possible design! More to come!
      Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-24-2022, 01:57 PM. Reason: Plane changes

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Shifting weights would work, just not quickly. Precise and fast reaction to pitch alteration would not be feasible without some serious engineering. It should be very possible with a high torque servo and an AD2, but you'd likely want to make it a waterproof servo in the wet.

If you'll be runner her at scale speeds, I don't see an issue with that setup, but once you get water flowing over the hull, you begin to have to contend with hydrodynamic forces over the hull, which can cause wonky things to happen very quickly.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Japanese article on pitch control using shifting weights Click image for larger version

Name:	163ff7ec.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	167943Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221209_013826.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	167945Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221209_013851.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	167946
          Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
            Japanese article on pitch control using shifting weights Click image for larger version

Name:	163ff7ec.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	167943Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221209_013826.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	167945Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221209_013851.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	167946
            Way to complicated for what I need!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

WTC Design!

Name:	ICTINEO ll 27.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	168043Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 28.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	168044

Name:	ICTINEO ll 29.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	168045

The ICTINEO ll will not have a ballast system. It will however lay very low in the water and be a surface runner, as well as a show and tell model.

Rob

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

Rob...I was looking for the meaning of the name-could only find it spelt with an "e" ...Que pasa? either way its pretty cool, but I think its misspelled--BG

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (646).png Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	168047
                Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-26-2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                  Rob...I was looking for the meaning of the name-could only find it spelt with an "e" ...Que pasa? either way its pretty cool, but I think its misspelled--BG

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot (646).png Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	168047
                  Hi Bob,

The CGTrader where I got the files from spelled it ICTINEO! I misspelled it right off the bat on my build blog entry! But I did put a correction on it.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

LOL... I wanted to see the meaning and more pictures of it and when I googled Ictinco... There was very little...hmm, then I tried ictineo...Bingo! A very cool subject, Rob..

... And. "resembling a fish" is perfect!

Comment

• Bob Gato
                      Captain
                      • Feb 2019

It's all good Rob... My name is Bob Gaito.... Right from the get-go I misspelled it ...Bob Gato is a mistake...Lol!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                        It's all good Rob... My name is Bob Gaito.... Right from the get-go I misspelled it ...Bob Gato is a mistake...Lol!
                        Thanks Bob,

OMG! LoL!! Now you have me confused (not hard for an 80 year old) Is not GATO the name of the sub? And you just used it as a play on words?! Or did you just plain miss spell it?

Rob

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

I tried it but then the play on words got old but since it's my username they told me I couldn't change it.....oops That kind of followed me throughout life... I was in the aviation business... The general aviation business. You know private corporate airplanes... The FAA was across the field from where I worked... At the time their office was called the GADO office (General Aviation District Office).. So I was Bob GADO for 15 years... Then the FAA changed the name of the office to Flight Standards District Office... For The last 5 years they called me Bob FISDO!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Tonight, I finished up my WTC for the ICTINEO ll!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	168078Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 31.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	168079

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICTINEO ll 32.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	168080 Click image for larger version

Name:	ICTINEO ll 34.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	168081

After water testing is complete, then comes the electronics!

Rob

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Rob, are you going to use magnets to hold the fore and aft hull togther?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                                Rob, are you going to use magnets to hold the fore and aft hull togther?
                                Hi Romel,

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	168085

Magnets are not going to work. The cylinder is attached to the stern section, and it would just be to heavy to be supported by magnets alone! If you look at the photo above, it shows a brass inserts with a brass strap like I used on the Holland. I will install them on the top and the bottom of the stern section and the adjoining hull section!

If a brass strap would look out of place, the holding structure could be on the inside with just stainless steel screws showing! Some pondering to do!

Rob
                                Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-28-2022, 02:47 PM. Reason: Additional information added

Comment

Working...