X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

ESC Questions

I have a Viper Sub 10 ESC! I have a geared pump motor and a drive (prop) motor 550 size brushed. I want to operate both motors from the one ESC. 99% of the time the drive motor would not be running the same time as the pump motor. I run the drive motor on channel 3 and the pump motor on channel 4!

Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS HOLLAND ESC 60.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	163067

So it seems to me this would be a good viable way to go!? Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

• Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Yes you can, but, it’s actually better to run the motors in parallel. With series, you are saying that they should have the same torque, and that they run at the same speed. If one runs slower than the other, that won't be the case.

Hooking them in paralell means the motor can draw more current if it needs to. Also, be sure the amps of the combined motors are less than the ESC’s max, as I don’t trust that brand any longer to hold up.
    Last edited by Das Boot; 07-21-2022, 06:48 PM.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
      Yes you can, but, it’s actually better to run the motors in parallel. With series, you are saying that they should have the same torque, and that they run at the same speed. If one runs slower than the other, that won't be the case.

Hooking them in paralell means the motor can draw more current if it needs to. Also, be sure the amps of the combined motors are less than the ESC’s max, as I don’t trust that brand any longer to hold up.
      Hi Casey,

The two motors I am talking about are: One is a pump motor for the ballast tank. The other motor is for the prop or drive motor! Not two of the same motors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Geared Pump System 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	163074

PUMP MOTOR FOR BALLAST TANK

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 9.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	163076

DRIVE MOTOR

Rob
      Last edited by rwtdiver; 07-21-2022, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

I don't see how you can have two different inputs to one device (ESC) controlling two different loads (pump and drive motor) if I understand you correctly.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

I misunderstood the question. You can’t have the ESC doing two different motors doing different functions. Just do what you know works.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Technically it's feasible. Just need an elaborate switching mechanism after the ESC to select which motor the ESC will connect to. Something like a servo coupled to a DPDT switch. Throw the switch to one position to connect the esc to the pump, throw it the other way, esc to drive motor.

Just go with K.I.S.S. and use a dedicated ESC for each motor.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

The drawing below explains my idea!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND ESC 61.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	163084

One thing you need to take into consideration! You are only running ONE motor at a time. Also you need to designate only one plug as your power to receiver, the center wire on one plug needs to be removed.

The way I run my boats is really different from most on this forum. I run my boats in a swimming pool only. If I have a ballast system, I generally run the boat around on the surface a little, then I stop the boat and adjust the water level (using the ballast tank) 1 to 2" up the sail. Then I start my run again with the boat somewhat submerged. I have never run the boat with the ballast pump running while I am using the drive motor.

I agree that running two motors (Pump & Drive motor) at the same time could present a problem! As some know, I really like to experiment, some have worked out great and others have cost me!

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

I don’t think this method will work since even with the channel 3 stick on neutral (drive motor stopped), the transmitter will be still sending a neutral signal command through the receiver signal pin on channel 3. Sending another signal through the Y connector by moving the channel 4 stick would mess up the neutral signal on channel 3 and possibly damage the ESC and receiver.

As others have said, it would be better to control the pump motor with a dedicated ESC on channel 4 or simply use a servo with two micro switches to control the pump direction.

Nate

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Rob,

Kudos to you for out of the box thinking. For $38 or whatever, just grab a dedicated ESC for each function. Much more flexibility and a simpler wiring. As redboat said, you can make it happen, but you'll have to engineer and build a switching module after the ESC in order to select which function is being controlled by the TX.

KISS!

Bob

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Name:	blueprints.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	163120Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220722-230932_Samsung Notes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	163099
                    Last edited by redboat219; 07-23-2022, 06:44 AM.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                      Rob,

Kudos to you for out of the box thinking. For $38 or whatever, just grab a dedicated ESC for each function. Much more flexibility and a simpler wiring. As redboat said, you can make it happen, but you'll have to engineer and build a switching module after the ESC in order to select which function is being controlled by the TX.

KISS!

Bob
                      OK everyone, I got what you are all saying! I just throughout something new to see what sticks. Got to keep the brain active!! :-))

Thanks for all the great input and other suggestions!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 64.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	163101

I have two of the smaller Viper ESC's that I could use. One on the pump motor and one on the drive motor. The ballast system I am designing will be a low-pressure system so the pump would not be under much load.

I do have the Viper Sub 10 ESC as well! I would really like to use the smaller ESC's because of space requirements. Thanks for your input guys! Hope you're not getting tired of my experimentation ideas and questions!

Question: Do you all feel that these two ESC's would be adequate for these two motors. I would say the motors are smaller than 550's I do not have specification on either of these motors!?

Rob
                      Last edited by rwtdiver; 07-22-2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

Good. Now back to our regular program.
                        Last edited by Das Boot; 07-22-2022, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

OK everyone, I got what you are all saying! I just throughout something new to see what sticks. Got to keep the brain active!! :-))

Thanks for all the great input and other suggestions!

Click image for larger version Name:	HMS HOLLAND 64.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	163101

I have two of the smaller Viper ESC's that I could use. One on the pump motor and one on the drive motor. The ballast system I am designing will be a low-pressure system so the pump would not be under much load.

I do have the Viper Sub 10 ESC as well! I would really like to use the smaller ESC's because of space requirements. Thanks for your input guys! Hope you're not getting tired of my experimentation ideas and questions!

QUESTION: Do you all feel that these two ESC's would be adequate for these two motors. I would say the motors are smaller than 550's I do not have specification on either of these motors!?

Rob
                          I did have a question which I forgot to add to my previous post. See above. Sorry!

Comment

• neitosub
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

I’m also running a Sub10 ESC on my U-boat, the ESC is running two 390-sized motors connected in parallel with no problems! These ESCs have stall-protection that cuts the current to the motor in case of over-current draw or a tangled propeller (if I remember correctly), so you should be good to go.

Cheers,
                            Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
                              Hi Rob,

I’m also running a Sub10 ESC on my U-boat, the ESC is running two 390-sized motors connected in parallel with no problems! These ESCs have stall-protection that cuts the current to the motor in case of over-current draw or a tangled propeller (if I remember correctly), so you should be good to go.

Cheers,
                              Nate
                              Nate,

So you are running TWO 380 motors on one Viper Sub 10?

I have two of these mini Viper 10, so if I run one for the pump and one for my drive motor I should be good to go? I pretty sure the motor on the pump and the drive motor are at 380 or possibly smaller!

Rob

Comment

Working...