Hms holland 1 build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Professional grade work there, Rob! Very nice!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Photo showing the Bow WTC support and the hold down Velcro straps in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 113.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	164886

The boat is now ready for it's in the water trim out process before the final interior hull finish work.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I have been working on the sealing up the joints on the interior with resin and fiberglass. I also fabricate the WTC hold down straps!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 111.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	164882

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 110.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	164883

I used Velcro and fastened them using small screws through the bottom of the hull to secure them in place.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I have started to do some work on the hull!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 109.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	164788

I have some gaps at the stern area that need a little fill work.

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 108.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	164789

I do use 2 part epoxy type fillers sometimes, but on the stern I chose to use strips of PLA for the gap filler. I will then sand it all down flush.

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 110.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	164790

On this portion of the hull I chose to use the 2 part filler to fill in the gap.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Made a little more headway last evening on the hull itself!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 109.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	164747

I added to brass holding straps on the stern section of the WTC.

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 107.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	164748Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 108.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	164749

I added upper and lower hull section line up tabs to keep the hulls lined up and secure!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Interested to see how that small propeller moves water specially being obscured by the big stern.

Maybe print a new stern cone that tapers down to the propellers hub. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220914-111905_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	164713
    Hi Romel,

What would I do without your keen eye! You certainly have a point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	164731

The above photo (PDF files that were part of print files) shows the end cap where the prop shaft protrudes. (PALIER AR) I used the end cap as my exit point and shaft support but with no gap around the shaft.
    I do understand what you are saying and have given it some thought through the night. I may have come up with a possible solution!?

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	164732

I have incorporated 3 - 5/16" holes in the below water line area of the stern. There are several large holes in the bottom of the stern so with my added holes this should give some water circulation. I really do not want to try and take the existing stern off and replace with an entirely new design!

I do thank you for your keen eye and for taking the time to keep me in check!! :-))

ESSAI 2 HOLLAND S1 - YouTube

Rob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-14-2022, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Interested to see how that small propeller moves water specially being obscured by the big stern.

Maybe print a new stern cone that tapers down to the propellers hub. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220914-111905_Chrome.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	164713
    Last edited by redboat219; 09-13-2022, 11:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I can finally say that the stern section of the Holland is complete!! :-))

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 104.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	164709Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 103.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	164710

These two top photos show the rudder (right) and the dive plains (left) linkage installation and final hook up! You can also see the main drive shaft and the prop system is in and complete.

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 106.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	164711

This photo shows the total completed stern section. At full throw on the rudder and dive plain sticks I am getting between 30 to 40 degrees deflection on both directions! This has been somewhat of a challenge to get together. The entire stern section on this boat can be completely dismantled because of the use of stainless steel fasteners which would allow for any type repairs if required!

Next will be to move on to the hull completion and the mounting system for the WTC.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Tonight, I got the main drive shaft connected up to the prop, and the servos set up for the rudder and the dive plains!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 100.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	164673

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 101.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	164674

Tomorrow I will cut the linkage rods to add the magnetic couplers, and then mount the horns to the control surfaces.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubDude

Oh yeah.... The weather is looking good and it is coming together. Plan to head out mid-day Thursday.
    Thats GREAT Steve!

Eiven though I can't be there I am excited, and I sure will be thinking about you guys and the great time you will all be having! :-)) Have fun and stay safe!

Rob

Special Note: I want to pay tribute to all the first responders that paid the ultimate price for their heroism, and those that were injured on 9/11/2001...

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2022, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thank you Steve!

My cylinders sure do not hold a candle to those you fabricate for large scale submarine, not only in size, but complexity! But having only a swimming pool to operate in allows me a much simpler type of cylinder to operate with. The cylinders you engineer and fabricate for your large subs are a sight to behold! I do envy you and your talents!!

I bet you and all those going to SubFest are now counting the hours! :-))

Rob
    Oh yeah.... The weather is looking good and it is coming together. Plan to head out mid-day Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    This afternoon I was able to install the WTC into the hull so that I could line up the main drive shaft, and the rudder and dive plain control linkages!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 96.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	164600

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 98.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	164601

As you can see in the above two photos I was able to get a straight shot on the main dive shaft, as well as the rudder and dive plain linkages! I am very pleased to say the least!!! :-)))

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubDude
    Very clean cylinder layout Rob. You are getting closer to being done with another one.
    Thank you Steve!

My cylinders sure do not hold a candle to those you fabricate for large scale submarine, not only in size, but complexity! But having only a swimming pool to operate in allows me a much simpler type of cylinder to operate with. The cylinders you engineer and fabricate for your large subs are a sight to behold! I do envy you and your talents!!

I bet you and all those going to SubFest are now counting the hours! :-))

Rob

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Very clean cylinder layout Rob. You are getting closer to being done with another one.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I finished up the WTC for the Holland last night!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 95.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	164590

The above photo shows the change I made as to the Receiver (which I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks) antenna install! I have tested this system out to 40 feet and in the water, and it worked great! I do not run my boats anywhere except my swimming pool. The furthest away I would ever be is 25 feet from the sub. I weighted the cylinder down to 1 foot below the surface stood off 15 feet and it performed great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 97.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	164591

I did install a remote on/off system that I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks and it works great on a 3 cell (11.1 volt) battery. I also added a voltage indicator to the power side!

Now that the WTC is complete, I will move onto finishing up the stern section of the hull and hooking up the rudder and dive plain linkages!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-10-2022, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...