Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I am about ready to start the finish work on the sub hull!

Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 114.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	164965

I am going to be adding scratch-built rivets to all the joints. I am using pieces of white PLA for the rivet itself. It will take some time, but it will be a better representation of the actual Holland boat. The actual print files did have some of the rivets, but not all!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Get it in the water or it’s all for nothing.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
        I am about ready to start the finish work on the sub hull!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 114.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	164965

I am going to be adding scratch-built rivets to all the joints. I am using pieces of white PLA for the rivet itself. It will take some time, but it will be a better representation of the actual Holland boat. The actual print files did have some of the rivets, but not all!

Rob
        Are you heating the ends of the filaments against a flame to get a mushroom shape to replicate the rivet heads?
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Romel,

The rivets will remain very close to the skin of the boat hull and not rounded!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HMS HOLLAND 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	164981

And those that are on the upper hull and part of the STL files will be flatten out somewhat as well! I am not going to try and to do full out exact replica of this boat! I am not and will never be a RIVET COUNTER!! :-))

Rob
          Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-23-2022, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Try using brass tubing to emboss the circular rivet head. Use an exacto blade to shave the end of the tube to a sharp edge.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
              Try using brass tubing to emboss the circular rivet head. Use an exacto blade to shave the end of the tube to a sharp edge.
              Romel!

I am going to pretend I did not see this post!!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                I want to see this running in the water.
                Casey,

Some of us have other things to attend to in life! I work the boat as much as I can! And by the way, in case you have not noticed, I have built over 14 Boats in the last 2.5 years and 90% I have a build blog on! 85% of these boats all have there own WTC and I have put videos and photos of them in the water! Cut me some slack!

How many have you built and posted up!!??

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

I’m not good on building logs. I’m not pushing, I’m motivating. Your work is always over par. I just never see any run. Hell, I didn’t take any video of mine running in Georgia.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                    I’m not good on building logs. I’m not pushing, I’m motivating. Your work is always over par. I just never see any run. Hell, I didn’t take any video of mine running in Georgia.
                    Casey,

I understand!

And just know that I do appreciate your comments very much and your good advice along the way. I do apologize for getting a little uptight with you! Truth be known, the only reason I spend a lot of my time posting is not only to get advice from you and those that know so much more about building submarines than I do, but with my health situation I do not get out much at all. So, to be honest with you Casey and all those that do comment on my build blogs on this forum I consider you all friends!

I so much look forward each day to going through our forum and seeing what everyone else is doing and trying to learn as much about this hobby as I can. I also really look forward to the Zoom Dive Tribe meetings we have twice a month! (Why haven't you joined?)

OK! Enough of this whining stuff, I need to get back to building so that I can get the dam boat in the water! :-))

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

I have one side of the upper hull riveting complete!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 115.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	164991

Once the rivets are all installed, I will level them all off to the same and correct height.

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Very nice work, Rob! I love it!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                          Very nice work, Rob! I love it!
                          Thanks Bob!

Today was my first day setting up the CG and weight for trimming the boat.

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 117.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	165064

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 118.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	165065

I know looking at the bottom photo that the stern is sitting low in the water! This is exactly how the full scale boat rides in the water. The stern section on the boat has a slight downward angle to it which gives it this stern low look. I will post of some photos of the full scale so that you can see the boat in actual movement.

I am very pleased with how the boat trimmed out! But when I pulled the boat out of the water and removed the top and pulled the WTC out, the WTC was not so tight!!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 116.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	165066

I found that water was coming around the seals, so I wrapped one piece of high end electrical type around the cap to see if that would seal the end cap. It did not! So, on further investigation I found that the spray sealer that I applied to the end caps did not allow the rubber seals to seal tight and the electrical tape did not seal tight to the end cap either!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 82.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	165067

So! In closing, do not use this product to seal your PLA end caps. I used to use Z-Poxy Finishing Resin which worked great, but took more labor and longer to set up. I thought the spray would be the answer, it was NOT the answer, not for WTC end caps.

So I am making new end caps and starting over again!

ANOTHER LESSON LEARNED # 1453!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Here is a actual photo of the HMS Holland 1 in action!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 119.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	165076

As you can see the stern is running deep when under power! Even when the Holland is not underway the stern still sits low in the water! This is how I have set up my Holland to run when she is under power!

Rob

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

That's actually a picture of HM Holland 1 being launched stern first off of the slipway, they never had anywhere near that freebaord when sailing .

This picture of HM Holland 2 more accurately depicts the surfaced waterline, which was minimal.

They used to flood the rear trim tank to get the stern as far underwater as possible to minimise ventilation of the prop and give better bite for the rudder.

The low freeboard made them less useful as vessel in the open sea, so they were largely confined to defending ports and quickly became obsolete. They work great as models though!

Name:	holland2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	165080

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                                Here is a actual photo of the HMS Holland 1 in action!

Name:	HMS HOLLAND 119.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	165076

As you can see the stern is running deep when under power! Even when the Holland is not underway the stern still sits low in the water! This is how I have set up my Holland to run when she is under power!

Rob
                                SubCulture! You sure did get me on that one!!:-))

As I take a closer look at the photo, I totally see what you are saying! Thank you very much for keeping me on tract! The photo you put up, is what I am trying to trim my Holland at. I am running it in a swimming pool and with no ballast tank, so I will operate it as a dynamic diving boat!

Thanks again for correcting my (now I look at it) obvious error:-))

Rob

Comment

Working...