X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by rwtdiver

I am also going to use linear servo set ups. (Special shout out to "SUB ED" for his great design! He designed the special mount that just fits on the standard size servos. Fits perfect on the Hitec servo!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Those linear adapters look like the ones that I offer...

NOTE - this is a digital file, not a physical product! This is a quick and easy adapter for converting rotary motion of a full-sized servo to linear motion. File includes the adapter piece only. Builder is responsible for sourcing and installing: the pushrod linkage stopper on the servo 1/16" brass linkage rod 3/32" brass tubing sleeve for the adapter adhesive for securing adapter to the servo View an overview video here.

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

I have to admit that as I follow this thread and learn more about the Holland it has me wanting to build one.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        • Aug 2009

Ignore the leads coming out the antenna side. They're for programming. Nothing to concern yourself with.

If you look at the markings on the top of the receiver, the pins literally pop through the markings showing their job. In this case, the "top" pins (according to how you are holding it) are negative, center is positive and bottom is signal (black, red and white respectively).

Also.. the manufacturer ships these with stubby antennas. To get full reception, you need a complete 1/4 wavelength antenna. A 75mhz wavelength is 3.997m. 1/4 of that is .999m, or 39.33inches. You can snip the stock antenna about an inch from the unit and then splice on a length of 22ga wire that is 38.33 inches long to get your full antenna.

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Good ingenuity Rob! And very colorful :o)

Comment

• Sam Victory
            Commander
            • Sep 2021

Cool components with colorful 3D printed items! Did you design and print all of these colorful parts yourself with 3D modeling? Respect! Reminds me of the famous saying: It's never too late to learn.

V

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Thanks Steve!

It may not work very well, or at all! I like trying new ideas that are not always by the book and you never know what you might come up with! I think you are the same way!! Your builds are certainly pushing the limits! and that is a good thing! Keep it up! :-))

As for the colors, orange and green is all I have left of the Dremel PLA so I thought I would just use it up! Dremel white PLA is now going for $68.00 a roll on Amazon, if they have it!

Rob
              That's expensive stuff. I just got 5 spools of ABS for less than $100.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Rob, it can be a pinch valve or something like that. When that is opened it will flood your ballast. Then you close the valve and use the pump to pull the water out (and air in).
                I do not think a check valve would work.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

I have a question about the low pressure ballast system?

This photo shows a flood valve! is that similar to a check valve?

With that in mind, would the pump that I am using (above photo) require a flood valve/check valve?

Rob
                  That particular pump is a diaphragm type pump designed to pump fluid ( air or water) in one direction only, it has a set of rubber flap check valves inside. For pumps that work in either directions (reversible) you need a gear or peristaltic pump.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Unattainable with current pump. As I stated before diaphragm pumps are unidirectional. You can pump water in but not out ( reverse also holds true, water out but not in).

You could however use two of those pumps. One dedicated to pump water in the other one to pump water out.

As you'll only be using one pump at a time current draw would be similar to using a single pump. Problem is finding space inside the WTC for the second pump.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 07-15-2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Don't give up on the ballast! Just find a little gear pump and your problem will be solved! I have a few here that I've collected over the years. I'm sure I could find you one to use.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                        Don't give up on the ballast! Just find a little gear pump and your problem will be solved! I have a few here that I've collected over the years. I'm sure I could find you one to use.

Bob
                        Take him up on that offer, Rob! A gear-pump, a solenoid driven pinch-valve and you're done. You've already built the ballast sub-system infrastructure... USE IT!

Hell, Bob... don't wait on Rob's reply, send him a gear-pump, pronto, before our man has a chance to think about it!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

And, I bet he could get away with not using a pinch valve. Any leakage through the pump would be negligible. This is a low pressure pump system, not high pressure like an OTW unit might be. Pump and you're done!

Whadda ya say, Rob!? Can discuss at DIveTribe today!

Bob

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Maybe Bob has these in stock.

Comment

• neitosub
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Nov 2021

I have these in two of my boats, they work great and are fairly compact. One suggestion I have is to seal around the plastic casing with a bead of RTV silicone. I noticed that these pumps do cause condensation in the WTC after a run, most likely from small amounts of moisture leaking from the pump.

Nate

Comment

Working...