Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

I'm surprised by the bleaching of the paint even if you're running underwater most of the time.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
      I'm surprised by the bleaching of the paint even if you're running underwater most of the time.
      Bleaching is dead marine-grown. Starts the moment you surface a few miles from the channel. By evening time the boat looks even worse.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Bleaching is dead marine-grown. Starts the moment you surface a few miles from the channel. By evening time the boat looks even worse.

David
        I bet it stinked too.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman

And people wonder why brick and mortar hobby stores are going out of business left, right and center. Today's buyers won't get out of bed to buy things. They want to browse, search and buy from the comfort of home and have it delivered an hour later. Amazon has created that expectation. Mom and pop stores can accept that and get with the times or they can die a slow and painful death.

Harsh, but true.

Bob
          They do plenty of business locally and in the surrounding areas. They also have a huge dirt track that have meets and sanctioned races most of the year. They don’t need to have a fancy website.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Got my Pasche H airbrush. I painted a sheet of poster board black with a clear coat. Now it's time to practice oil canning as per all of the info that David posted.

A few posts on David's technique's
            https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/tips-...arkings-part-2
            https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/gener...457#post156457

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3945.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	157865

I can count the number of vertical and horizontal squares he did on this Skipjack sail to determine the widths and heights of the maskings. My sail is black so I'll be mixing up a light gray acrylic mix to experiment with on the black poster board sheet. Lets see how this goes! How hard can this be?

Click image for larger version  Name:	tvVm5i.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	157866
            Last edited by Ken_NJ; 01-11-2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

You go Ken!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Set air-brush to 'kill'.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	87BD11CF-CB17-459A-B750-F71E7EAE2312.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	157873 I got one after the regatta.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Have you used it yet Casey?

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                      Have you used it yet Casey?
                      I painted the oxide red on the 1/96 Skipjack.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Having a problem with the Pasche airbrush, no paint coming out. I have the number 3 tip in and moved it all the way in and out. The paint is thinned to water consistency. Adjusted the air from 20 to 40 pounds. I feel air coming out the tip, no line leaks. Tried the cup and 1 oz container. Still no paint coming out. Any ideas? For now will try other airbrushes while I iron out these issues with the Pasche. Any ideas guys?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

Try it without paint.. maybe straight thinners. If it sprays with straight thinners then it's probably not the airbrush more like the paint is not thin enough or the air pressure is not high enough ...I see in an earlier post that you've used it -good possibility that it's just clogged with dried paint. Take it completely apart and check all the internals especially inside the cone and the feed orifice.. you should be able to blow through it... You said air is coming out of the tip so that's not a problem with the needle. I used to shoot catalyzed polyurethane aluma grip.. no matter how I blew it out I always would blow it out with mek after I'm done but paint would still build up and eventually I had to disassemble and soak it in paint stripper.. you're not going to have that problem but I do think you're going to need to disassemble it and clean all the paint out of it with a solvent.
                          Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-12-2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

Bob, this is the first time using this Pasche airbrush. Earlier posts were with other types. Below is what I'm having a problem with. No long needle and innards to clean up, just the feed from the paint container.

I have it cleaned up from my first shot of it. It does spray thinner OK. And I had the nozzle off, after I put it back together it sprayed thinner. I'll retry paint another day.

Name:	IMG_3946.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	157901

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

My first attempt at practicing on poster board. Is the color to light? The paint is value 3 on the gray scale chart. Each square is 15/32" x 15/32".

Some of the problems I see. In the last pic I have the registration off and I applied the paint too heavy and inconsistently between squares. I was trying to apply with the far corner the heaviest and the two opposite corners lighter. Kinda like you see snow accumulating on windows.

David? What do you think?

Name:	IMG_3950.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	157903

Name:	IMG_3951.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	157904

Name:	IMG_3952.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	157905

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Ken,
                                Some of the squares are a bit too heavy, but you are practicing so no biggie. You could remark and do a little black or try spraying a very thinned down almost black wash over the top of it and see if it gives you the toned down look you want. Also when you do your clear coat it will also darken a bit. In some ways, you have added pre-shading and you may be surprised how it will look when you are done.
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...